xisto Community
Nelson Blogs

.htaccess Permissions

I was creating my .htaccess for my wordpress blog. ?From one source, I was told to make the file permissions 777. ?I did some extra research and found some article that said that 777 file permissions were very dangerous and can make your site vulnerable to hacker attacks. ?I was wondering I should leave my .htaccess at 777 or change the permissions to some other value.Thanks for your time!

What's the reason for having it 0777? The last time i installed WordPress i didn't have to chmod any .htaccess files. Since you are the one creating and editing the files and not WordPress, there's no need to have it at 0777. 0777 is for accessing and modifying a file from a remote source.

i think you should change it quickly. i don't know a lot about .htaccess file but i know permission 777 is very dangerous because it means read write and execute. so now you letting anyone to read write and execute in your website. as i know if you want to add a certain code you should chage permissions to 777, add the code , test the changings and reset your permissions again, see this link
https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Well I haven't personally tried WordPress. But with Drupal and Joomla you only had to have a few files 777 for a little bit with installing it or whatever. If you have to 777 do it when you need to and then change it back. And yes keeping it to 777 is a security risk.

i suggest you go to the wordpress site to find out about the permissions. yea, changing permissions could very well be a security risk but you will need to probably change a couple folders to those permissions if you want to edit some of your files within your admin area. you'd also probably have to tweek your .htaccess file although changing permissions and/or or htaccess file is not really necessary. but yea, i would suggest going to the wordpress site where this topic is talked about(i am pretty sure i saw a topic floating around somewhere over there a while back). i think you'll get a lot better advice there. the advice given here is pretty vague. if you do go researching elsewhere and find any usefull information, you might want to quote it in this thread for future reference.

Thank you guys for confirming the 777 situation. I was wondering which file permission I should change this to. I am not very good with messing around with them so I need help.