xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deadmad7

Internet Explorer 6 Funeral Held, Microsoft Sends Flowers The Official IE6 Support Is Killed

IE6's death  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Internet users from all around gathered today to finally lay Internet Explorer 6 to rest, in its very own funeral. IE6 (support) was officially killed on March 1, 2010, almost 8.5 years after its initial release. IE6 supporters attended the funeral, even with a special gift from the Internet Explorer team themselves, flowers.

Many websites have already begun shutting down support for IE6, including Google, which says it will no longer support the browser on both Gmail and YouTube, but users can still enjoy streaming content.

Internet Explorer 6 still has roughly 20% market share among businesses and consumers, who still use Windows XP, one of the most popular operating systems to date. The birth of Internet Explorer 6 originated from Windows XP, which a lot of businesses still use, after skipping the Windows Vista upgrade.

Posted Image

Microsoft also sent a card along with the flowers to the funeral of IE6, that said Thanks for the good times IE6, see you all @ MIX when we show a little piece of IE Heaven.

Expect a major announcement regarding Internet Explorer 9 at MIX10.

Lol, like finally. We can all get rid of IE6. No more adding support for it too :angel: Its like heaven for web designers. But I wasn't always like this. I used to use Internet Explorer 6 3 or 4 years ago. It was the best thing back then too. Only now, Firefox Opera and Chrome have stolen the show. I wonder have it has gotten like this, how do Internet Explorer, which contained the most of the market in the internet browsers, suddenly just drop? Is it because it has no themes? no modules? no developers? no plugins? always lags? I think this adds up to the killing of ie6. Even now, they (microsoft) haven't made any move to take over the market again. IE still has about 60% of the market, mostly because it comes with the Operating Systems like XP and Vista, and now Windows 7. Why haven't they added themes,plugins or any other stuff that chrome and firefox have? I mean, they have all the programs, people (they have very,very brilliant people, probably brighter than Google Employees). What are they waiting for? I think they should get on the wave before they become too outdated. I hope they will announce something like this at the MIX10.

What do you think about this? or just say goodbye to IE6 below :P

no themes? no modules? no developers? no plugins? always lags?

+ it's really crappy, crashes and takes your OS with it and it's hated by every web designer and developer on earth. Burn baby burn! I never supported IE6, and I never will.So everyone, join the ie6nomore campaign! It's on the net, google it!

Let it burn in hell! With Windows Vista! :angel:

There there, you guys are forgetting the fact that it was used by billion of people who had no idea about using any other browser. like some people have no clue about firefox and chrome as of yet. it takes time to get them all this. so IE6 is fail in 2010 but when it was released it was performing fine(with all the crashes and spyware adons etc). good to see microsoft dumping it down for good.

Internet Explorer 6 was one of the worst browsers still being used. It was slow, ugly, rendered things poorly, and had no customization whatsoever. I won't miss it, and I can't see why anyone else would. Good riddance. Maybe this'll give those people who are still in the dark ages with their internet browsers a chance to look into a browser that's actually good, such as Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome.

I loved it , and gonna miss it. [ 2 ] ** [40.00%]

Who the hell voted that one? are people out of their minds? UNBELIEVABLE

I'm eagerly waiting for the day when we have a funeral for IE itself and not just a version of it. I remember the first and last thing I did with IE6 was to download another browser and then deleted it for good! That's how much I loathe IE not just 6 but every version right from the beginning. I still don't know why people are lazy not to download another browser when they have the chance to. Their safety isn't as importance as their daily nap I think :angel: If only they woke up once and switched to another browser ASAP then the day when we have a funeral for IE itself wont be very far away.

