xisto Community
truefusion

Out In The Ocean

Posted Image

So as i was listening to a certain melody i was drawing this in the GIMP. I was a bit bored and just wanted to make something in the GIMP. Few brushes were used, and since i haven't perfected painting clouds, i used a random cloud image for some of the clouds. This really isn't as difficult to make as one might at first think, you just can't have a mind that seeks quick results.

If anyone is interested in the GIMP file, you can download it here.

Wow that looks really cool. You could make an ice block with your name on it, it would look nice.I don't know if it's me or what, but shouldn't the cloud kind of go over the sun, because now it looks like the clouds are behind the sun(kind of).How did you make the waves. I've always been interested in making waves, but it always turns out looking really weird. I can do waves with with the script fu or whatever that comes with GIMP effect thingy, which isn't really that good...I like the way you've put stars in the image making it so natural without me going "what the hell sun and stars?!" :D I think this would've looked better if you had provided us with a high resolution image.About the melody, did it take you 3 minutes to draw that?! :) JK Ahh, I gotta learn how to play that! I'll get all the girls since they all seem to be a fan of that movie! :D i think it's going to be a little harder than the eine kleine nachtmusik(mozart piece) I'm having troubles with nowadays :)Took a look at the xcf too. Making new layer #3 invisible gives kind of nice effect on the water and the star-area, but the clouds and the sun don't look right...Great job. So, when you're going to put these on facebook so I can become a fan? :(

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

I don't know if it's me or what, but shouldn't the cloud kind of go over the sun, because now it looks like the clouds are behind the sun(kind of).

I was thinking that too, but considering the only clouds surrounding the sun, in reality the light should be able to penetrate through those clouds anyway. And isn't it interesting that our blue sky makes the sun appear like it is within our atmosphere (i'm speaking about real life here)?

How did you make the waves. I've always been interested in making waves, but it always turns out looking really weird. I can do waves with with the script fu or whatever that comes with GIMP effect thingy, which isn't really that good...

The simplest way of doing it is to place down a gradient with the color you want for the ocean and a darker version of that color. Try to make sure the darker color covers most of the "canvas" and that the colors are from top to bottom, dark to light. The rest is merely using the Dodge / Burn tool. For a distance effect, you can use the blur tool. And if the ocean isn't looking smooth enough, you can use the smudge tool to even things out. This is why i said this mostly requires a mind that isn't looking for quick results.

So as i was listening to a certain melody i was drawing this in the GIMP.

This is what you put me in mind of with your image: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Just seemed to fit together in my mind :)

I was thinking that too, but considering the only clouds surrounding the sun, in reality the light should be able to penetrate through those clouds anyway. And isn't it interesting that our blue sky makes the sun appear like it is within our atmosphere (i'm speaking about real life here)?

I'll be honest - the clouds disappearing behind the sun was something I noticed :( As for why the sun appears the way it does, I'm not going to launch into one of my massive rambling physics-y explanations :D

I can imagine this at night and I think it would be a lot better. Don't get me wrong this is good, but just imagine a moon where the sun is. I think stars reflecting off water with a big bright moon at night looks pretty. :)

This is actually very very nice. I agree with zagubadu though, not saying this isnt good, but I agree that at night time, this would be a much better looking image. Stars and moon reflecting off the water.

first of all, i think the picture is awesome. i always wanted that gift to create something out of nothing...or at least using my creativity in other ways besides on one end of a camera.secondly, i really hate it when people create something and others have it in them to tell others how THEY would have done it when the fact is, they DIDN'T do it. trying to take credit off off someone elses work is just really CHEAP in my opinion.

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

I can imagine this at night and I think it would be a lot better. Don't get me wrong this is good, but just imagine a moon where the sun is. I think stars reflecting off water with a big bright moon at night looks pretty. :)

Funny you should mention that, as the the real inspiration came from this image: click. If i had a tablet, i could have probably achieved a more realistic ocean, but all the good tablets are expensive, out of my budget.

This is what you put me in mind of with your image: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/Just seemed to fit together in my mind :D

Heh.