xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

How To Make Sambar ( The South Indian Dish ) especially for people who go to US and miss this badly.

The following describes how to cook sambar for a single person for a single meal. Before reading this i strongly advice you NOT TO go for these cooking business over there which is one of the most stupid thing which you can ever imagine of doing. Did you go to US to sit and cook or check out life over there ? If you have a craze for cooking you should have learnt it before you had gone there, after going there trying to cook is just for some show off which is not that commendable. Eat all those Cheesy and fleshy stuffs available there and enjoy life.Step 1:Take Dhal ( 50 Grams, a quarter of the normal tumbler you ) . To 50 Grams dhal add 3/4 tumbler of water. Peel 10 pieces of small onion and add to this. Then peel and add 5 pieces of garlic. Take Tamarind which is equivalent to half the size of lemon and dilute it in a little water and keep it for 10 minutes. This Liquid tamarind is used only at the last. Step 2:To the above mixture add 100 grams of any vegetable with which you want to make the sambar. ( Carrot, radish or anything).Step 3:Add 2 teaspoon of Sambar powder.Step 4:Keep all the above in a bowl and close the bowl with a lid. Keep it inside the cooker and fill the cooker with required water.Step 5: Lit the cooker ( Keep it in reduced flame ). Check for the steam through that nozzle and then close the nozzle with the weight of the cooker, insert the weight properly. Just dont keep the weight over the nozzle, insert it properly, in new cookers this is kinda tight. Let it boil for approx 10 mins. after the first whistle ( please note here, cooking inside a hotel with cooker is not advisable, the whistle may sound like an alarm and the neighboring room mate might call 911. I am not kidding, seriously.) Now after allowing it to boil for 10 mins after the 1st whistle, Just put off the flame.Step 6:After putting off the flame, DO NOT OPEN THE COOKER LID IMMEDIATELY, if done YOU MAY HAVE YOUR FACE CLEARLY BURNT UP WITH THE HOT STEAM. So leave some time till the steam goes off, for this slowly lift the cooker weight and check whether the steam has gone. After checking whether steam is present or not by lifting the weight of the cooker slowly and releasing it, then open the lid of the cooker.Step 7:Now that you have a bowl of cooked stuffs. Just masticate it with any utensil available. Now add, that liquid tamarind to this mixture and cuddle it. Just add some fried onions and curry leaves ( which is not be available in the US ) to the mixture and heat a little. The so called sambar is ready. Now please remember again, Sitting in the US and eating sambar is one of the thing which you may think is fun, but its really stupid in all sense. Sambar does not keep you away from the cold weather, where as the available non vegetarian stuffs and the cheesy ones does that. So just for self satisfaction do this for few times, then go for the so called US food available. Sitting there in US and if you still go for these foods then it simply means you are not adaptable. So Just leave all the worries when you are there, eat and try out all the food over there for a pleasant stay.

Very nice guide. I might consider trying to make this sometime. I took an intro to culinary course this semester, and I was really excited to learn how to cook for myself. This recipe sounds tasty, I should try it. Is it really complicated, and one mess-up, it is no good? Or is it relatively easy to make?