xisto Community
Zagubadu?

Questions Concerning Ram Mixing Modules

Hello I figure there is definitely someone out there who can answer my question. Anyways I just recently upgraded my ram from 1GB too 2GB (Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)) So I took out my two half GB's. I was wondering if I could put one of the half gigs back in too get 2.5gigs of RAM this wouldn't mess anything up due to the fact that they are different right? Heres the half GB specs 512MB PC2-4200 533MHz. I don't know why the 2GB stick doesn't say anything about MHz. I'm not really educated in RAM so forgive me if this question is painfully obvious. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, Firstly your 2GB ram is of 800 MHz and the 512 ram is 533 MHz. Secondly, I don't know for sure but I think the 2GB module is DDR2 based and the 512 is DDR (old) So I don't think the ram would be compatible with each other. Out of curiosity, Since I don't know about your motherboad, were you able to run the 2GB module on your system :D ? Do mention more specs next time :)

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

PC2 6400 RAM is 800Mhz.

Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

When you mix RAMs you get less than desired performance. The easiest rule is that it takes on the slowest speed. In your case, when you mix 800Mhx with 533Mhz, they all function as 533Mhz. Normally, a RAM that was designed for faster speed should be reverse compatible. However, some RAMs are ONLY designed for particular rated speed. So do be careful. The first sign is that when you start the computer you'll hear serious beeps to tell you RAM is malfunctioning or BIOS will not recognize the full RAM size.

If your system recognizes the full 2.5 GB RAM, then you are all good. Well not really but so far so good. You should perform RAM test using system tester such as benchmark testers. You don't want your RAM to fail when using your RAM to the full capacity.

I'm not sure what motherboard you have, so i can't tell if 2 gigs is the maximum supported amount of memory for your motherboard. However, it sounds like it would be a motherboard that could support at least 4 to 8 gigs. I am also uncertain if you are capable of entering the BIOS and modifying the RAM timings and speed. If you can't enter the BIOS and modify the RAM configuration, then i can't say if adding in the extra will work.

The maximum memory that my mobo can handle is 4 gigs. Its also a 64 bit OS so thats good. So i the long run what will work better talking performance. Two GB with the higher speed? Or 2.5 GB of slower speeds? I mean the fact that there is another half GB shouldn't that still make it better regardless of the speeds? Lets say this is going to work for my computer is it better then just using the 2 GB stick?

A 2 GB single stick will perform faster than the 2.5 that you are going to put up. There are two simple reasons. Firstly , You'll clock won't be 800 it'll be only 533 . Secondly, I don't know why but even when people put up 1+1 GB it performs slower than a single 2 GB. That's what I have noticed. So I'll say you stick with a single 2 GB. If you plan to upgrade in future buy another 2 GB and put it. oh, and You won't see more than 3 GB in a 32 bit system. So unless u plan upgrading on a 64 bit OS stick to 2 GBHope this helps :)

A 2 GB single stick will perform faster than the 2.5 that you are going to put up. There are two simple reasons. Firstly , You'll clock won't be 800 it'll be only 533 . Secondly, I don't know why but even when people put up 1+1 GB it performs slower than a single 2 GB. That's what I have noticed. So I'll say you stick with a single 2 GB. If you plan to upgrade in future buy another 2 GB and put it. oh, and You won't see more than 3 GB in a 32 bit system. So unless u plan upgrading on a 64 bit OS stick to 2 GB
Hope this helps :)

Yea my mobo can handle 4GB of Ram and I have a 64 bit system. So its all good. Yea and I should make sure that 2GB stick is the same as the other one right?

Yea and I should make sure that 2GB stick is the same as the other one right?

I'd try to go the other way around (i.e. get another DDR2 800), since you already have a DDR2 800 stick. But as bluedragon hinted, more RAM sticks means the computer has to manage more dimms. While practically you may not notice any decrease in performance, it is said that such a setup will slightly decrease performance.