xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Choice Between : Xbox | Ps | Nintendo

We have new electronics mall open here in city. And looks like there are some consoles for sale. They allow pre-ordering if stock goes down. I was confused which console to purchase as there is limited stock of games and there is lack of wireless gaming clubs. Other than that Looking at the condition here in india, we have limited internet connectivity on most of the places and may not able to take benefit online features of those consoles. Considering that i would like to know what are the pros and cons of each console (Xbox | PS | Nintendo) and what is your personal experience with it. I'm asking for personal experience and pros/cons cause i want to see if it fits my needs looking at the conditions in which i purchase console here in india. Please let me know your views.

Well if your talking about the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii. Well your talking to the right guy. I've played all of them and I'm not some fan boy who's going to scream that theres only one choice and one choice only. Lets start with the only I have the Xbox 360. I wish I could say it was a perfect console, but it falls short of quite a few things. It does not offer free online. Depending on which one you buy ( There are three types Arcade, Pro, and the Elite ) you may have to buy a hard drive separately. I believe the cheapest is eighty dollars. This only applies if you buy the Arcade version. ( 200 U.S. $ ) Also there is the chance of getting the RROD. It is basically a series of error which can cause your system to be unplayable. This errors vary from about a hundred things. If you have you warranty still if this happens your in luck. If you don't your not. It is fixable, but can be difficult depending on what error it is. I'm also unsure of what support they offer for India if you were to send it in due to a RROD Error.Xbox Arcade ( No HD ) - 200$ U.SXbox Pro ( HD Included ) - 250$ U.S ( Not certain of price )Xbox Elite ( Big HD ) - 300$ U.S The Ps3 unlike the Xbox has not had any errors that have effected its users as widely as the Xbox has endured. The Ps3 also has free online! ( I've heard rumors that they will be charging soon, but I say all rumors are just lies until something real actually happens ) There is not a lot to say about the Ps3 mainly because I do not own one. I say its good if you cannot afford to pay fifty dollars a year for online play.Ps3 - 300$ U.S The Wii is on the lighter side of gaming. I recommend for maybe a family with little kids. ( I mean no offense to Wii users ) I really just think its a console for kids. Not many big titles available for it either. Really if your a gamer like me ( Shooter, Action, FPS ) Then this console is not for you. Can't say much about this either :) . Wii - 200$ U.S I really recommend the Xbox 360. The RROD in the newer model consoles ( Still the same type eg. Arcade, but just made differently ) is less likely to happen. The 360 also gets quite a few exclusive titles for it. One of the top of my head is Halo 3. But in the end the choice is up to you. Pick what feels right. Don't just go by what other people say. Good luck and I hope you enjoy whichever one you pick :D

Zagubadu, thanks a lot for the quick review. I'm impressed with Xbox Pro And PS3. I'm into action/FPS games so i found quite lot titles for PS3/Xbox on amazon. I'm thinking in that direction now.In between, I'll look into other trappers personal experience with consoles as well. Thanks again for the post. :)

Now if you'd had asked me 1 year ago the Xbox 360, but we are now one year later and I would say the PS3. Feature wise now I would say it offers more in the way of things I want to use it for (BBC Iplayer in the UK) It features bluray which I will admit I've never used but I'm sure It will be a wise buy for the future. It's come down in price a lot which is good and the choice of games is moving up to reach the Xbox, I think that people may have been right to say the PS3 will have a longer life and I think feature wise the PS3 is now really strongly competing with the 360, same for titles.

You welcome, I'm glad to help. Also glad you won't be picking the Wii. :) Also with the Ps3 you will never have to buy another hard drive again. Its huge. Good luck.

Thanks Kobra for your suggestions. :) I'm taking PS3 as one option as well. @zagubadu, yes i have heard lot of negative review about Wii. So i guess it's much better to remove it from list than regretting later.

Look at what you're going to use it for: limited to no online gaming or related features, first person shooters, and action games. Ask yourself this: Do you want the ability of Blu-Ray playback (PS3)? Are you going to upgrade or have an HDTV (PS3)? Are aesthetics a concern (PS3)? What about exclusive titles to both consoles (like the Halo line-up, Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1 + 2, Killzone 2, etc.)? Will you want to play older games (360, Wii)? What's your budget like? (Figure out the final cost of the console, extra controllers, accessories, and whatnot ahead of time.) The 360 is primarily available in the Elite and Arcade versions, but to save on cash, see if you can find a newer Pro Premium variant with an updated motherboard (if for some reason they offer them, or go online). Otherwise, go for the Elite. The newer releases are not as prone, if even, to the infamous Red Ring of Death since it was a hardware failure/heat issue with the original consoles. Plus, you'll have a warranty to back your console up in the case it does "see" red. (Yeah, it's two weeks without your console, but if you can't survive that, you might have some issues... or are very dependent on it.) The PS3 Slim is at a really, really good selling point now for a Blu-Ray player and gaming console in one for $300. If you're looking for Blu-Ray, this would be a way to go. Both consoles are relatively similar in performance, with the Xbox 360 slightly better than the PS3 (surprisingly enough) in GPU power, but not enough for you to be able to notice without scrutiny. Since you don't care for online features, it's a toss-up between these two for action and first-person shooter play. The Wii is a great console and is at a very good price point, but it may not meet your expectations, depending on what your tastes are like. (The only first-person shooters I can think of right now for the Wii are Call of Duty, The Conduit, and Resident Evil 4.)

