xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spudd

"derp, Download? What Is Download? Why Can't I Just Play On The Website?"

I'm a game developer, and I have been for a long time. All of my games thus far have been free, and available for download on the internet. I have never used ads on any of my sites, and pay for all development tools, servers, etc. out of pocket. While I get nothing but enjoyment out of it, the one who's really getting the deal is the player, right? So why do I get comments like this on my games?

Quoted from a youtube comment:

f***ing g**! why would you have to download something so low quality!

It drives me nuts how so many internet users want to play games but refuse to touch anything with a download button. My game is an MMO, these are very hard to make in flash, and can be quite inefficient. My game is also about 25 MB, which is small for an MMO, but way too large to be embedding in a website. Another thing: When you play a flash or java game, you're still downloading it, your browser is merely saving it as a temporary file somewhere on your hard drive. Another thing I see is people constantly asking "is it a virus?" There are simple ways to see for yourself that it's safe. First of all, look at the site, see all the forum posts? Virus infected programs do not have active forums. Anyway, there's my rant. Has anyone here had a similar experience?