xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spyda

1and1 Scam! [resolved] NEVER REGISTER ANY DOMAINS OR SERVICE FROM 1AND1

Never register domains or ANY service from 1and1. I repeat... never REGISTER ANYTHING from 1and1. Read the the story below for more info.

It was about a year or so ago when I registered 3 .com domain names from 1and1. I rarely used the domains, but anyhow the time came when I could either renew it or let them expire. I decided to let them expire and I thought that was the end of it. About one week ago, I get a call from a debt collection agency saying I owe 65 dollars to 1and1 from lack of payment for the domains. I thought that this was ridiculous until I found out that with 1and1 you CANNOT just let the domains expire. You have to do this whole process of canceling the domains, ect that includes a fax by you, ect. Nonetheless, I owe 1and1 65 dollars for domains I don't want.

Bottom line, don't buy ANYTHING from 1and1. Just search google for "1and1 scam" to read stories far worse than this one. If you need a domain or web host, try Xisto - Web Hosting and Xistodomains.

Thanks!

I don't know about you mate but i have two domains registered on 1and1 and they are working fine. :/ Why did you wanted to cancel the domains? You payed for 1 year so if you don't want to use them, don't use them... you don't even had to cancel them, just left them without hosting and etc and chill. ;)

isn't that the company who was giving away top level domain name for free for a year a couple years ago?

Yes that company used to give free hosting and domain for a year. I guess this is how they are picking up random people and covering up the cost. Not sure when they enforced this policy. In any case you need to be in touch with any announcement they made for this domain registration and expiry. remember when you purchase them you sign up TOS/Agreement with them and if you don't look closely you need to give them money so did you missed any rules while signing up. If you do then there is no point in blaming. Every free thing on internet comes with some catch especially hosting and domain. Unless you spend time or some cash indirectly these two things are not free at all. Anyway, i'm sure that company made some announcement before taking such actions because it is going way fine and many people are still using it for cheap domains.

1and1's service is below average, compared to companies like FatCow.

Personally, I thought that after taking note of the bad reviews with FatCow and the personal experience with the downtimes with the MySQL databases, I thought transferring to another host, 1and1, would make my internet life less miserable.

I was not satisfied, however. 1and1 does not provide settings (goes for FTP settings too) where you can make your own username, etc. They make an extremely hard to remember login, "CUSTOMER ID #" which I have to paste because I do not want to remember the numbers.

And also, when I asked them a question on transferring my domain and also including a query that I typed in the wrong address... they replied 1-2 days later (which compared to other companies who has 24/7 support services, is despicable!) telling me instructions on how to change my address. They even did it step by step, as if the procedure was less than obvious!

TG I didn't register with them, I'd probably have to wait a few days until it could get registered.

I don't have anything against 1and1. Just really disappointed with them. :/

Edited by TracieSylvie (see edit history)

1and1's service is below average, compared to companies like FatCow.

Just for your information, fatcow has some noticeable downtime. Just like Xisto - Web Hosting and fatcow does a lot of overselling as well. I used to promote fatcow a lot but i don't do that anymore. Service from CH, Fatcow are same these days. They used to be very good earlier but now they are average hosts with some overselling sales pitch.

1and1 has a lot of issues like lack of cpanel or fantastico, softaculous which makes installing script very hard. I don't know why they can't afford free license of softaculous which has atleast 30 scripts.

Just for your information, fatcow has some noticeable downtime. Just like Xisto - Web Hosting and fatcow does a lot of overselling as well. I used to promote fatcow a lot but i don't do that anymore. Service from CH, Fatcow are same these days. They used to be very good earlier but now they are average hosts with some overselling sales pitch.
1and1 has a lot of issues like lack of cpanel or fantastico, softaculous which makes installing script very hard. I don't know why they can't afford free license of softaculous which has atleast 30 scripts.

Speaking of their downtime, FatCow is actually way below average. The appearance/layout of FatCow is a lot more cuter than 1and1, however.
Wow! What should I do... I bought 1and1's beginner hosting package and boy oh boy, am I disappointed. (yes I have to repeat that)

Have you seen their control of Wordpress? You can't even upload your own themes, they pick the themes for you and most of them do not suit my kind of layout... Yuck :(

Speaking of their downtime, FatCow is actually way below average. The appearance/layout of FatCow is a lot more cuter than 1and1, however.Wow! What should I do... I bought 1and1's beginner hosting package and boy oh boy, am I disappointed. (yes I have to repeat that)

Have you seen their control of Wordpress? You can't even upload your own themes, they pick the themes for you and most of them do not suit my kind of layout... Yuck :(

Yes. I have seen their control panel and wordpress. Sometimes it becomes really hard to upload plugins on their control panel which requires .htacess or other permission settings. I don't know what they are offering with such age old technology. I don't recommend this hosting and domain registrar to anyone. Not scam but it's just old enough and poor support that they have makes me to discard them.

A few days ago I tried buying a Dedicated server from them using my Debit Card. It took a while for them to reply to my support ticket as they have not done anything for 3-4 days. On the 5th I got an email from them asking me for a copy of my passport, Bank statement and driving license. I phoned them up and said it was outrageous for them to have this sort of information which they may pass on or get hacked or leaked ect... I therefore cancelled my Dedicated server and went somewhere else. The bill was not even $200+. After reading many more reviews of 1 and 1 the quality of them seems to be very poor along with the customer service. I also agree do not get any service with 1 & 1.I am now just about to start up my web hosting once it is up I hope some of you will review it for me.

I don't know what makes you buy dedicated server from 1and1. Atleast you should have asked here in forums before going ahead with them. If not on this forum you could have gone to sites like webhostingtalk or some other. Slicehost seems to be the better and cost effective VPS and dedicated host. If you want much better server control then wiredtree is another good service you can check. Don't waste your time for dedicated servers on 1and1.