xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FouGilang

20 Month Punishment For Raping 16 Years Old Girl?

I've read, watch, or heard many crime reports without any interest, but this one really stole my attention. Or maybe this is the only one that could get my attention

Well just let you know, most of the rapist in my country are spending merry time in the jail for at least 5 or 8 years. But on this case, where the victim is an under age high school girl, the rapist only get 20 months from the court. It just stupid, and worse because the court was leaded by woman. Can't she feel awful for helping the rapist? Or can't she see how bad it is for the victim, when she was desperate for justice?

Of course, the family from victim's side went crazy and screaming for justice while the victim herself went unconscious.
Everyone there, except the rapist and his family, were protested the court. But nothing can change the court's decision when it has been decided. So the victim's family went to the children protection association to ask for help.

The association itself found many weird things on the court's doing. Like being late for hours, cancelling the court schedule, and other weird stuffs. Now they went to search for any evidence why this could happen.

Yeah, what happened? This case is the lowest. Nobody helped the rapist (only his mother helped him). They got enough evidence to send the rapist to jail for a minimum of 10 years. Nobody ever thought that the result will be very low. This is ridiculous.

If you want to read the news, you can go to http://www.detik.com/
It's in indonesian, so you might want to use google translate there
I couldn't get the tv news record anywhere though

A 10-month sentence isn't justice served to the victim. If it were an estafa case, sure, it's acceptable but it's a rape case. And base on your description, the judge who made the verdict is also a woman. What? I don't know but I don't understand why that would happen. I believe Indonesia is an Islamic state, right? And from my little knowledge of Islam, it is very strict with regards to these matters. (I'm not sure though. Plus they have the state - religion separation.)Several years ago, one rape suspect was sentence to death (lethal injection) in my country. Still, there are still tons of sexual harassment victims who just ended up shutting their mouths because of the scandal it would bring to their family. This is sad. And lately, I read a news paper ad with a title "Foreigner Rapist". Apparently a foreigner, serial rapist has been raping girls in my country. Well, it's hard to explain. Respect women.

Rapists are every where , in america , europe , asia and even in islamic countries !The ugly truth , is that most of the time they can run out with their crimes without any punishment , not because the law are not applied , but most of the time , victimes are shy and they don't go to the police ,so to eliminate this phenomenon from our societies Women ,girls and boys must know their rights , must go to the police if something wrong goes with them.And , authorities must take all necessary measures to prevent this to happen , and juges must obey to the law and enforce the sentence !If you want to have sex -- Get married !

well i was interested in going to that article to find out why the sentence was so low. there had to be a reason. anyway, i clicked on the link and quickly found out i couldn't read any of it because it wasn't even in english. that really pisses me off when someone would post something in english and link to something that isn't. what the @#$%

For those of us who don't read Indonesian here is the Google translate link

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=id&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fus.detiknews.com%2Fread%2F2010%2F03%2F10%2F070144%2F1314964%2F10%2Fsiswi-smea-diperkosa-jaksa-hanya-tuntut-pelaku-2-tahun-penjara%3F991102605

Not that it tells much more detail than FouGilang already told us. I don't mind if the link is in Indonesian as long as the original poster does not leave any details out in their translation, which does not seem to be the case in this post.
As for the story...Real men do not rape!!! If i was a judge I'd give the death penalty and only the victim the option of letting the rapist live and instead receive only a near death lashing. A lashing that will have them crippled with pain for the next year at least.
That is the only way to sort them out. Non of this prison bs where they live of taxpayers money and learn to be a gangster to only rape and steal even more. Prison does not rehabilitate people, instead it makes them better criminals.

thanks for the new link. i am not a big fan of transaltions because words can easily be lost in a translation. and this translation is a real disappointment in my opinion.

the article just tell about a so-called rape and how the sentence was so small. it doesn't even cover the facts or why the sentence was so small. i am not one to comment or jump to conclusions when i don't have the facts and the article listed no facts to a "rape". it did mention that there was penetration but that doesn't constitute rape. sorry, i will need more information than that to even have an opinion.