YOu guys cant blame IE6 for no addons, plugins, themes, lag. At that time no browser had add-ons, so there are always upgrades, which microsoft did with IE7 and IE8Next thing i know youll be telling me WIndows 98 was a piece of crap, no themes, bad layout etc.... well DUH times change,its not like microsoft still supports IE6, they've changed, so yes, goodbye IE6Also Opera is teh best xD

My Vote: Let it burn in hell! Because of all the bad memories I have with this application... I couldn't visit two sites a day without getting an error or when it worked it all of a sudden just stopped working.And as a hobby I design web pages and I know it's impossible to have support for IE6 without destroying your design :".So, IE6 goodbye for ever, please don't make any trouble in Application Heaven or Program Hell or wherever you're going.

My Vote: Let it burn in hell! Because of all the bad memories I have with this application... I couldn't visit two sites a day without getting an error or when it worked it all of a sudden just stopped working.
And as a hobby I design web pages and I know it's impossible to have support for IE6 without destroying your design :".
So, IE6 goodbye for ever, please don't make any trouble in Application Heaven or Program Hell or wherever you're going.

I also have many bad memories with this APP too! But i didn't get that much of errors, maybe you have registry problems or you have malware/virus trojan problem. Try CCleaner and Avast Home Edition to try and clear those up.

You should get some plugins for designing with IE6, but the trouble isn't over yet, YOU STILL HAVE TO DESIGN FOR IE6 :P Just because support is discontinued doesn't mean that people will stop using it. Many people are still using it without the knowledge of better browsers like firefox and you are still doing long hours to design for IE6. I say that YOU discontinue support for IE6. Add a code to say,'This site is not Internet Explorer 6 compatible :P

So don't count on it yet, but soon.... ;)

I also have many bad memories with this APP too! But i didn't get that much of errors, maybe you have registry problems or you have malware/virus trojan problem. Try CCleaner and Avast Home Edition to try and clear those up.
You should get some plugins for designing with IE6, but the trouble isn't over yet, YOU STILL HAVE TO DESIGN FOR IE6 :P Just because support is discontinued doesn't mean that people will stop using it. Many people are still using it without the knowledge of better browsers like firefox and you are still doing long hours to design for IE6. I say that YOU discontinue support for IE6. Add a code to say,'This site is not Internet Explorer 6 compatible :D

So don't count on it yet, but soon.... ;)

Ah thank you for the info of CCleaner and Avast I use them for a year now.

Yeah I know that the solution of this is not so simple here at my neighborhood I know that some friends of me use still IE6, I said to them to change this to upgrade to e better browser liek firefox or opera, but they just don't want too they are too lazy and they say " who cares it can open web pages I don't need more" ( yeah some of them :P). Anyway maybe in the future hoping the in the near future this might change.

Internet Explorer not only can't parse CSS and has Javascript processing speed 200 times slower than Firefox and 250 times slower than safari (I ran the numbers), but it also had so many exploits (which is where most people get viruses these days). To me, Internet Explorer died long ago. I don't even bother to write code for IE6 anymore. It can rot in hell for all I care.

i want to say the same as you said about internet explorer 6 and the hell thing, but i will be more nice and say, go to heaven, and stay in peace internet explorer 6. as long as you will stay far away from us. god, internet explorer 6 is a pain for every web designer, every simple change in layout looks well in all browsers except internet explorer 6. i wonder why? can't microsoft do something to make it reasonable like other browsers, any way, thank you microsoft to finally makes our life easier.

i want to say the same as you said about internet explorer 6 and the hell thing, but i will be more nice and say, go to heaven, and stay in peace internet explorer 6. as long as you will stay far away from us.

god, internet explorer 6 is a pain for every web designer, every simple change in layout looks well in all browsers except internet explorer 6. i wonder why? can't microsoft do something to make it reasonable like other browsers, any way, thank you microsoft to finally makes our life easier.

Yeah, Maybe i should have added the heaven thing. Cause I used to like Internet Explorer 6 too! ;) Too bad you can't edit posts here.

As, I stated to abazi16 early, if you are using a CMS (Mambo, Wordpress , Joomla ,etc. ) there are many great themes and plugins that can help you a great deal for designing web sites for yourself and those of your customers (if you have any).

