xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zagubadu?

Grinding Teeth In Sleep Found out in Nightmares

This may sound wierd but I believe as I am sleeping I can feel things. And what I feel is my teeth grinding together so badly it hurts and the nightmare part comes in when I start thinking they are going to break. I can feel all of this while I sleep. It only happens roughly once a week but it kind of freaks me out. Is it possible to find out you grind your teeth in this way? Or is it all my imaginations. I think I've read somewhere that quite a few health problems can come from grinding your teeth. Like migranes and what not.

i grind my teeth. always have. your dentist can see if you grind yours. your teeth will not break....but what will happen over time is that your teeth will deteriorate where you grind them. i have never had any physical effects from grinding my teeth while i sleep like migranes. i think it has to do with stress so if you have nightmares, the grinding could get worse. talk to your dentist to see what he recomends to protect your teeth. it's also important to know those things that can help you so you don't have the nightmares based on your thoughts when you feel yourself grinding your teeth

i never had nightmares about that stuff, but i remember one time when i was procrastinating getting a tooth fixed, i would have nightmares that my teeth would fall out haha not pretty dreams :) but when i went to the dentist and got the tooth taken care of, the nightmares went away. so i highly suggest you do the things that would relieve your mind so your nightmares don't progress in to something that can be prevented.

This may sound wierd but I believe as I am sleeping I can feel things. And what I feel is my teeth grinding together so badly it hurts and the nightmare part comes in when I start thinking they are going to break. I can feel all of this while I sleep. It only happens roughly once a week but it kind of freaks me out. Is it possible to find out you grind your teeth in this way? Or is it all my imaginations. I think I've read somewhere that quite a few health problems can come from grinding your teeth. Like migranes and what not.

I now know what you think I'm talking about. Should have been more specific. Its not like normal top teeth siting on bottom teeth clenched downwards and moving back and forth. It feels like in my sleep I am putting my bottom teeth in front of my top teeth. ( Like an underbite ) Locking it there and then trying to move it just to one side. It really freaks me out and I think its possible to lose a tooth that way. Go ahead and try it. Of course you couldn't break your teeth right now doing it, because you just wouldn't let yourself. In my sleep though it feels as if they are bending. ( Probably just the nightmare part ) I hate it so much when it happens.

Most people who suffer from grinding teeth do not know about it, because they usually clench their teeth during sleep. Depressed people, especially those who are not aware of this condition, usually turn to alcohol to forget their problems. This is an additional cause they tend to suffer from bruxism.(yeah, your a 'Bruxor'). Alcohol is strengthen bruxism. To treat teeth grinding due to, the roles of nutrition are, therapy, and anti-depressants come into play. Calcium is the nutrient most recommended ford patients suffering from 'grinding teeth'.

It is advisable for these patients to follow a high calcium diet to help regulate the involuntary movement of his jaw muscles.However, calcium-rich foods dairy products are not sufficient. It is also important to magnesium that is commonly found in wholegrain, so that calcium can be assimilated. Both calcium and magnesium can correct the bad function of the muscles and helps to calm and control the central nervous system.

Depression patients are advised to get regular advice through their sessions to fully address their condition. This is the best ally to correct behavioral therapies that can help treat teeth grinding as well. Psychiatrists can prescribe antidepressant medication to their patients. It is essential to take these drugs regularly as per the instructions of the expert in the field of health.
There are also herbal remedies that can help solve the cases of teeth grinding that is related to depression. The use of natural herbs and teas can be helpful in releasing tension, stress and anxiety. Herbs of choice, which works especially for this purpose, are passion fruit, peppermint, hops, fennel, and lemon balm. Drink any one of these teas an hour before going to bed for a more relaxed, restful sleep.

Teeth grinding and emotional troubles are interrelated. This is is why it is very important to note causes of grinding teeth to the treatment to be performed. A good mood and good balance of emotions can be helpful in the management of grinding teeth and its effects on health.

1. The medical term for grinding or clenching your teeth at night is sleep bruxism. Someone who grinds their teeth is called a bruxor. 2. Bruxism can be mild and not require any treatment, but if it's frequent and severe enough, it could cause chronic headaches, jaw disorders, or tooth damage.
3. If you sleep alone and don't know whether or not you grind your teeth, here are the symptoms you should watch out for: teeth that are worn down or chipped, tooth sensitivity, earaches, headaches, chronic facial pain, chewed tissue on the inside of your cheek, or jaw pain or tightness.
4. Doctors aren't sure what causes sleep bruxism, but it could be related to the changes that happen during sleep cycles. Emotional issues may also be associated, such as anxiety, stress, suppressed anger or frustration, or if the person has an aggressive, competitive, or hyper personality. Bruxism can also be a side effect of some antidepressant medications.
5. There are several ways to treat bruxism. Stress management through counseling may help, if it's determined that emotional tension is the issue. If life is good and stress free and you're still grinding your teeth, your dentist may recommend that your wear a mouth guard at night. It's not beautiful, but it'll protect your teeth from damage.

Thanks for the info, but it just does not sound like me at all. :) I'm not depressed at all if anything I'm too happy. :D Surely there must be other reasons for a person to be grinding their teeth. Its weird really doing things in your sleep you have no control over. I mean pretty soon I'm going to start gnawing my arm off.

