xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wonderfullygifted

So I'm Thinking About Getting A Chihuahua?

They're so cute, and small, and I love their personalities!Like, I love how they only tend to like one individual instead of being ignorant like other dogs and liking everyone.
What do you guys think about this?

Any experiences? :)

Well, I have never owned any *small* dogs, but my friend has a Pug, which are pretty small, and the thing is really fun to play with, and he is awesome. I myself own a Basset Hound, Lily, and she is a really playful little puppy.
I don't like dogs who are not friendly. Why would you want a dog who hates all other people, except you? Then you can't bring any dates/girlfriends over, or any friends, because he will hate them. I am just curious why you want a dog like that.\

I myself am a very friendly person, and hyper active, and I like a dog that reflects that.

Haha, yeah my problem is like, I love the Chihuahua.
Tbh, I'm a jealous person.. and I tend to like my animals way more than human beings.
And if they start liking someone else, I kind of feel replaced or something.

plus they have cons like:

If you want a dog who...
* Is the smallest and easiest of all breeds to carry around
* Comes in a variety of sizes, coats, and colors
* Takes himself very seriously (which can be amusing to watch)
* Is funny and entertaining in eccentric ways (hard to describe!)
* Makes a keen watchdog
* Doesn't need much exercise
* Lives a long time

If you don't want to deal with...

* The fragility of toy breeds
* Notorious housebreaking difficulties, especially in cold or wet weather
* Suspicious barking and threats when strangers or strange dogs approach
* An extremely careful search to avoid neurotic/antisocial Chihuahua lines

I kind of like those characteristics with the chihuahua.

But they bark a lot, and shed, and they might have housebreaking problems..

Apparently chihuahuas are hard to housebreak..
which would be my only concern, since I don't exactly know how to housebreak a dog, and if it starts doing accidents on my floors I'm going to have to get rid of it.

So your thinking about getting an ankle biter, huh? Personally I hate chihuahuas and each one I've encountered has been a yapper and never shuts up. Maybe its just me. :) I've heard that most of them bark a lot and never really shut up. My dog is a shitsu something else mixed might be like half toy poodle or something. But hes really cute and never barks. I would recommend getting a different kind of dog. Unless you have ear plugs handy.

yeah! and they are really cute but they are annoying you know? aha we have 3 and when it is in the middle of the night :Dthey will keep on barking until your ears %1$%@ :), well its a good thing to have an animals in the house,but be sure to take care of them carefully and give time, don't just buy and leave them ok?

yeah! and they are really cute but they are annoying you know? aha we have 3 and when it is in the middle of the night :D

they will keep on barking until your ears %1$%@ :) , well its a good thing to have an animals in the house,

but be sure to take care of them carefully and give time, don't just buy and leave them ok?

Yeah that's my problem..

I love them though I will give them all my time :(

I like how they bark though, like I feel like they do protect and it's sweet cause they are so small lol.

So it's kind of like they'll risk their own lives to protect you. which is really generous of them.

"Why Your Chihuahua Barks

Your Chihuahua is Protecting You:

One reason your Chihuahua barks may be because they have no idea that they are a toy dog and feel that they can protect you from anything they feel is a danger. To a small dog, there are a lot of things may seem like a possible danger to them, they are only 1-6 pounds! A loud noise for example. Do not be angry at your Chihuahua for barking at a an unexpected noise like a car motor or lightening. There are ways to show him that all is okay and there is no reason to be afraid of the noise or feel they have to be in protection mode.

Chihuahuas make very good watchdogs and your Chihuahua bark to alert you to anything out of the ordinary . Chihuahuas are very aware of their surroundings, noises and other people . Believing they are much larger than they are, a Chihuahua will bark to protect the people in their family. As with any dog, you may wish to understand the different reasons why your dog barks and then you can begin to take steps to stop the barking. "

:D Oh those dogs are very cute and very very loyal to one owner too ,they don't take up easily with others as one may think .they do not like to actually be consider a family dog either .do not take much care and brushing ,easy to keep clean .have maybe sometimes ,especially when get one that is really high strung out and can easily get stressed out over anything ,they do tend to ,create some medical problems ,like skin rashes ,mostly that is caused from being depressed environment or stressed out ,like visitors that like to tease them ,just hear them growl or bark or their protecting their one owner .when that happens in getting skin rash ,there is this simple solution to cure it ,that i getting something called bio silk ,that protects the coat and skin .although looking for a pet that will be very loyal to just one owner ,you picked the right pet then .wish you best of luck as getting a pet is filled with happiness at same time it becomes a pet that is life long best friend . :)

Go for it and get a Chihuahua. But if you are looking for having a jolly rough playing time with it, then nope, Chihuahua is not the right breed you should be looking at. Btw, be aware that house-breaking a Chihuahua is not easy.

