xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
anwiii

Blah Blah Blah!

i think the topic is appropriate because all i see these newbies doing is posting BLAH BLAH BLAH comments. recently i have seen 1 or two line posts to threads that don't even help the thread starter. it's just a bunch of b.s. wrapped in 2 lines. i see people arguing about topics being closed because that are 1 year old. at the same time, i see those same people posting in topics a year old. when a new user comes online to introduce him or herself, all i see in response is how they should follow the rules and don't spam when THEY SPAM THEIR OWN SELVES!i have made my fair of mistakes. heck, i still do because i am somewhat more blunt than i have to be in my own opinion. i guess this thread i am starting is no different in my bluntness. but i have come to love this place. respect it. even respect others when i don't always agree.yea, i have made 1 or two liners before, but it directly had to do with the topic starter or a response to the topic and i'm good and being quick to the point sometime. or sometimes, i will just add a little humor to liven things up a little bit because i think it needs it.if someone posts about wanting a certain breed of dog in their life and explains why, and asking how they can properly care for that particular breed, why the #$%#$^#^# do i have to hear a one line comment like "i have a dalmation.....they are better". that is LESS than a line. and what significance is it to the actual thread?!?!? the dude just wanted to know how to take care of a particular breed.now i am all for the newbies here and even the people that don't know any better. i want trap to grow, but i also want users questions answered properly. we have experienced a growth of new users here recently and i think it's time the moderators and the admin crack down on some of the crap that is going on because of the surge.i know everything is up in the air as far as freedom of speech and allowing a user to feel welcome to post what the want.....but where is the line drawn?i am blunt. people don't like it. some people start off their posts by stating their feelings about me which has NOTHING to do with the topic. OR some people are so confused, that they start off a topic by stating they don't even know if this is the appropriate place for this topic and it takes 2 lines just to say it and go on with what they REALLY wanted to say! WTF!now, we have moderators that don't even log on every day or every week. what is that about? what is that about? we need more moderators and the moderators we have (except 3) don't even log on every day.and the admins....buffalohelp. nobody even knows your purpose here except being an admin. and opaque, you can be posting more and getting involved on the front line while others can be dealt duties to handle the back line WITH YOU.my point is, there needs to be changes around here while there should still be room for people to speak their mind. warnings should be given out more freely while suspesions should just be a myth for the most part. we have 100,000 users. how many of them are active? we can get them here, but we can't keep them here?something is wrong and something is wrong with the WHOLE system right now to head Xisto in to the future!don't get me wrong, i love this place. even if it doesn't change a darn thing. but i love it too much not to say anything. this place is like a home away from home for me even if i was issued warnings and a suspension at one time and being borderline at other times. i hope trap is always looking for the future so this place can not only attract new members who will STAY, but also guide those who stay to post more productively.the top 20 posters on this forum are ALL MALE! also, there are no female moderators. something says a lot about that too.aside from the negative post, my kudos goes out to jhaslip and truefusion. the mods that have made the most difference in my opinion. my kudos also goes out to the admins....opaque and buffalohelp. they do their best. and they BOTH have an understanding about people to create such a successful forum.nothing is perfect.......but this forum could be a stronger community. and it's up to the admins and the mods to continue their efforts....dedicated to a successful forum

Yes I have encountered a problem of not-so-interesting new topics. Many seem to be repetition, or just topics that I don't know much about(nothing wrong in that). All I'm saying is that when we have so many members here that post many short posts worth 0 in quality, isn't the SEO affected in some way? Really? The degrading amount of new quality content is worrying me. Especially with the more technical topics.Oh yes there aren't many women in the forum, maybe it's simply a chain reaction? Too many men. I don't know many female web designers either, so you don't expect them to wonder here for hosting services, so that should explain it? Besides, why you need more women here? Does it even matter?

When someone new comes to Xisto I welcome them and IF no one else has posted a link to the TOS and other rules I will. Simply because too many people skip over the TOS. Which isn't as bad as other ten paged paragraph after paragraph TOS. Most will just skip over this no matter how long it is. But the rules here are enforced and I hate to see people banned. Someone was just recently banned from the Shout Box because of spamming. I bet if he read the rules he wouldn't have. Because people love this service and how you can get free hosting in a week with a .com domain. So I will continue to post the TOS and rules because I think its important to keep members here and to keep them following the rules.

