xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mra550

Yahoo Mail Verification - Spam? Scam? True? hello ive got an email in my yahoo

First of all I need to request moderator to check if the topic is posted in right segment. Just now got a mail from ' mailbot @ yahoo.com' with a header 'Yahoo Account Verification !!!' I think it is a spam - what do you say? I am using Y! ppc - if this is real I can lose money. Have a look .......

YAHOO ACCOUNT VERIFICATION ALERT !!! (KMM69467VL055834KM) Dear Valued Member, Due to the congestion in all Yahoo Accounts, Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended for security reasons.. Yahoo! ID Card Name: .................................................. ........... Yahoo! ID: .................................................. ......... Yahoo! Mail Address: .................................................. ......... Password: .................................................. ........ Member Information Gender: .................................................. ........ Birth Date: .................................................. ........ Occupation: .................................................. ..... Country: .................................................. ....... If you are a Yahoo! Account Premium subscriber, We will refund the unused portion of your Premium subscription, if any.. The refund will appear as a credit via the billing method we have on file for you. So please make sure that your billing information is correct and up-to-date. For more information, please visit

After following the instruction on this sheet your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal We appreciate your being a Yahoo! Account user. Sincerely, Yahoo! Customer Support

Have you ever received such mail before? Please tell me about this, I am in doubt

"From" can always be masked to be anything these days. What you should to is see the full header information and see if it's really from Yahoo with the valid authentication key. In fact, your email should show whether it's from genuine Yahoo account or not.

Once you determined it is from Yahoo, you should "hover" on any of attached links in the body of the message. On your status bar, that's at the bottom of your browser, it will show the target URL. 99.99% of the times it looks like the real Yahoo but at the end it would be like "us.ymail.taketo.me/... ... ..." So don't be fooled.

Yahoo or any other email providers will NEVER ask your password using external email form. Yahoo will not ask you to verify account already in existence. If they want to shutdown your account they just do--they don't hesitate . If the account shutdown is legitimate account, they will ask you to call a number or send them an email so that they can sort it out. And I can't find it how but I read it on their TOS that they will never ask you for your information until you actually sign-in.

So keeping these in mind, your email received is fake and not originated from Yahoo. You could have search the internet and found hundreds of topics like this one, including from Yahoo Answers at I received this email is from yahoo?Account verification but, making a topic in our forum may help others.

I think that this is spam and you maybe will be a victim of this class of fraud and scam. I receive tons of spam in my Live mail and just now I know that thousands of people who have fell in these cases of scam.So dont trust on this class of mail message and simple delete it...

thanks for the confirmation sir bufallo,yes this is a spam or maybe a scam why did yahoo send an email if they can do a page screen and enter your details there before you can proceed login in? I got some page screen when I haven't use my older yahoo mail for 3 years and when I log it in there is a page that will appear first asking for my birth date and asking if I want to recover my emails,They Can do that method than sending an email like this

Yea just a scam report it. They would never do something like that, because they don't have too. They could just make you do all that before you even log in. Just report it. You have to wonder how many not so smart people would do it. Which I guarantee if this was sent to enough people that a good amount of them would just throw their information right at them. People do the exact same thing with many other services. Xbox Live for instance people will pose as moderators or something asking for passwords and email addresses. Its all just a scam.