i don't agree that if there is a rape, a victim decides wether someone lives or dies. a victim can never be as objective as a third party like a judge or jury. also, with any act, there is a certain degree that differs from case to case to better define what really happened rather than use 1 word to describe the whole situation, like "rape". for example, if i were to say i killed a man, i would surely deserve to die since killing a human being is worse than raping one, right? but in my circumstance, i was defending myself. if i did nothing to defend myself, i would have surely been killed my own self. so in my case, i may have killed someone, but i didn't murder them.

it's really easy for people to be blinded by an article like this. especially when no facts are in the article to even justify a rational opinion.

at one point in my life, i was all in favor of the death penalty. even for situations like rape or dealing drugs to children. now though, i have changed my thinking because when we can easily put someone to death in certain situations, it means more innocent people who are wrongly convicted will be put to death as well because it's a fact that innocent people ARE wrongly convicted all the time. so at lest here in the united states when we hear "innocent until PROVEN guilty", that is such a lie. it's just pretty words to sugar coat a faulty justice system because we have already proven hear in the united states that innocent people do get judged and convicted wrongly where there was no PROOF.

then again, guilty people get off all the time too whether there is no punishment or justice handed down, or the punishment doesn't even come close to fitting the crime.

that article seems biased to me and that picture looked planned to me. if there are any other articles that can state and why the punishment was so low, i would be itnerested in reading them. otherwise, i can't really take this article or picture too seriously and assume maybe it wasn't a traditional rape case with obvious assumptions attatched which would justify a lower sentence.

For those of us who don't read Indonesian - 

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=id&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fus.detiknews.com%2Fread%2F2010%2F03%2F10%2F070144%2F1314964%2F10%2Fsiswi-smea-diperkosa-jaksa-hanya-tuntut-pelaku-2-tahun-penjara%3F991102605

Not that it tells much more detail than FouGilang already told us. I don't mind if the link is in Indonesian as long as the original poster does not leave any details out in their translation, which does not seem to be the case in this post.
As for the story...Real men do not rape!!! If i was a judge I'd give the death penalty and only the victim the option of letting the rapist live and instead receive only a near death lashing. A lashing that will have them crippled with pain for the next year at least.
That is the only way to sort them out. Non of this prison bs where they live of taxpayers money and learn to be a gangster to only rape and steal even more. Prison does not rehabilitate people, instead it makes them better criminals.

Maybe having watched too much movie, the rapist is from a middle-powerful family whereby they can get away with such a short term for a crime like this. Like the say, movie mirror the real life.Another explanation that I can think of, thou I know not be saying, Indonesia (I presume it happened) is a Muslim country and in the religion, women have lesser standing than guys. But the judge could not let him go scot free else she will risk the wrath of the general public.Having said that, I am add on that this is all my presumption.

oh my, i'm sorry for being too misleading here and there. i was so wanted to inform this, and after some days passed finally i can post via my mobile phone. :D i first found this news on a daily news channel (i was really bored at the time, and this news brought me back to earth). if only i could find the most approriate article about this. now, if you let me answer your questions while googe looking for the articles...

I believe Indonesia is an Islamic state, right? And from my little knowledge of Islam, it is very strict with regards to these matters. (I'm not sure though. Plus they have the state - religion separation.)

well on the basic, indonesia is NOT an Islamic country. it is some kind of republic archipelago or something like that (i don't know how to say this in english, but if you can translate it clearly, it is "Negara Kepulauan Republik Indonesia" --' ) . its written laws is based on democracy, pancasila, and its "Undang-Undang Dasar Republik Indonesia 1945" (The Constitution of Indonesia in wikipedia) so although you're correct to say that most of indonesian are Muslim, you're wrong to say that indonesia is an islamic government.

well i was interested in going to that article to find out why the sentence was so low. there had to be a reason. anyway, i clicked on the link and quickly found out i couldn't read any of it because it wasn't even in english. that really pisses me off when someone would post something in english and link to something that isn't. what the @#$%

well i did mention that was not in english, so let's just move :P

i'm sorry for the short article, that is the first approriate (or i though it was) i can find about this case. i wonder why there are many other but finding the real one come from the news channel is real work .___.a

why the judgement sentence is too low? in easy word : because it happened in indonesia

based on indonesia constitution book number 23 year 2002 (children safety and protection), it said