XBOX-360-PS2 for more repetitive goodness by none other than the guy who loves to repeat himself on this topic. :) Also, as far as online goes... even though the PSN is free, you get what you pay for: nothing spectacular for nothing. Apparently, people are happy paying $50 a year for a multitude of online features for XBL. It depends on what you are going to use it for, and how well it implements its own features into the games that support online content and multiplayer. As for the Wii (for those other than mahesh2k), don't take it completely out of the list because of some bashing here and there. The Wii seemed to be a novelty and just another toy in the house. It works perfectly fine as a budget-friendly, 480p gaming console... and strictly as a gaming console. Look any further than that and of course it pales in comparison with the entertainment center capabilities of the 360 and the PS3. (It's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ford Mustang. That's just stupid.) I wish I didn't have to sell the Wii, but since the kids weren't old enough to really enjoy it, the 360 was the quasi-HTPC, and that I needed cash to fend off the bill monster, I had to let it go. Give it a try with some good titles (and not the shovelware that's out there) and you'll see that the Wii is worth its price point for good fun and gameplay if you can look past what it's not.

Thanks rayzoredge for the post. The link you've given appears to be broken,as you can't edit it now you can post it if you think i should take a look at it. Once again thanks for the post. :-)

Why'd they take edit out? I just edited a post yesterday. Anyways if you do pick Xbox I really recommend you buy it online. There are crazy deals at Walmart, Gamestop, BestBuy. Where you can get one for 200 dollars. Not the Arcade version but the Pro version with two controller and everything included for just 200. They are refurbished but its a really good deal. Come with the standard warranty and everything. Believe me you have nothing to worry about buying a refurbished system. Heres One I'd maybe try a different one because this is out of stock. You cannot find this deal anywhere in stores.

I'm not sure about the wallmart's service and shipping for the international orders. So i'll check what are the experiences of the people here in my country for wallmart's service for my country. I'll update about this soon.

I would recommend that your choose an Xbox 260, especially if your are into the mainstream shooting and action video games and don't require a Blu-Ray player for a home theater setup. I suppose it also depends on whether you will be playing platform-exclusive games like Halo or MAG, which are not available on other platforms. Personally, I would not recommend the Nintendo Wii even thought it possesses a new motion controller concept because it is more targeted towards family games like sports or family-friendly adventure type games, and does not have a High Definition graphics output.

I would personally pick the xbox360 (if I did not already have one) or the Playstation 3. The Wii is a really bad machine, and it is very boring to play. I also heard about the wii remotes breaking when they first were released, which caused people to *throw* the remote at their new flat screen televisions, sending cracks all around the screen.

Its Christmas morning in the Mann household in Wisconsin, USA. Santa has brought the best present of all - a rare-as-hens-teeth Nintendo Wii - for the children to share and enjoy. In preparation, the family has bought a whopping 70-inch rear projection TV for their front room. As we predicted, this family didnt wait for their replacement straps to arrive

Perfect Wii-shaped hole in 70-inch TV

Wanna see that again in close up? I thought so.

70-inch TV hole - close up 70-inch TV hole - even closer

Karlee Mann (14) sat by while her cousin Bryce (also 14) dominated the initial few games of Wii Sports Tennis. When Bryce finally gave in to her protests, the heady mix of frustration, adrenalin, anticipation and family rivalry proved too much. In an instant the remote slipped from her hands, the weak Gen 1 strap failed to catch the escaping projectile, and the Manns $4500 TV took a clean bullet to the head. Oops.

If I could have bottled the atmosphere in the front room at that moment and shared it with you, no doubt there would be a sick feeling at the bottom of every readers stomach. You can laugh about a broken bulb, a few grazes, even a dent in the wall, but $1150 damage (as mother Dona has been quoted) is not an easy one to swallow. Credit to the family, who collectively shrugged at their misfortune, got out their old 17″ CRT and got straight back to the tennis!

Posted Image

There is also another story about the remote hitting and putting a nice size hole in the door.

