xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Problems With Emedding .flv File Film will not play once uploaded

Hi,

I have a problem with embedding a .flv file into my web page.

I converted a .wmv file to a .flv via the program Free FLV Converter.

This program not only converts files for you, but it also generates the HTML code to embed the converted file into a web page.

The code I got from it was as follows:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="342" height="291" id="FLVPlayer">  <param name="movie" value="FLVPlayer.swf" />  <param name="salign" value="lt" />  <param name="quality" value="high" />  <param name="scale" value="noscale" />  <param name="FlashVars" value="&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Skin&streamName=onzedancingsbinnen10jaar&autoPlay=false&autoRewind=false" />  
</object>
The problem is, when I enter this code into my HTML Editor (Coffeecup HTML Editor) and I preview the page, the film starts playing with no problem at all.

However, when I upload the page and the film, and I keep them in the same folder (by the way 'onzedancingsbinnen10jaar.flv' is the name of the file, all I get is a blank square showing where the film should play, and in the status bar of my browser it says: 'Waiting for http:??;, and the green progress bar hardly moves or doesn't move at all.

I also tried to convert the film to an .swf file instead of .flv, and with code I found on the net, I embedded that, the film plays, but there are no player controls present (Play, Stop, Pause), and it is essential that the film does not autostart, so I need the controls.

Does anyone have any idea where the code has gone wrong? WHy does the film stream from my hard drive, but does it not play after it has been uploaded?

Or, does anyone have the HTML code for embedding an .swf file, but with the use of player controls?

I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

which player are you using ?

I've already use flowplayer which works great, looks nice, opensource and the syntax is easy

<html><head>	<script src="/media/flowplayer-3.1.4.min.js"></script></head><body><div style="width: 450px; height: 300px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;margin-top:30px;">	<a  		href="/file/myvideo.flv"  		style="display:block;width:100%;height:100%;"  		id="player"> 	</a>	<script language="JavaScript"> 		flowplayer("player", "/media/flowplayer-3.1.5.swf", {		clip:  { 			autoPlay: false, 			autoBuffering: true 		  } 		});	</script>	</div></body></html>

you can maybe give it a try

Yes, that seems to have done the trick.I need to do some further testing, but at first glance it seems to work ok.Funny enough, I have the opposite problem now: when I upload everything it plays great, but on my hard drive it won't work, although I have put the required flowplayer files into the right folder.However, that's the least of my worries at the moment, as it is the final result on the net that counts.By the way, to answer your question, I just used to used the normal Macromedia Flash Player, I thought that was all you could use as it seems to be the standard with all browssers.Do you think that could have been causing the problem?Anyway, I will run some further tests and see how things go, if I get any other unexpected problems I will be in touch.But thank you so much for the tip anyway.

Well, what I mean is, I use Coffeecup HTML Editor to make my webpages, and obviously all the files belonging to my own website are saved and kept in the same folder.

When you pointed out the link to flowplayer, I saw that you have to save the flowplayer.swf and the flowplayer.controls.swf and flowplayer-3.1.4.min.js to the same folder as the page you want to display the flash file on.

I have done exactly that, but when i embed a film into a page (with the code you gave me, which is also the code that works when I put a film online) and I preview the page (ie. while it is not uploaded yet), the film does not show.

But now, it looks like I spoke too soon.

When I do a preview in my editor, all I get is a black square where the film should be, but when I preview the (locally stored) page in my browser, then it plays (never used to before).

I must add, though, that I added the complete URL in the embed code, which, in this case is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, so, not just onzedancinggsbinnen10jaar.flv.

OK, everything good as gold now, don't know why it did not work offline before, but it does now, but I am not complaining.

One other thing, however, I have posted on the flowplayer forum about this, and the explanations on their website are not very clear, so: is it possible to give the player a different look (I think it is, but don't know how),eg. by using a different skin for the player?

Also, how is that achieved, like I said, the flowplayer website is not clear about this.

Anyway, thank you so much for pointing out that wonderful, and especially working, player to me.

hmmm... this may seem like an obvious question but did you upload a "FLVPlayer.swf" file to your parent folder? if the converter game you an HTML code it probably produced a file called "FLVPlayer.swf" if you did not upload that file then it won't play :angel:

hmmm... this may seem like an obvious question but did you upload a "FLVPlayer.swf" file to your parent folder? if the converter game you an HTML code it probably produced a file called "FLVPlayer.swf" if you did not upload that file then it won't play ;)

I know, sometimes you have to check the obvious first.
But yes, I did upload all the necessary files.

I have used Moyea Web Player to generate Flash video player for my website. It is easy to use. You can check it and the tutorial - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yes, that is a very cool program too.

However, the things they both (Flowplayer and Moyea) have in common are that it is quite difficult to put two separate films on the same website (in a different player window, that is), and that the help files and tutorials are not very clear (some parts of it might as well have been written in Chinese).

I think you've not uploaded .swf file needed to play the flv. Also , make sure the flv is in the same path as the swf looks for. i.e. when using a relative path then starting from www as root to the folder it looks in
I can't see the coding for the player here so don't know whats wrong.

Kindly post the ActionScript for the player so we can tell whats wrong :)