(1) Setiap orang yang dengan sengaja melakukan kekerasan atau ancaman kekerasan memaksa anak melakukan persetubuhan dengannya atau dengan orang lain, dipidana dengan pidana penjara paling lama 15 (lima belas) tahun dan paling singkat 3 (tiga) tahun dan denda paling banyak Rp 300.000.000,00 (tiga ratus juta rupiah) dan paling sedikit Rp 60.000.000,00 (enam puluh juta rupiah).

or in short : whoever deliberately forced children to do sexual with him/her or other person, they'll punished for at least 3 years and at most 15 years imprisionment and/or pay the fines of Rp 60 millions to Rp 300 millions

and indonesian KUHP (the book of criminal law) verse 283 and 293 about rape and abuse, plus the fact that the victim is under age. damn if i could just find the crime news record, it was 100% clear there :angel:

i don't know how it is in other country, but in indonesia, rapists are punishable. and people won't just "let it go" when it comes to their children. most of them are sent to jail for about 5 (i've seen where it said to be 13 years).

Wow , i have seen some bad comments on this topic !!

kleong said

Another explanation that I can think of, thou I know not be saying, Indonesia (I presume it happened) is a Muslim country and in the religion, women have lesser standing than guys

In REAL muslim communities * or countries * , Muslim women and men are equal ,that's what ISLAM saying that there is no difference between people *black or white , man or woman * , Ok ?

Thank like anwii said , we can not say whatever the judge made the good or the wrong choice about the rapist sentence , when we don't have all the facts !

Even if we got the facts , we have no abilitaties to judge a person , i'm not a judge , i don't know the indonisian law , do you ?

knoppixusr said

If i was a judge I'd give the death penalty and only the victim the option of letting the rapist live and instead receive only a near death lashing

Dude , i think that law was made * or created* to make it easier for people to live in peace , not to die !

If we give the death sentece to all people who did something wrong , i don't think that someone will stay alive ;) we all did something *wrong* in our lives , and those who think they did not , they will , this is not the issue , the problem we must deal with , is people making the same *wrong * another time , we must prevent people * by educating them * from doing the same crimes or bad things twice , they must learn from their mistakes , that's law , and that's what will bring peace to our sad world.

Aww my condolences to that family for the horror they must have been put through. Unfortunately, law enforcement hasn't caught up and hasn't even found the guy who shot me yet so that's not justice. I don't care though because hell, I'm still alive. However, I'm a male so I can't imagine the experience of being raped (well, if I ever did that would be a bit awkward). I'm saying the death penalty should be imminent for any crime doers despite the offense.

I'm saying the death penalty should be imminent for any crime doers despite the offense.

Think about all the false rape charges, and possible false imprisonments. Heck I'd be dead if it was up to you after a little skiff with the law for drug use. I agree with the death penalty, but under very strict conditions.

Look you are either guilty or not guilty. He either raped the girl or he did not rape her. This man was convicted of rape and he received a sentence 20 month sentence...is that Just ?

As for innocent people being convicted why should that have any bearing on the punishment of an actual guilty person?

We need to fix the real problem here but instead it looks like this. Our car has a flat tire, but instead of fixing the flat tire we want to deflate the other 3 tires so our car is more level.What kind of logic is that ? Why don't we improve the way the court convicts people instead?

Someone said everyone makes mistakes and I agree with that and this is also why I believe that justice has to be swift and immediate and in some cases it must even be a fatal in order to remain just. However the important thing is a perpetrator can move on with their life if they did not make a too big mistake. Today there are far too many Dad's and Mom's rotting away in prisons for minor things like smoking weed or stealing, where as they could have been punished and moved on with their lives already. These people could be out suporting their families but thousands will miss out on years with their families just because of minor mistakes. Prison should not be used as a form of punishment because that in itself is an terrible injustice.

