xisto Community
kleong

How To Enable Hardware Virtualization

I am trying to run a virtual os on my laptop. When I got into the bios, I cannot find the option for it to turn it on.I have tried running Securable and the result is that the Hardware Virtualization is locked off.I am on Intel Core 2 and Phoneix Bios v1.3508.Does anyone know how could I enable it? Or how can I change the bios in Window XP if it is possible.Thanks in advance.

I have checked and mine is supported. I have tried searching for the option to turn it on in the bios. Problem is, I am unable to find it. I have written to Acer for advice and how I wished I did not do so. Their reply is simply useless.

I cant see it on the bios setup as per the screencap.I have gone through the link you send me, there seem to be some information that is of use to me. I will have to read them again.Thanks martvefun.p/s. I will repost again should I come up against the wall.

you can't its either your processor supports or not....

if you have an intel processor virtualization is shortened as VT.. i believe its the same with amd processors ... go look yours up... generally though o/s that run in a virtual environment should still be fast.. you just can't do advance things...

i know this cause i use xp.. and i run virtualbox to host windows vista... and my processor doesn't have vt..

Typically, the BIOS is where you would find the setting to turn on hardware virtualization. However, some laptops, such as the Sony Vaio laptops, have hardware virtualization disabled and so you cannot enable them. You might want to try using some other form of virtualization on your laptop. You could also find a cheap second-hand pre-owned server at a really low price to use for virtualization. BTW, many computer manufacturers use Phoenix BIOSes but they can modify the BIOS by enabling or disabling options when they have it put up in your computer.

you can't its either your processor supports or not....
if you have an intel processor virtualization is shortened as VT.. i believe its the same with amd processors ... go look yours up... generally though o/s that run in a virtual environment should still be fast.. you just can't do advance things...

i know this cause i use xp.. and i run virtualbox to host .. vista... and my processor doesn't have vt..

Pretty much what he said. I don't see the point of hardware virtualization anyways, being that it doesn't really help with graphical applications. As an example, games still run horribly. I've only been able to use virtual OS's for non-graphical things, with or without it.