Well, think of it, Internet Explorer 6 was released back in August 27, 2001 and in those days it was the BEST! There was no Firefox trouble, in fact i don't really think that firefox existed back in 2001. It was also included as the main browser in the Windows XP OS (which is undoubtedly the most used OS of all time) and many people (like abazi's friends) didn't care about which browser they were using as ALL the browsers were pretty much the same plain old thing. All they did was view pages and pages and pages. :P 'NORMAL 2001 People ' didn't really want a cluttered looking browser with plugins and stuff, they wanted it to work great right out of the box, which IE6 definitely did. So, you can't really blame Microsoft for this, as they did what they could do to make the best browser at the time.

This version of Internet Explorer is widely derided for its security issues and lack of support for modern web standards, making frequent appearances in "worst tech products of all time" lists, with some publications labeling it as the "least secure software on the planet."[2] Campaigns have been established to encourage users to upgrade to newer versions of Internet Explorer or switch to different browsers, and some websites have dropped support for IE6 entirely, most notable of which is Google's drop of support.

It was the most widely used web browser during its tenure (surpassing Internet Explorer 5.x), attaining a peak in usage share during 2002 and 2003 in the high 80s, and together with other versions up to 95%. It only slowly declined up to 2007, when it lost about half its market share to Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox between late 2006 to 2008.

IE6 remained more popular than its successor in business use for more than a year after IE7 came out.[18] A DailyTech article noted, "A Survey found 55.2% of companies still use IE 6 as of December 2007", while "IE 7 only has a 23.4 percent adoption rate".[18]

Net Applications estimated IE6 market share at almost 39% for September, 2008.[19] According to the same source, IE7 users migrate faster to IE8 than users of its predecessor IE6 does. This led to IE6 once again becoming the most widely used browser version. During the summer and fall of 2009, 8 years after its introduction, IE6 still held the top spot in terms of browser marketshare.[20]

As of February 2010, estimates of IE6's global market share ranged from 10-20%.[21][22][23] Nonetheless, IE6 continues to maintain a plurality or even majority presence in the browser market of certain countries, notably China[24] and South Korea.[25][26]

As of January 29, 2010, Google announced it will begin phasing out support for Internet Explorer 6 web browser. Beginning March 1, 2010, Google's Web based applications and services will stop working well with Internet Explorer 6.[27][28] YouTube announced that it will no longer support IE6 beginning on March 13, 2010.[29]

Yeah, Maybe i should have added the heaven thing. Cause I used to like Internet Explorer 6 too! ;) Too bad you can't edit posts here.

As, I stated to abazi16 early, if you are using a CMS (Mambo, Wordpress , Joomla ,etc. ) there are many great themes and plugins that can help you a great deal for designing web sites for yourself and those of your customers (if you have any).

Well, think of it, Internet Explorer 6 was released back in August 27, 2001 and in those days it was the BEST! There was no Firefox trouble, in fact i don't really think that firefox existed back in 2001. It was also included as the main browser in the Windows XP OS (which is undoubtedly the most used OS of all time) and many people (like abazi's friends) didn't care about which browser they were using as ALL the browsers were pretty much the same plain old thing. All they did was view pages and pages and pages. :P 'NORMAL 2001 People ' didn't really want a cluttered looking browser with plugins and stuff, they wanted it to work great right out of the box, which IE6 definitely did. So, you can't really blame Microsoft for this, as they did what they could do to make the best browser at the time.

Firefox, chrome, and some other browsers were actually Netscape, which dominated IE before 2002. It is true, however, that in 2001-2002 it reached its high point in browser wars because Microsoft packaged IE with Windows, and got sued for it. If you wikipedia "browser wars", you'll find a nice spread of browser domination. Slowly but surely, IE is going down the tubes. By 2015, I think IE will be obsolete unless it makes some kind of amazing re-do or comeback.