xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

I Became An Uncle! my niece is beautiful

On Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 4:12pm I became a proud uncle of 5 lbs 2.5 oz.

Her birth weight was low because she was born a month early from her due date. My sister went in for her regular checkup on Thursday and was ordered to check into a hospital immediately. Her blood work did not look good and so her doctor thought it would be best if she could have induced birth.

There were scary moments. Her uric acid levels were off the chart, her blood pressure was too high and she was in danger. The baby was fine but the mommy wasn't doing so well. The syndrome is called pre-eclampsia which followed by HELLP.

When she checked in she was doing fine without any pain or swelling. As she was injected with shots to induce labor she started to have complications. At which time, she was asked to sign bunch of papers including her consent to perform C-section. The fact that she signed possible C-section sent shock waves to family around us.

Hours came and went by, the baby didn't want to come naturally. And so, she was rushed to the operating table. As she was being wheeled away I saw her shivering, shaking from just being nervous. Oh, my heart just sank. I felt so helpless. And knew that it's something she can go through alone. And knowing that she has to go through this alone made me feel even more helpless. My brother-in-law was just so supportive with my sister's needs. I am so bless to have such a caring brother-in-law. He took care of my mother, picking her up from the apartment and dropping her off while running around picking up things for my sister and for the baby.

My sister didn't wake up from her surgery until early Sunday morning. She expressed how sore she was and her teeth were still chattering. I have never felt so wanting to cradle my sister; how I can somehow ease her pain. But I realized I was standing in front of a woman who gave birth and she did it all by herself. She is no longer the girl whom I taught her to put her socks on straight, no longer the girl who asked me to show her how to spell, no longer the girl who called me in the middle of the night crying because she had a fight with her boyfriend, and no longer the girl who hugged me tightly at her graduation. I was mixed with emotions that I just broke down.

The miracles of life: I have always imagined it, I saw it from afar, I witnessed it from close. But, I never felt it like this. I can't wait until I hold my niece and tell her how much I adore her. My niece is still in the ICU due to her low birth weight. She is quieter than other babies but kicking and moving just the same.

Congrats, BuffaloHelp. You're really blessed. It's good that your sister is feeling well. I hope you will make a good uncle! P.S. Dont scare the baby! :)

Yea I have an uncle. And hes younger then me :D I refuse to call someone younger then me my uncle though. Anyways congratulations I'm glad it all worked out. There were lots of complications. Must have been scary. Reading your story I thought your sister was going to die just because of all the different things that happened. Well my best wishes for the both of them. :)