xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

Multiple Languages Used In A Sentence To Write Or Speak What do u think about the multiple languages people use in daily life

Hey Guys,

I noticed today after I met a few different types of friends and the way I was communicating with them. We have a big garden very close to my apartment where I ask people to meet me. But today I met about 3 different people there and I also had good conversation with them individually. This is how I mixed languages while I spoke :-

Friend 1 : Marathi (primary) - hindi (secondry)

Friend 2 : English - Hindi

Friend 3 : Hindi - English

a few more examples :-

my dad - kannada - english

my friends - hindi - english

my mom - kannada - english - hindi - marathi - mix. (this is seriously possible while talking for long, no jokes)

my point is, I think this helps communication and

Now a days, while communicating on social networking websites, I happen to write in "2 languages" to communicate my feelings effectively in an understand-able manner by the friend I m writing to. Something like, "Kyaa Yaar! Howz Life?" (where "kya" "yaar" literally means "what" "friend")

I am sure, something of this sort, happens at your end as well, if not frequently then may be occasionally... with friends or relatives.

However, I see a lot of people all over the world are using two or more languages to communicate across. So how do you mix languages? Tell us your story :angel:

Too little information for your topic :angel: But my opinionis that there should be only one language! Makes communication easier, but less diversity :P

Notice from opaque:
ya my friend, still writing n editing.. :-)

i support this idea, multiple languages are useful in many ways. first, it can help you growing speaking two or three languages, which will benefit you in your futures in one way or another. for example, it could helps in your study, in your career (because it will always have been added as an extra skill you have), if you want to travel to a country its natives speak that language and much more.speaking multiple languages always show you new horizons, when you can speak a certain language you will interested in their way of living, their traditions, or their society. you will have a wider view to the world and learn much about people in different cultures.another benefit, is self satisfactions. especially for those who love learning languages, like me. i am of those people who always love to learn a new language.most of all, multiple language make you understand tv series and movies without translation :angel:

The foreign students at my school always switch between French and English. I think it is helpful for not only their communication, but those surrounding as well. It exposes people to realistic examples of other languages as well as different dialects. It's cool, and you can end up learning a bit. But I only support it to a point. Such as in America, where the national language has practically turned into Spanglish because of illegal immigrants and our, I guess, need to incorporate them into society. I don't like the change, but it is pretty much necessary.

This happens all the time in my college as well. People mix up all the languages they know, either unknowingly or just in an attempt to show-off that they those languages well! :angel: Here mostly people mix up Telugu, Hindi and English while speaking and while chatting and on social networks as well. This is a common thing and I don't think its harmful as long as we remember to use the languages one at a time when needed. If it becomes a habit to mix all the languages at all times then it may lead to funny situations and problems sometime or the other. So as long as it's under control, I think this is fine.

My friends opinion,

i agree..with the whole idea of multi-lingual communication people, mostly youngsters like us tend to make use of today, which i think to a certain extent facilitates seamless communication..but i think it is very restricted to only our age and a little above and moreover a very casual set up.. i also think that using hindi, marathi etc words periodically between an english conversation sort of makes it more easy going..but again..very casual...
I think..its important that one learns a certain language fully well..enough to communicate without any sort of interruptions..its necessary...Ofcourse this is my opinion... you may beg to differ...i think a fine balance is the key..knowlege of the main language.

I know what you mean about people using multiple languages in the same conversation. My family does it all the time going back and forth between german and english. (German is their native language). The only problem is, they never taught us kids any german, so when they are talking, we miss half of what is going on lol... But then they tend to notice and switch back over into english for a while again until they forget ;)But I can see how speaking in both languages can benefit conversation though, because each language has certain words or meanings that can't quite get the same point across when translated into english or whatever language. But it really helps for both parties to understand both languages before you start using both haha