xisto Community
whitecollarnomad

Dell Inspiron Or Toshiba Satellite

i think it's a matter of personal preference. the link to the dell seems pretty reasonable. even though dell makes good computer, i abolutely hate them for their customer support alone. i bought one and will never go through that again. BUT, the laptop seems pretty reasonably priced. i bought a toshiba satallite l305-s5968 and have never looked back. bought it for $500 from walmart. it has pretty much the same specs as your dell you listed except a bigger hd and 1gig less ram. mine is also 2.0mhz rather than 2.1 mhz and screen size is 15.4, not 15.6 with built in mic and webcam.

i have been pleasently surprised with toshiba. i was very hesitant like you were right now but decided to go with toshiba from reviews like

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ i think toshiba has raised their prices recently so it may be hard to find a comparable price with comparable specs.

a thread that asked the same question you're asking now. anyway, good luck with your new purchase!

help me choose please pros and cons? Need a new reliable computer in the $500 range

Dell vs Toshiba Satellite

I'm not fan of dell products but some products like alienware and inspiron made me think sometimes. But if you want to get it for something at 500$ then go for toshiba satellite. Dell is bit costly if you opt for better config else toshiba offers much good desktop at lower price.So far my observation about toshiba company and their customer reviews are positive. So you can search a bit more for that price if you don't get any thing then go with Toshiba satellite.

I'd certainly recommend Toshiba over Dell any day. Dell are fairly infamous for their useless technical support and ridiculously bureaucratic processes for even the simplest of tasks. While you may think the possibility of needing support is low, you'll certainly regret it if you do ever need to speak to them. A few of my friends have Toshiba laptops and they seem to be pretty good. I've also got other Toshiba products (my TV and DVD player for example). I've always found them to be excellent, and the build quality is good. I've only had to deal with their support once, but they were incredibly helpful.

I have a toshiba satellite L455-S5975 and it is great. It has a 15.6 inch hd screen, windows 7, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 250GB HD, and it has an intel celeron 900 proccessor. It cost less than 500 dollars and it is bigger and better than the dell inspiron I had. I reccommend a toshiba computer to anyone who wants a modern strong laptop.

-reply by jewel