I have to agree to an extent.I think we could do with perhaps two more mods to cover the off days where the others arent active. Im glad that we have one or two in the UK and some in the US as it keeps the time balance good between the timezones. I make a habit out of reporting suspicious posts to the mods with a note explaining thatr their topics arent against the rules but are still crap etc... and if a first time post is about some product on the web i always google the first line and 9 times out of 10 i get thousands of results of copied content. We might not have the title but to an extent we are mods in a way, we dont make the decisions but we have the ability to flag up users and posts and i think we need to make better use of it.I report spam as soon as i see it everytime but i often see spam topics with plenty of views and several hours or even a day old and it is still there, i dont know if this is due to mod inactivity or simply that members arent reporting it. We do need a couple more though, but the ones we have do a good job.

i think the topic is appropriate because all i see these newbies doing is posting BLAH BLAH BLAH comments. recently i have seen 1 or two line posts to threads that don't even help the thread starter. it's just a bunch of b.s. wrapped in 2 lines. i see people arguing about topics being closed because that are 1 year old. at the same time, i see those same people posting in topics a year old. when a new user comes online to introduce him or herself, all i see in response is how they should follow the rules and don't spam when THEY SPAM THEIR OWN SELVES!

Members that post in old Xisto's threads that are a year old or older should be warned, This is what I personally think and others have there own thoughts.
When posting in a category such as 'Introductions' is ok, But if you keep on repeating the same reply over and over again just changing the members name is very bad. :)

i have made my fair of mistakes. heck, i still do because i am somewhat more blunt than i have to be in my own opinion. i guess this thread i am starting is no different in my bluntness. but i have come to love this place. respect it. even respect others when i don't always agree.

Me too have made many mistakes, Probablly the worst member Xisto has registered. This thread is very respectful as you say.

the top 20 posters on this forum are ALL MALE! also, there are no female moderators. something says a lot about that too.

Again this depends on such things like, Are they a good moderator? Has she got the time? Would she like to become a moderator? I cant see the administration team turning down females that want to be moderators.

nothing is perfect.......but this forum could be a stronger community. and it's up to the admins and the mods to continue their efforts....dedicated to a successful forum

Correct,I think they are always open to suggestions like this.

I don't think the problem lies with moderators being active enough. I don't think its fair to expect them to search through all threads looking for inappropriate posts and eliminating them there and now. That's just too much to expect from anyone. I think the current system of users reporting post that are against forum rules and then waiting for the moderators to take a look is perfectly fine. No ones doing to die before the moderators check so just be patient. There is no way to stop people coming in and breaking the rules because not everyone is law abiding. We just have to live with it. The idea of have a perfect forum or anything is unrealistic and these problems should just be accepted. I have to admit i do not always report posts I think are inappropriate or spam because I am lazy to click the report sometimes. This does not mean someone else wont and you don't have to sit there and read the entire post(s) of spam. Just report it and move on.

This forum would do with more moderation. a good idea would be the admins hand selecting some trusted users who are active every day or every other day and holding a poll so that the members can vote for who they want to be moderator. good idea?

All I really want to add about this topic is..There is a report button.But seeing as many would consider that spam I'll add a bit more.If you report something it will get fixed. Moderators and admins WILL see it, and do what is needed. You don't need a lot of moderators to run the forum, not at all, as long as the moderator looks a the reports then you should be fine. Moderators might also have a different opinion on whats right or wrong, even though you think its wrong, they are the ones who are chosen to be moderators, and they generally are referred to always doing the right thing, making the right choices, and so on.I personally think there needs not to be more moderators, unless some moderators drop off.Thats just my thoughts... Stop whinnninggg. If there was much much more spam then it would be taken into more serious consideration.

:) So what the first girl to step up gets a moderator spot? Whats that even have to do with anything, there not being a girl moderator? I guess I'm just missing your point. What we need to do is get some actually interesting topics out there. Yea I agree the one liner topics are ridiculous. I believe there should be a certain amount requirement to new topics. 1-2 line topics are bad and doesn't give a lot of information so the following replies suffer as well.Also on another note the replying in 1-5 year old threads is ridiculous. Now I know I'm going to have fingers pointed at me but I have a good excuse. See I don't always look at the dates. So when someone really desperate for posts do post in an old thread I sometimes post in it as well because I don't always pay attention. Recently its been bad usually with new members who post in extremely old threads. Please make it a rule that warns. Edited by Zagubadu? (see edit history)

First of all, i thought it was rather odd you posted a post named Blah Blah Blah.. first thing i thought when i read it was KE$HA! a girl probably posted this... fun! but ok, i guess im spamming by even saying that

I agree with you on the 3 line spam responses etc, im not going to lie i do it too, when i need to get a lot of mycents fast

But you cannot really blame the commenter, you have to blame the poster as well

Some people on here post neverending posts just to get more points/mycents or whatever, i want to kill myself whenever i see one of those, seriously the minute i get into Xisto and start going through the new posts to find SOMETHING to comment/reply/help in i end up just going to my purse, getting my debit card out, and moving on with my life

Sure all hail the good posters, but seriously? Cant we just get to the point?

I understand this website is run on a point system, but cant we fix that a little?

