xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Desktop Icons Consume Time

Sorry if this post is in the wrong topic, but I didn't really know where exactly to post it.My problem (if it is a problem, I think it is) is:When I boot up my machine, everything goes as it should, but then, the icons on my desktop go blank and then start showing their normal shape one by one.Not only do I find this annoying, it is also time consuming at bootup time.Is that normal or is there a cure for that problem?I use Windows 7 Ultimate retail on a PC with 2 Gb of RAM, with a 2.20 GHz Intel Celeron Processor and a 1 TB hard disk drive.Is there anyone with a similar experience who could either put my mind at rest or point me into the right direction?Thank you in advance.

first of all make sure your computer is fresh and updated regularly you can use CCleaner to clean waste files its a nice toolalso not temp files make sure your registry is fresh too so I recommend the software of uniblue (I forgot the name sorry) it scansregistry errors and repair your registry, another thing you can do is to edit your startups only choose what program will automatically start when you boot up your computerI don't think the icons will make some slow on computer maybe yes maybe no.. Im not a tech geek my laptophas a low spec but I didn't had any bad experience about desktop icons because I always make my computer fresh another thingis Disk Defragmenting tool, I know windows 7 is fast

Yes I have been using TuneUp Utilities and I would rate it a 10/10. First time I used it I noticed the speed immediately. Yea but make sure your not starting any useless programs by going to Run and using "msconfig". That helped me also. I am currently using Windows 7 with a gig of ram and an ancient video card and I find doing these things makes my computer bearable again. :)

you also using tuneup utilities ? :D anyway will windows 7 run faster with only 1gb of ram? sorry XDI don't know I can run that normally in my laptop I have it in my Desktop :)hey author be careful in using "msconfig" ok? don't delete or stop running the ms drivers I think you can hide themso that you can't touch them only stop run a 3rd party program like anti-virus and any other start up programs

Yea I am currently using a gig of ram for Windows 7 and I am finding it to not be enough. Cannot wait till monday I might give the UPS guy a hug. :) Anyways I find programs like TuneUp Utilities and maybe an upgrade of Ram would do you some good. Jeez I don't remember Icon loading except for a while back with my 256mb ram Windows Xp. That thing was slow. Good luck in getting your problem fixed. I am certain getting rid of all that unnecessary startup crap will speed you up quite a bit.

ok first not only my computer is bad but also my connection this time my computer is not that bad xD I mean the speedis fine for me but I need to save money in order to upgrade it to play more new games and gfx stuffs :)so how much you spend to ups your ram>

OK, thanks for the advice so far.However, I had a look at Uniblue, and I find it to be one of those scams again.I mean the ones that put on in big letters "FREE PROGRAM", then, when you have installed it and run it, after doing a scan it tells you that a number of errors were fixed, and in order to fix all errors you have to register the software and pay for it.This kind of advertising should be banned.

In that case that software is trialware or limited features one. Such softwares are no use as they don't do stuff until you buy it. So either use complete free/open-source or use commercial versions. Trial feature programs are crap and do solve no problems which you want it to solve.

Is that normal or is there a cure for that problem?

It's normal, though annoying, but it's not supposed to happen very often.

I use Windows 7

Oh, wow, it's present there too? I would have figured it got left back with Windows XP. Here's the thing, apparently: your desktop is a folder. Windows, from what i have observed, has a weird way of updating folder data. I've also noticed it updates more than just folder content during this process, which may be the reason for why it takes a while to fully refresh. I run XP (as my secondary operating system) and i do find it annoying and time consuming when i open up a folder, see all the icons and then out of nowhere the file manager acts like as if i hit F5 or something and then all the icons disappear and i'm sitting there for a short time waiting for them all to return. At this point even the information on the left side vanishes.
However, and though this may not be any solution for your desktop problem, i may have figured out a way to skip the waiting, at least for the file manager. If i hit the "Up one folder" button (or the back button), and then hit the back button (or the forward button), that may help avoid most of the waiting. I've grown a bit tired of Windows Explorer and its limitations to where i am very close to building my own cross-platform file manager. Perhaps it is because i don't use Windows as much as i do Linux to bring me to the point of actually getting started on my own file manager. But what will most likely help your case is getting a faster hard drive. I'm not sure if Windows 7 works the hard drive less or more than Windows XP, but i notice the HDD LED on my case blink more when i'm in Windows.