xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wonderfullygifted

Website Design?

I need to get a nice website template, like I don't have a website yet, but I want to be ready for what my website is going to be. I am also wondering if like, maybe I need more than html, maybe java? I've seen some really nice templates out there, and I am not knowledgeable enough to make my own website, but I would like to make my own logos, and stuff. So how do you guys do it? I really wish I knew how to do all this stuff, but I am just really below this html and designing stuff. I hope one of you guys can help me, because I've been always into this html, and learning about computers and everything, I mean I really want to come up with my own designs to make my website unique and promoting people to come into it, and be welcomed into it and what not.

If you're a starting web designer, try to take things in a stride. Don't immediately expect nor attempt to make websites that are tad too technical. Even if you already have a web template in hand, if you don't have a sound understanding of (x)html and css expect to have difficulty editing that template. My advice is to familiarize yourself with the foundations of web building (html and css). Don't fret if you have difficulty at the beginning. We all have to start somewhere. For basic designs you'll get by with html and css alone. Then from there you will soon know what other stuff you need to learn without having to ask somebody because sooner or later, you'll realize that there are things that css alone can't accomplish. It wouldn't hurt to learn javascript or jquery maybe, or a couple of web programming languages (php, etc,) if you want to create dynamic content, or perhaps learn cms (joomla or drupal). As for me, before I start to make a site, I try to brainstorm for ideas first. That way I have a general idea on the site design and content. I usually have pen and paper in hand for the preliminary design. Once I'm through that, I create the images (banners, logos and what nots) through photoshop. Then I code the semantics with dreamweaver then eventually finish the overall site design with css.

making a website is not easy nor is't difficult you have to use the best approach.Firstly, you have two choices...to learn how to do, the make-up of a site, study code first or to just get your hands dirty straight away.if you chose the first option then i'l advise you learn HTML, CSS and XHTML. That should get you prepared for some of the more popular web programming languages like PHP and MySQL. If need a good book on HTML, CSS and XHTML, google HEAD FIRST HTML,CSS and XHMTL. It's what i started off with and its pretty solid and will equip with the necessary know-how.If you want to get your hands dirty and learn along the way, which is not bad in itself, then look for Content Management Systems (CMS) that will do the job in a short time like Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, etc. The advantage with these is that you get a full community behind you with most of the stuff you may need already available for use, most of it being offered for free, you just have to download then plug and play!You get even good premade themes and your site will be up and running in no time. the learning with this approach comes when you work on customizing your site. Don't be afraid to temper with a few settings and to look over the code and see what is taking place, the functions available etc.Personally, I'd advise you to mix the two strategies. Read on web design, programming languages whilst building the site with a good CMS. That way, you learn quicker and see your progress before your own eyes which will be very pleasing too. :)Good luck!

When I started my web site, I knew right off I did not want to use a template. I didn't want a cookie cutter web site, I wanted one that was as unique and would stand out from the crowd. And there really were no templates that fit what I wanted to do. So, I just bit the bullet and did my own. I used Front Page, and I will tell you that without a doubt, it was the most complicated program I have ever seen. Even with Video Proffesors CD and Front Page for Dummies, it was still a major pain. It was no easy feat, and it took forever, and it took an excessive amount of swear words. Honestly, I'm still not really good with it. I have a problem getting things where I want them, and getting good balance on the page. But really, bad as I hated doing it, it really is the best way to go.

When I started my web site, I knew right off I did not want to use a template. I didn't want a cookie cutter web site, I wanted one that was as unique and would stand out from the crowd. And there really were no templates that fit what I wanted to do. So, I just bit the bullet and did my own. I used Front Page, and I will tell you that without a doubt, it was the most complicated program I have ever seen. Even with Video Proffesors CD and Front Page for Dummies, it was still a major pain. It was no easy feat, and it took forever, and it took an excessive amount of swear words. Honestly, I'm still not really good with it. I have a problem getting things where I want them, and getting good balance on the page. But really, bad as I hated doing it, it really is the best way to go.

Well, instead of using front page, why didn't you code your template yourself? From what I see in your post, front page has been a pain in the *insert the correct word here*, so why not coding yourself? Makes it a lot easier to understand when you know the structure of the code yourself, can adjust things with pixel-accuracy and all you have to use is some logical-seeming rules in CSS and HTML.

As for tips for the original poster, others have already said everything that needs to be said. I have only one thing to add: don't use WYSIWYG editors like dreamweaver etc.
Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)