Id be glad to be able to post/comment on something with a straight up/to the point setence

Either way, since i read all the comments and everyone commented on the girl thing, i am going to comment on that too LOL

How does that have to do with anything? not to be sexist, after all.. I am a girl, but you do have a point, there are no girls on Xisto.. It would be great if the website had more girls, well for me at least, that would bring a lot MORE exciting posts, that are not guy-point-related

I like what everyone is saying. Particularly Baniboy's point:I'm really at a loss for where to post some days. Often it feels like the only up to date topics are the one liners:"Do you think Obama will end Global Warming?". No, he probably won't.. Next.But then, people seem to appease such posters by offering reams and reams of scientific evidence and questions of morality. It'd be great if it were a genuine discussion, but there's not a hope in hell of the original poster returning, and the topics are always ruined when someone goes: "I like Obama, he's great". A good opinion, but a waste of a post to the extreme..However, I'm often amazed by how good the Tra- sorry, Xisto community is. For post-to-host site (and believe me, I've experienced some real crud on my journey here) a lot of the regulars aren't here for MyCENTs, and many new members simply want a place to talk.That's the kind of place I want to join, and if I happen to get free webhosting for making friends and replying coherently and intelligibly, good!As of late, I've started to ignore my MyCENTs counter, knowing that I've been posting enough (and more), even when I don't need to. Good times.. ;)

Currently, We are going through a RENOVATION. The traffic we are getting are not presented with our services in the right way. I am doing research and changing this site as required. But research in SEO takes a long long time and one must be really patient to understand the conclusion. I am also making the system more generous to make sure that members over here stop contributing for mycents and start participating for the joy/fun of it. I am open to new Suggestions.. Something like making a customized Page showing list of threads relevant to field of your interest. I am sure, things will improve by the next month when our forum traffic is stabilized. Currently its not due to the domain name change. We are losing a very good amount of traffic currently and we need to be patient while SEs re-index our data.As for gisellebebegirl's opinion, how can we invite girls to post in this forum? ;)

Agreed totally.I really don't think there is much to post about on this forum anymore, besides most threats with aload of garbage in. The gamma server mainly needs a BETTER FIREWALL because our sites aare vulnerable to DDoS and botnet attacks...I submit a ticket and they tell me to purchase a bloody Virtual Private Server (VPS) package for $40 a month....I already have 2 domains, and hosting with this service...So, what's this add up to (IF I got the VPS as recommended by support?)..TGTAS.com Domain - $10TheGTASector.net Domain - $10Virtual Private Server Package - $40Total: $60 USD a MONTH...60 dollars!?!? Somehow, with the amount of useless posts/threads at this moment in time, I really don't se how I'm going to accomplish that. I don't have all the time in the world, and I know most others don't either, but with me going to College Monday, Tuesday and Thusday (My course days) I have very little time for this site anymore. :P I really don't know what to do. ;)

i agree with everything is listed here. we need more moderators here, we need active moderators that can do the work regularly. even jhaslip, truefusion, opaque and buffalohelp are doing a great job, but i don't think the can keep up the good work alone. in fact i didn't know that there are others admins rather them. simply, because they are always online, reply for my threads, or others threads, or even sending me pm (but that was only in the beginning ;) ). so, where are the other admins if there are any??about the spamming reply in one line or two, then that's right, why we are seeing this so much lately, and that's related to the admin issue. if there are enough active admins they can stop this. when i started here i got some pms that i should follow the rules here, and i did. i think this procedure of signing in, posting, getting warnings is a predictable thing. because most of the people who signing up here are doing that to get a free hosting. so, they really want to post fast to get a mycent. here comes the role of admins to control this and notify them that the rules here are strict. another thing about newbies, i believe that even they may read the rules, they didn't follow them, for one good reason, they think the forums here are as any other forums, which means they can do what they want without a warning. i know that fact because after four months of writing here i know that the forum here are completely different of any other forum i used to write in all my life. here the rules are important, the members are reliable, and cooperative. therefore it differs from any other forum. all this can't the newbie know about it without the admin role.about there is not any female admin, i agree we need at least a one maybe as the rest of you said it has noting to do with the situation here, but i think it is important to hear a female opinion in many subjects. having a female admin that means she will be active, that's way we will get her opinion regularly which will give a variety of points of views. in fact, lately, i noticed that female members are also very little, including me it will be 4 or 5 members, or maybe more but i didn't find them yet :P .maybe as baniboy said it's because there's not much web designers or developers that cares to get a hosting.after all,i hope all that can be fixed as soon as possible, because really things here are not as usual as always.

Spam spam spam , and i'm not spamming , i'm just talking about spam.People said a lot about spam and spammers , but this is an issue every website and board on the net have to deal with it , not only the trap ; i mean the Xisto ! the difference reside in the manner we will face it and here come my idea to face the spam issue and the oneliners , Opaque can improve the Mycent code to something that will give Bonus (for the quality posts) and Malus for the spam and oneliners.Another idea , is by implementing a general moderating system , so Our GREAT moderators will still moderators , but for the rest instead of clicking the "report" button to tell themoderators that this could be a spam , Opaque always , can code something that after X time the report button will be clicked , the post will be automatically flagged as SPAM , and like that moderators will have less work to do , and everybody can contribute to keep the board clean.