Anwiii has said the victim has less of a objective perspective when it comes to deciding on this man's fate.

But i' want to ask you, Who was raped and violated ?

Who suffers the physiological and physical damage ?

Who needs to be compensated , Who does justice belong to the most ? a third party?

How does a third party know what would compensate the victim ?

Only the victim can know what punishment would be enough to satisfy the victim and only the victim should make that decision. Unless your third party can and will read minds they would only be guessing what the victim wants.

Plus for any victim it is imperative to be able to forgive their perpetrator in order to truly move on with their life (this could take years)

If the victim feels they had part in the decision of the perpetrator's punishment then they would be more likely to accept the justice served is just for them. However if you deny the victim proper justice how much more unlikely it will be for them to quickly forgive the perpetrator in order to move on with their life?

your logic doesn't make sense at all. in fact, it's contradictory. in the beginning of your post, you intimated the punishment has to fit the crime so the punishment should be different depending on the crime. then you go on to intimate that the victim should choose the punishment? although i agree with you in the first part of what you said, i disagree completely in your last point you tried to make. just because a victim knows what would satisfy them as a punishment does not and will not EVER mean a punishment is just because a punishment is not just to serve a victim. in fact, in most cases, punishments usually never serve the victim. unfortumately, in this case, if the guy was in fact guilty, nothing can ever take away the rape or the innocence of a child and this one instance just like anything else will probably affect her the rest of her life. i mean, if justice is supposed to be so strict, and we take a life because a child said that should be the punishment, might as well punish the parents for bringing a child in to such a cruel world. and where were the parents to protect her? 16? where were they? they should be responsible too. give them death too because justice should be served under an insecure and unstable childs mind? you know how ridiculous that sounds? kids hate their parents all the time. a lot of them would make up stories just to not ever see them again not knowing the real consequences until it's too late.anyway, you really did just totally contradict yourself. that's scarey because it's sorta my point in not putting other peoples lives in the hands of a victim when the logic from a bystander can't even be strong enough not to contradict.

your logic doesn't make sense at all. in fact, it's contradictory. in the beginning of your post, you intimated the punishment has to fit the crime so the punishment should be different depending on the crime. then you go on to intimate that the victim should choose the punishment?

My original idea was for the rapist to be given the death penalty by default but the rape victim has the option to stop the execution so that the rapist receives a public lashing instead.

If punishment is not there to serve the victim then why do we do it? Does justice not belong to the victim?
If you only punish people to correct their wrong behavior then that is called corrective/rehabilitative action but certainly does not mean justice for the victim in my book.

let's face it...there is very little justice that can be given to satisfy any victim. if it was up to the victim, the victim wouldn't be a victim. putting someone to death or chopping off hands or a life sentence doesn't help the victim or give the victim any sort of "justice" because the victim can't go back in time and will remain a "victim" the rest of their lives. the only good thing that may come about being a victim is learning ways to prevent being one in the future. sure, they may get a little satisfaction off the punishment given to their assailant, if someone is put to death or a public lashing, or a life sentence, or even a 20 month sentence. but that is from an emotional standpoint for revenge. not from a justice standpoint so we DO have to talk about rehabilitating someone or at least giving someone something to think about so he or shee will second guess making someone a victim in the future. but then we have to talk about what prisons and jails do to rehabilitate other than having a lot of time to "think". and the thinks that happen in prisons and jails that actually have a reverse affect on people so when they get out, they are worse off than before to rehabilitate.but again, there are not enough facts in this case to even form an opinion. we don't even know what the guy did to even have it considered "rape". so what is justice in this instance when we don't even know the facts? we hear "rape" and society is so controlled that they automatically jump to conclusions. at the same time, they DO put people to death in certain countries just for drinking and driving. is that justice? are people not allowed to make mistakes? or is it fine if people make little mistake and not big ones? is there a difference between right and wrong? so yea, in my opinion, punishment should fit the crime and punishments will never be perfect because it will always be in the eye of the beholder in how bad a crime really is.