xisto Community
-Sky-

My Pc Is Over-over-clocked [resolved]

Hey guys.I need some help. I sort of "over-over" clocked my computers CPU a little too much and now it wont even boot.:) I am having to write this on my Laptop fornow. I'm not sure what to do as I cant even get onto my computer, it just overheats in seconds of booting up! :D I use:AMD Athlon 64 3200+ ProcessorMemory: 1.25GBCould I get support with this computer related issue please?Thank you.

just a question ok? what do you mean by over clocked? sorry does it do somthing about the computer clock? or maybe you mean cloak? I am not a geek in computer sorry what does it mean? I want to learn more terms thank you if you wouldn't mind to tell me what :)

When overclocking (otherwise known as OC'd) you are like..pushing your CPU CLOCK to a point where it can speed up your system (sort of) but it increases your Ghz amount.

I overclocked it by 3 levels, it is at 4.02Ghz atm when originally it's 2.01Ghz.

Overclocking a computer's processor or memory causes it to go faster than its factory rated speed. A processor rated at 2.4GHz might be overclocked to 2.5GHz or 2.6GHz, while memory rated at 200MHz might be pushed to 220MHz or higher. The extra speed results in more work being done by the processor and/or memory in a given time period, increasing the overall computing performance of the PC.

Source: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804

waaa can that be made? :D wow I didn't know that you can do that... can that trick be applied in a laptop? or in desktop only? how did you did it? that sure is fast you make a 2ghz into 4ghz processor :) mm, you overspeed? why not roll it back?

I cant if I cant boot onto my computer...I need another way to reset the CMOS. (CMOS is what controls the overclocking settings). I cant even get into the BIOS CMOS setup.. :)

Are these setting based on your HD? If so why not just take out your HD and put it into another working computer then change the setting from there? If not I'm assuming its in the BIOS or something like that. Have you done any searching online there must be someone else who has done this same thing.

Hi -Sky-1. What were you trying to do ? :) Overclocking is generally done only upto a certain limit. I haven't seen anyone overclock more than 10% of stock speed. Anyways. Did you have a fan modification installed or something when you attempted this ? coz If not , your processor might have been damaged.2. Overclock settings are based on bios generally. Can you please elaborate how you achieved this overclocking ? I mean did you manually change the clock and clock multipliers from bios or changed voltage settings ? or Did you use a tool from your OS ? and Do mention you motherboard's model3. You can try removing the battery on your motherboard and then starting up the PC. Chances are it'll boot normally.

agubadu, I have disconnected the heatsink from on my CPU (on my PC) and the CPU chip seems, feels and looks fine. There's absolutely no markings on it of where it could have fried or even melted. The CPU seems to be in good condition. I read on overclock.net that if I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in, it'd reset to factory settings..should I try this?

Ok I've just found out that over clocking can be a bit dangerous depending on the CPU's speed, and type. In some cases it can just slow your computer down a bit, but in other cases it can fry your cpu leaving it useless and broken for good. I believe this may have happen as you cannot even start it up properly. Still I'd try and look for other options before buying a new CPU.

@mra550 - You can NOT always increase the processor speed. Plus you should know what you are doing. Since overclocking means you are increasing the processors safe clock speed and in some cases voltage to make it run faster. While doing this, if you Over do this :) (like our friend -Sky-) you might end up with a useless system. When overclocked , a processor produces more heat than it normally does, even when its idle. Hence , it needs more cooling also.

agubadu, I have disconnected the heatsink from on my CPU (on my PC) and the CPU chip seems, feels and looks fine. There's absolutely no markings on it of where it could have fried or even melted. The CPU seems to be in good condition. I read on overclock.net that if I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in, it'd reset to factory settings..should I try this?

Yes definitely do it. All that battery does is keep your bios setting and your clock time. Also the website I was one when they over clocked it they did not double the speed as thats not practical. You can only overclock a little bit. Like 3.33GHz to maybe if your lucky 3.66GHz. I don't think its possible to make it double. So just take out the small battery on your motherboard and this should fix your problem.

It makes sense that you take out the CMOS battery to restore factory default settings... what do you have to lose? Your computer already doesn't boot. :) Hopefully your CMOS battery is only held by prongs and not actually soldered to the motherboard... for convenience sake.Make sure your CPU heat sink/cooler is mounted properly too. That now can be a contributor to your machine not booting up.You didn't elaborate on what happens either when you try to turn the machine on. Do you hit the power button and everything starts to run for a few seconds, then shuts off? What happens? (If you provide this sort of info, our more hardware-inclined geeks would be more able to help you out.) :D

Now just because your CPU looks fine it might not be the thing is it sounds like your Motherboard has not been able to deal with the voltage and other things. When my motherboard became faulty this was happening to me, Do you have a spear motherboard around the house so you could try this.