xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SaraInWasteland

Marya Hornbacher

She has three books out to date. Her first, "Wasted: A Memoir Of Anorexia And Bulimia" was a huge hit when it came out because it told the story of eating disorders unlike any other book that had been published on them, and is probably still one of the best books out there on the topic. Her second, which was a novel, "The Center Of Winter," focused on a family after the father's suicide. I can't say much about that book because I haven't read it, but I intend to do so sometime. Her third and most recent book, "Madness: A Bipolar Life," focuses on her life after "Wasted" came out, which is when she finally got the diagnosis that explained many things about her to herself: rapid-cycle bipolar I disorder. I am currently reading "Madness" and so far, it's a great book. She's also a journalist and poet, and also lectures on eating disorders, mental illness, and writing. Has anyone else ever read her work? What's your opinion?

Not familiar with her work. But I can say that bipolar is a really sad disorder. I have a friend who has had it. Happily enough its only affected him at certain times in his life. He was made fun of a lot in school because he would just start crying out of no reason, even he didn't know why. Sad really.