xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

Customer Service Situation #1 How would you handle it?

Assume you have been hired at a hotel and are working front desk, having to check people in and out of the hotel. Also assume you are working at night time. Your boss comes in and informs you that the hotel is entirely booked for the day (night) and cannot offer any more rooms for any new guests wishing to stay the night and therefore have to be relocated to another hotel under the same company. Upon returning to your post, a minute later a guest comes in and orders a room. The guest has not had a good day and is slightly tired, therefore increasing the chances of him becoming more upset. Since all the rooms are booked, you have to inform the guest of their relocation. How would you handle this situation?

I used to work at the front desk of a hotel in the night shift, and that situation happened a lot, specially in high season, what we used to do is put a sign in the door saying that we didn't have any more rooms available and normally those were calm nights. If a costumer like you said came in anyways there are no more rooms, what could I do, even if the person had an awful day I cannot create an extra room, the best thing I could do was called another affiliated hotels to see if they had any availability for the night.I also remembered my manager always told me that you didn't have to pay attention to rude customer, that if you see someone raising your voice to you or being disrespectful to you, all you needed to say was "I'm sorry but I cannot help you until you calm down", and they should calm down, if they didn't you don't needed to do anything for them, you aren't there to receive complaints from rude costumers.

Dear friend of mine when it comes to hospitality business you should be very polite and good natured to customers and due to which in such a condition as you know that the customer is upset already you should deal with the condition presuming yourself at the customers place and then this if you were in such a condition what will you do. And first of all make feel him like home and give a friendly atmosphere and offer some drinkables or snacks for him and try to reduce his previous upset ness and then try to deal with him in a professional and very friendly manner so that he should not be angry to get such a condition in front of him.

the very first thing i would do is offer any discounts or or incentives to help ease the transition of relocating. if the customer didn't book his/her full stay in advance, then it really isn't the companies problem but it really doesn't help the situation if you tell the customer that. if i was a guest, i wouldn't like it one bit, but i gaurantee you, i would go with the flow if they offered me half off 1 or two nights or maybe 1 night free. the only thing they would maybe have to pay for is taxes or the cleaning service or something. something like this would turn my frown upside down. some people though you can never please. it's always good to symapthize and make sure they understand that YOU understand their disappointment rather than shrug them off to a new location rudely.

wow you picked up very hard situation, in this situation i should completely know the hotel policy in these situations. as i have seen in my place there is three policies for hotels that have other branches. the first one is free taxi for other branch which you know has some free rooms and you should reserve one for this guest. so i will say him all of our rooms are booked but we can take you to our other branch completely free. there is no discount or anything all you have is a free taxi so you need to work more with him and trying to not getting him nervous. the second policy is free taxi and special discounts or special offers, in this situation your work is very easy because most of peoples will accept it so you don't need to worry. but the worse policy is when you have nothing to offer, in this situation i have seen very long arguments so preventing from these arguments is not easy at all. you should always start your sentences with we apologize or we are so sorry to calm down your guest. saying something like this is our companies policy or it is not my problem will always cause serious problems when your guest is not very happy. after calming him down you can say about other branch and saying that i can reserve a room till you get there. but anyway if you are working for a company with third policy its better for you to learn how to run fast in some situations :D .

I have seen similar situation with restaurant and my friend managed to redirect users to their another restaurant which was across the lane. In case of hotel you can do the same and ask the guest to move to another hotel within same company by taking cab. You can also send tea and breakfast free of cost which hardly matters for four or five star hotel these days. Again this will work only if the client is not pissed off to the max, else expect the worse.

When you are dealing with the public there really isn't much you can do except be polite and explain to them that the last room had just been rented out and no more are available. Anyway, if the customer has a tantrum there isn't much you can do about it. I had a friend who worked in a convience store, customer came in and started ranting and raving at her, called her every name in the book, (his problem had nothing to do with anything she had done) but after all he did and said, she got fired because she didn't say a word back to him, but just flipped him off. The old adage "the customer is always right" can be a real pain sometimes. There are some people out there that are real jerks. But it's what you have to put up with when you work out in public like that. I know that I no longer have the dispostion to deal with that kind of human garbage. I'm afraid I could never keep my mouth shut and probably would be back to being unemployed real quick. And by the way, don't most motels have No Vacancy signs that light up when the motel is full to keep people from stopping in the first place? And I really don't think a cab ride to another motel would be of much help, unless they came in a cab in the first place. If you drove in all your stuff would be in your car and you wouldn't want to leave your car where you weren't going to be staying.