Teeth grinding is clinically referred to as bruxism. Simply defined, it is the act of consciously or unconsciously clenching your teeth either during the day or while you sleep. Bruxism is considered both a medical and a dental problem. This is because it affects both the teeth and all of the structure near it, including the head. Teeth grinding usually happens during sleep. Teeth grinding is as common as snoring. However, unlike snoring, teeth grinding sounds are a little on the low side, although it can be as bothersome as well. Doctors believe that it is because of stress. Dentists say that it happens because one's teeth are not properly aligned with each other. There are quite a few reasons why people grind their teeth. To know more about teeth grinding causes, read this article.. Treatment is go to the dentist and don't let this teeth grinding become more serius I mean more complicated

Edited by mra550 (see edit history)

It has nothing to do with depression or anger.I am not entirely sure of the cause; but I know it is bad for your teeth.Grinding them all night, you are going to weaken them down, and ruin them. Go to your dentist and he can make a guard for your mouth that will keep you from grinding them together.Good luck.

I don't think a mouth guard will help. Guys take your lower jaw and move it forward so you have a huge underbite going on. Ok now clench downwards and try moving your teeth to the right. Doesn't feel very good right? :D I've tried to find this on the internet and it would appear as if the only grinding of teeth in your sleep is just like normal. Its kind of hard to explain how I believe I am grinding them. Am I making sense here. :)

yes, we understand. you explained 3 times now. now go talk to your dentist about it and find some way to relieve stress before you go to sleep because i am pretty sure it is stress related. it doesn't matter how you are grinding anyway. everyone will grind differently. the important thing to consider is the safety of your teeth, and whatever is causing the grinding. i gaurantee you that your dentist will figure out how you are grinding your teeth and can make a suggestion or two for you. there ARE solutions. now you have also related this to nightmares. the nightmares probably wont go away until you have come up with a solution that makes you feel safe and secure. so go seek the advice of the professional that can help you most.

Maybe you could try using one of those mouth guard things that boxers wear. They must be
safe to wear during sleep, since I've never heard of a boxer swallowing one during a fight.
At least trying that would be better than long term grinding of the teeth and wearing them down,
losing enamel etc.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Actually, they do make night guards for teeth:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Surely these would help. It would at least relieve stress in knowing that your teeth won't deteriorate more.
That's a first step.

Edited by networker (see edit history)

grinding your teeth during sleep is normal caused by stress or anxiety within your life ,it can cause problems orally ,like sore jaw or damaged teeth ,the chronic grinding can wear your teeth down .grinding your teeth can cause many reactions that after awhile you will have to seek medical help in areas ,loose teeth and sore jaw ,that can cause headaches too .grinding your teeth with sore jaw ,can be medical known towards hearing loss too .When grinding your teeth can affect your jaw ,it can affect the appearance of your face in some long term grinding ,they do have those plastic plates to wear over your teeth during the night to protect any further damages .as far as dreaming your grinding your teeth our subconscious mind ,may make us feel like we are dreaming ,although the grinding teeth is actually so painful at times ,you can feel the pain during dream like sleep .when it doesn't stop ,take time out and ask your dentist ,in regards towards a teeth guard to protect any damages to your teeth .it does help limited in grinding your teeth .

Grinding your teeth is normal.You should purchase those rubber teeth guard, when worn you will grind on those in your sleep.I have that too, it's a horrible thing.it makes your teeth look odd.. which mine look kind of odd.You just need to talk to your dentist, like I did to mine.

grinding your teeth during sleep is normal caused by stress or anxiety within your life ,it can cause problems orally ,like sore jaw or damaged teeth ,the chronic grinding can wear your teeth down .
grinding your teeth can cause many reactions that after awhile you will have to seek medical help in areas ,loose teeth and sore jaw ,that can cause headaches too .

grinding your teeth with sore jaw ,can be medical known towards hearing loss too .

When grinding your teeth can affect your jaw ,it can affect the appearance of your face in some long term grinding ,they do have those plastic plates to wear over your teeth during the night to protect any further damages .

as far as dreaming your grinding your teeth our subconscious mind ,may make us feel like we are dreaming ,although the grinding teeth is actually so painful at times ,you can feel the pain during dream like sleep .

when it doesn't stop ,take time out and ask your dentist ,in regards towards a teeth guard to protect any damages to your teeth .
it does help limited in grinding your teeth .

Ah thats scary I never knew you could lose your hearing just by grinding your teeth. I hope thats not how I'm losing my hearing. Its nothing serious I just sometimes have to ask people to repeat themselves in a some what noisy room. I'll be sure to get one of those teeth guard things. But the thought of trying to sleep with that in my mouth. Meh I guess I will get used to it. Thanks for all the info guys. :)

don't get the generic ones. get the ones where if you smile, the can see some funky inscription or picture. that way, you can also take them out in public and smile intentionally just to get a reaction.....

I'll be sure to get one of those teeth guard things. But the thought of trying to sleep with that in my mouth. Meh I guess I will get used to it. Thanks for all the info guys. :)

Someone I know also grinds their teeth. They went to the dentist about it and he took a mould of the upper teeth. From this mould the dentist then made a rubber/silicon based shield, that looked like a gum shield used by boxers and rubgy players but it was designed to protect the teeth from wearing down through grinding. It worked really well. The person I know wore it every night for about a year until eventually they didn't need it any more. The tooth shield actually stopped the tooth grinding habit completely.I think it is because the subconscious mind is sent the signal that you do not want to grind your teeth any more. The rubber/silicon shield acts as a symbol to the sleeping mind as well as a physical protection, so the when tooth grinding has no effect the mind then decides to stop.