xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyabc

Student Looking For Trouble (samleeuwenburg's Alterego) Keep it simple student

Samleeuwenburg's recent "Student Looking for Guidance" idea of a PHP (MMO)RPG sounds great, but a lot of work with logistics. I on the other hand want to take on a project that involves a lot of work with databases. Instead of a game, I would like to create a Facebook/MySpace like community site...for educational fun nothing else. Obviously I've been trying to determine the best forum software out there to use, but I still really don't care for the ones out there...besides, even though everyone can use a forum, there are a lot more people who probably use social sites.I'm not planning on anything really fancy...nothing with a lot of drag-and-drop features, or apps just yet. It'll start off with a simple environment and I'll see where it heads from there...I actually would like to make a free social site package when I'm done, similar to what free forum packages are like, so that people like you can have it...I'm sure they're out there too, but for whatever the reason, they aren't as popular as forum software.The last stipulation is that I make it in a modular design, so that you can customize certain files to your heart's content, and (rarely) never have to worry that an update would reset any of the conditions you've made...at least that's the goal. We'll see when it's all said and done...in another 10 years when the internet will be no longer (I'm waiting for someone to say, "Oh, and where did you hear that? :angel: " Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by Jonnyabc may not necessarily conform to the rest of the world.)Comments, concerns, questions? Want a free job? You never know what great things may come of it :P .

Well, I advice you by first starting to download some of the freebie social network scripts from the web, read their documentation and try to mimick it.Now, get familiar with ajax and download the jQuery library (or use Google's one). Having all this done, make as many scripts as you can and experiment with ideas. Then make the final one based on all the freebie scripts you've studied.Sounds like a lot of work, but hey, you asked for it...AND WHY INTERNET WILL BE NO LONGER IN 10 YEARS?!?! :D :angel: :P:(:P:o:D

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

You should probably get some free software scripts and download Wamp 2.0 and set it up on your computer. After that, edit and tweak till it doesn't even look like the script anymore, and then you can add your own features in it or hire people to create them (or you can get them online for cost as modules)! This is only if you want a simple site though, if you want a good Facebook type site with more than 100000+ unique vistors, you should probably buy a script called SocialEngine, its highly customizable and supports features like video sharing, friends, facebook like walls and photo album sharing! You can test drive their demo on their site! It might be a little expensive, but not compared to what you can make with the ad money. :angel:

I'm going to go against EVERYONE here.

Jumping into an existing Social Networking script is going to be extremely overwhelming, and confuse the *BLEEP* out of you.

What's your current PHP background? Beginner? I find the BEST starting script is a simple blog/news updating script. Once you've got that, add a user system to it, where multiple users can post.

Once you've got the extreme basics of a user-based content delivery system, I'd suggest starting to read into OOP (object-oriented programming) and design pattern theories. A gerat intro article by a friend of mine can be found here - http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/design-p---introduction

More can be found in this link
http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/page2

It's a long path, but there's so much to consider - especially when you're allowing anyone that connects to your site to manipulate your database

Samleeuwenburg's recent "Student Looking for Guidance" idea of a PHP (MMO)RPG sounds great, but a lot of work with logistics. I on the other hand want to take on a project that involves a lot of work with databases. Instead of a game, I would like to create a Facebook/MySpace like community site...

I object you make such use of my name like that. no but seriously, I don't see how a profile site like facebook/myspace is any easier then something like maffiawars ( unless you take myspace as an example, Toms got some work to do eh? ) well if you start out small and indeed not too fancy it might just make something great. the twitter concept is also easier then pie right? you just have to think of something like that I geuss thats the hardest part..

anyways alter ego give me a link once you made something so I can sneak a peek!