Wonderfullygifted, I would highly recommend a Chihuahua as a pet. I have one myself, a little girl, who is 1.5 years old. Chihuahuas make wonderful, loyal, loving and affectionate companions. My Kroshka is my best friend. When I'm ill, when I'm studying, when I'm relaxing, when I'm feeling sad, she is always there to comfort me, to provide a companionship to me. When I pull all-nighters working on my thesis or preparing for exams, she faithfully stays with me, often falling asleep behind me in my chair or in my lap. In the Summer, we run together in a backyard or go for a swim in a pool or just relax on a grass. Your Chihuahua will love you fiercely and unconditionally, with no regard for your gender, creed, nationality, race, socio-economic status or beliefs. They never judge you, never hurt your feelings, never discourage you. Sometimes, I think that I love my Chihuahua more than I love my fiancee of 3 years, who, in his own right, is the most wonderful and honorable man in the world. Still, I think I love her more... 

In addition, Chihuahuas are very easy to care for: no brushing, no grooming is required. I simply put mine in the sink, sprinkle some shampoo on her, rinse and call it a day. You will have to, however, trim your dog's nails (very gently or you will hurt him/her, even break his/her paw, as Chihuahuas tend to squirm a lot during this process), clean his/her ears regularly, watch his/her diet (Chihuahuas are prone to obesity, which can result in diabetes, hypertension, etc.), take your dog to a vet for shots and check-ups and, very importantly, have her/him spayed or neutered. You absolutely must attend to your dog's health and well-being. Chihuahuas, however, require no large space or a rigorous exercise. My dog gets plenty of exercise by simply doing laps around my living room and chasing me around a dining room table. They are, however, very sensitive to cold. I keep a space heater next to my dog's bed during the cold months and put a sweater on her in addition. 

As far as housebreaking, that is a toughie indeed. I would advise you to get your puppy in the Summer and take her/him out every 2 hours and right after a meal. I also kept pee-pee pads in the house as a back-up. You will have to keep your puppy in a confined, puppy-proofed, comfortable area with a bed, toys, water, food and pee-pee pads. If you let your puppy roam around, you WILL have accidents. Please do NOT do crate-training. Chihuahuas will cry and howl and still go potty inside their crate! This method may very well work for other breeds, but not for Chihuahuas. Also, when you come home or walk into a room where you keep your puppy, you must completely ignore her/him for a while. If you do not, your Chihuahua will get very excited to see you and WILL pee on a floor, furniture or even you just from sheer happiness. Whatever your dog does, do NOT  yell or hit your Chihuahua. It will be utterly counter-productive. Chihuahuas are pretty nervous and scared as is, if you treat yours harshly in addition, he/she will be scared of you and will pee whenever you approach or try to pet your dog. It's referred to as submissive urination. When my dog had an accident or barked or displayed any other inappropriate behavior, I simply looked into her eyes and said 'No' and 'Bad dog' in a calm, firm tone. Then I would ignore her for a while as punishment. She very quickly learned that bad behavior on her part displeased me and got her deprived of my attention and affection. You must control your Chihuahua's barking though, or it will get out of control. However, as I said before, be calm and firm, but not harsh. If you stress your dog, it would only exacerbate his/her barking. Above all, socialize him/her properly. A well-adjusted and socialized Chihuahua tends not to bark excessively. 

Just enjoy your Chihuahua. Good luck!

Wow, a question I can actually respond to with some authority! :) Chihuahua's can pretty easily become a one man/woman dog. They are quite likely to attatch themselves to one family member and ignore everyone else. This can be overcome if the dog is purchased as a puppy and it is given attention by all members of the immediate family, and the family also encourages visitors to play with the dog too. Getting the puppy out in the public will also help, taking it in to dog friendly stores, (most pet stores allow you to bring pets in now a days) and any social gatherings, dog parks, swap meets, etc where dogs are welcome should be frequented with your new pup. As far as being yappy, yes, they can be. But this is also a learned behaviour and can at least to a point be modified by early training. There are a lot of ways to discourage nusance barking. I tell my puppy customers that they need to read SEVERAL dog training books. There are about as many theories to dog training as there are dog trainers. What may work wonders for one dog will have no effect on another, so it is important to read more than one book on training.

i am all for a loyal pet. but those little ankle biters will bark at anything and not get too close to anyone but it's owner. say NO to the rat dog!