xisto Community
shadowx

Adverts, Admins: Dont Go There.

So i log on this morning and see some irritating, out of place, out of theme sidebar javascript widget with CHAT written in it and some horrible PINK block and "Bob dylan tickets"Now, i am 99.9% sure this is not adware on my PC. So.... I do not want to buy bob dylan tickets, i have no interest in him, live concerts or tickets of any kind. Nor have i any history relating to tickets, so if you are going to do averts at least look at what they are advertising for christs sake! Next, i dont want a frikking side bar there that looks so damn ugly. Not to mention the fact that it is laggy and disrupts the view of the page its just frikking ugly, i mean seriously, have you guys even looked at the ads that you allow on your site? Think about it.Needless to say that is not blocked along with answers.com which was the most irritating advert system in the world. I would strongly suggest scrapping it. Oh and then the twitter etc... buttons, yup they got blocked too because they are irritating. If i had a twitter account i would tweet about T17 in my own good time!!! Did you guys even look at this side bar? It appears not.If any T17 members want a little tutorial on blocking these intrusions then say so in this thread anad if demand is enough ill post a tutorial.Just dont go there T17...

Just logged in and i'm seeing the annoying chat box. It is flash based and is taking load of time. Also the ads are sponsored by that chat button, whatever the company is. So the ads are probably there to support the service of that chat box and server. I guess opaque added that as we had problem with the shoutbox so in meantime they want this chatbox.Not a problem but as it is flash based and takes lot of time to load i prefer not to use it. Noscript addon on firefox may able to block it. yet to try that though,will let you know if it can block that peace of button. But if i have to vote for this stuff, i'll say no to that sidebar chatbox.

Just download adblocker pro for firefox, right click on it, then "adblock image" and choose the filter that is something like "reallyannoyingsite.com/*" all the scripts and images get blocked :)

Ah just enabled Ad-Block Plus and checked the sidebar button and puff it is gone. So there is no need to worry about. Any script from their server now will be blocked. Saves my bandwidth, cool beans. I don't know what chrome and opera users will do about this but there are lot of ways for firefox users.

well, i do like the idea of a shout box, i just don't like this thing on the side. it's annoying. i don't think i am gonna block it with any addon though. i wish it could just pop up in one window. i do like the fact that it caters to the guests. i think it needs some improvements because when i am opening different tabs, some of my messages in some of the tabs and some of them don't. i open up a new tab for each thread i want to read. so i am gettin' different chats evidently....anyway, something to get used to for the time being i guess. i think a chat box will draw in more visitors to become members too....

Sidebar chatbox in flash / javascript? Where? Here? Never seen that one, or maybe it was because i've never logged in via pc. Yeah, my mobile might be the reason. I wonder how bad it is that everybody think that it is annoying. Well, i'll check that later :)

Any floating widgets irritate the hell out of me, there is just no need to put them there! The facebook one on a tech site i visit actually causes a graphic tear in the page whenever you scroll. I mean who the hell thought that would be a good idea?!

Yup, logged in a few seconds ago and saw a massive chatbox with thousands of guests and it BLINKS ORANGE! Its so annoying! It blinks like, every 30 seconds or so and i have to click and unclick on it again to make it stop blinking. It's seriously not a good idea, it lags so much! I mean i would be half-annoyed if there wasn't a freakin' Bob dylan ticket ad there! I mean, who on Xisto is gonna buy some Bob Dylan Tickets? If i wanted them, i would have got there through by searching in google. If this is the future replacement for the 'old not so good time travelling' shoutbox, i would rather have the one which is there now.

Im glad you agree with us.The blinking is extremely annoying, i dont even know why anyone would ever design it like that. whoever done that is a complete idiot!I too understand the need for adverts but that is definitely not the way to do it... The only two things they couldve done worse are popups and in-line text links inserted automatically into post content... Then i think i would actually cancel my account...

I zapped it with Adblock Plus as soon as I saw it. It does look incredibly out of place and bears no relation to the main content of Xisto, and just cheapens the look of the forum. I don't mind having adverts on the forums at all - they clearly need to pay for themselves and all the free hosting we get, but there are plenty of ways to do it that look better and are less intrusive to members. I'd go so far as to say it would actually put new members off. Just my ?0.0128 (approx. $0.02 :) ).

Hmm, it would probably be less intrusive if it were on the (bottom) left, i guess, but it is really odd for it existing anyway. In Opera i browse with plug-ins disabled, so that explains why clicking on it just causes the tab to move near the center of the page (and nothing else). If it weren't for the fact that the shoutbox on top and the words "Bob Dylan Ticket" are visible, i would have assumed a new shoutbox was installed. Either way, i have disabled it in Opera.

TrueFusion, what plugins or way there is to disable ads in opera ? I'm searching for some plugins like ad-block plus for opera. is there any way to do that ?

TrueFusion, what plugins or way there is to disable ads in opera ? I'm searching for some plugins like ad-block plus for opera. is there any way to do that ?

Use Opera's Blocked Content feature (Tools > Advanced > Blocked Content). The script is loaded from bumpin.com, just type in a simple regular expression for that site.

ok. i officially don't like it. it was annoying before. now it's REALLY annoying. someone kept spamming it with a space and enter and all i kept hearing were beeping noises. the mute button doesn't work for me, so i had to turn down my own volume manually. THIS NEEDS TO BE TAKEN DOWN NOW. i said i probably wasn't going to block this thing, but i have quickly changed my mind if it doesn't get taken down by tomorrow because this thing is driving me crazy with this annoying user....

This was the first thing that I noticed when I first logged in. It was blinking. This chat box is also on Xisto too. I guess this chat box has some pros and cons about. I was barely talking to guests on it for five minutes and thought it was a bad idea. Guests were talking crap about this site. If other guests read this, that would mean less people joining. If we could get rid of these guests, then I think that it would be pretty awesome. The blinking is kind of annoying though. I always click on it and minimize it just to get rid of the blinking.