xisto Community
Nelson Blogs

Two Blogs, One Domain

Is it possible to have two Wordpress blogs on one domain? For example:blogname.domainname.com, blogname2.domainname.comIf it is possible to have a website contain two blogs, what would you trappers think about this? What it affect the website's search engine optimization? ?

You can have multiple blogs, especially WordPress, under one domain. As long as you place them under unique folder(s), i.e. wordpressfolder1/ and wordpressfolder2/Consequently, you can use these folders as usages for subdomains. When you create subdomains the cPanel will ask where to use folders. By setting wordpressfolder1 as subdomain1.domain_name.com you are all set as unique blog(s).As far as search engine goes, it's all up to them. I know that same IP address is sometimes penalized or disregarded from SEO because it's coming from the same IP but multiple domains.But, if your contents are popular, unique and continuous that could all change.

Anyone knows, if it's possible to use Wordpress for two different subdomains? By changing the config and using the same files?For example, to use files in wordpress directory and use a different subdomain for it in the config and using a different DB, because in different DB you can set a lot of custom stuff, liek different content and different skin and etc.On my CMS, I tried to create a structure like that, all the root files are in a private folder and the config, template and custom plugin files are in the subdomain folder which are used by defining different paths, saves some space..Because for example when using Zend framework, usually a lot of whom just for every site has a copy of the Zend framework in the library folder, so everytime you need to update like 30 folders and have multiple files which just use space.. Of course, a lot of whom just doesn't update it, as the site works well..For doing this with wordpress, I guess the only problem would be if you're using custom/modified files for ywo different blogs, but still most of those files are copies..

Anyone knows, if it's possible to use Wordpress for two different subdomains? By changing the config and using the same files?

You can't use the same Wordpress install to run multiple sites in that way. I think Wordpress MU would allow you to do this - it's designed as a platform for you to offer multiple blogs to people running from the same cetnral Wordpress installation. They can share themes, extensions, etc. and pick which ones they want to use for their own blog. I can't remember exactly how each blog is accesses via the address though - I think it's most likely to be folder names (like http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) rather than with subdomains. Drupal offers exactly what you want from one normal installation and I believe it works with subdomains if you want it to, but of course that would require you running Drupal rather than Wordpress :)

You can do that but i think it is pain that way. Why not use Wordpress MU for that ? If you think about SEO and niche specific then that way it'll make sense else better to go with wordpress MU.

Anyone knows, if it's possible to use Wordpress for two different subdomains? By changing the config and using the same files?

It is not possible to use single installation for two different domains. But you can make content available which is same on two different domains. You can post full RSS feeds and link your feed into new wordpress and publish posts by linking. Yousaytoo.com site is doing that in this way. So i think there are some wordpress solutions available that way.

If you are using a folder in your public html, that folder can be a subdomain or a domain when using an addon domain from cpanel, as I remember, in wordpress you can set root path and an url which to use for wordpress blog..so example.com/blog1 or example.com/blog2 can be blog1.example.com or blog2.example.com as long as they are accessible and if you have the ability to use addon domains, you can create one like myblog.com which use a path from .example.com/blog2I've done it a lot of times, also to make it not possible to be accessed through /directory/ but only with domain, you can play with htaccess file to redirect or by using PHP in the top code to check how the site was accessed.I think years ago I used to use my blog with /blog/ but later just changed some settings in wordpress, created a subdomain for blog.domain.net and everything worked.

There is a way to use one database of Wordpress and use it for two blogs--use RSS to HTML.One blog will run the original WP with database. The other blog can use RSS2HTML from the first WP RSS and voila you have second blog with the same article from the first.

is it possible to use one domain in two blogs? I know you can only use one blog in one domain name or maybe yes you can by adding some subdomains right? or adding some new folders into your publichtml like blog wherein domain.com/blog/  and the other one is in the root domain which is domain.com, sorry my friend I also don't know about this one you are talking about