Closet door gets the Wii badge of honor*

December 23, 2006 on 1:37 am | In Broken Straps, Furniture Damage | 85 Comments

Patrick is fortunate enough to have a dedicated games/movie room in his house. No ceiling fans and overhead lights, none of the usual living room clutter, perhaps not even a window, so you might think he was set up with the perfect, Wii-friendly pad. If this story tells us anything, its Where theres a Wii, theres a way. (sorry)

This is what happens when Patrick invites his 4 friends round to try his new Wii.

Hole in door #1

The game is Wii Sports Tennis and Greg has the racket. As a newbie, he is getting totally absorbed in the game. With one huge cross court smash the Wiimote leaves Gregs hand, caught only momentarily by the wrist strap (which does the inevitable) and flies full pelt into the closet door.

Youll find a close-up of the damage after the break.

Continue reading Closet door gets the Wii badge of honor*

Here is another story about a woman's ring getting crushed from the wii remote.

Engagement ring gets crushed

December 18, 2006 on 6:03 pm | In Glass Damage | 104 Comments

Ring

This small, blurry cameraphone photo shows Emilys engagement ring, after it got caught between the Wiimote and the kitchen table. Erik, her husband was there to witness another enthusiastic bowler lose themselves in the game and forget they were in the kitchen. (Wii in the kitchen? Why not!)

Erik reports: While playing the Wii Sports bowling game, my wife swung her arm back. Hard. Unfortunately, behind her was our kitchen table. Fortunately, she didnt break anything (bruised and pained, yes, but not broken)but her engagement ring has seen better days. Its being Wiipaired now.

So, what damage to the ring?

The sapphire in the middle chipped and the ring totally bent into an oval

Wow, that must have made it difficult to take off

It was VERY difficult

That sounds like a costly clash - what is your Wiipair bill looking like?

Its estimated to be only 21 dollars. Well see when we get it back

Phew! What could have ranked up there with the TV repair bills of the rich and sweaty turns out to be fairly modest this time round. You got away lightly there Emily. (But these puns are getting Wiily Wiily bad!).

So, for many reasons, I will be steering clear from this one.

This is where the argument comes in. "WELL PS3 HASH DAH BLOO RAAAY!" Lots of my friends have a Ps3 and when I ask them how often the use the BluRay player they say they don't even own any BluRay discs. So seriously consider are you going to pay extra money for movies that look better? I mean seriously how much butter could it possibly look. My parents recently got a HDTV along with HD service and its very hard to see a difference. It looks a bit crisper and the colors are a bit more vibrant. I'm assuming this is the same for BluRay. I know I started out neutral with this. But I'm pretty sure you know what everyones edging at. *Cough Xbox 360. :)

well here we have lot of blue ray discs but not burner for the blue ray disc so the decission is very important here. i'll see what 360 users in my area think about it about the support and all. I have now serious choice between PS and 360. About the stories of wii, lol that hole on tv is one good reason to skip it. lol.

First off, if you get so into a game that you throw your controllers around (because you forgot or it slipped), you might find some comfort in the fact that Nintendo reminds you to put the damn wrist strap on and to make sure that there's plenty of room around you. I don't know about you, but my kitchen, although it's a decent size, isn't a good playing place with the island in the way. Also, you're still going to swing that bat or bowl that ball the same way when comparing a fast motion to a whipping motion. I'm surprised there aren't more stories of kids beating each other up with the Wiimotes... but wait, Nintendo did warn us about ample playing area, right? The technology is Bluetooth... advertised ranges are probably 30 feet, but the real range is probably 6 feet. I know I had some input issues playing at the 6-foot line sitting on the couch, but the Wii isn't exactly always the gaming console that you play traditionally with little more than thumb and finger movement. You'd be making a rather dumb decision in omitting the Wii because you couldn't do something as simple as having playing room and wearing the wrist strap that prevents the "issues" that Wii owners have.Secondly, I got sucked into high definition because it IS better. I don't care whether it's Blu-Ray or it's the dead HD-DVD... high definition is high definition. Is it worth upgrading to? In my opinion, watching movies at home should incorporate a surround sound system and a high definition television because it actually makes watching movies even more fun. I like hearing bullets whiz "past" my head. I like explosions that I can feel (coming from the sub). I like being able to see texture on Optimus Prime's face when he falls in the forest scene (all shot with IMAX cameras). Even watching something like Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure was gratifying, being able to feel like you can touch the animation. It's a crazy upgrade from watching DVDs, depending on what you watch. Is it worth spending money on? If you can appreciate all of what I just described, it's probably worth getting a PS3 to get the gaming console and the Blu-Ray... but I wouldn't make that decision if you can't appreciate the PS3 as a gaming console, since Blu-Ray players are getting less expensive.The 360 might seem like the winner here, then, if you don't go for HD, but you also have to look at what it has to offer and what YOU'RE going to use it for. As we've all pointed out, the 360 and the PS3 have their faults and their strengths. Decide what you're going to use a gaming console/entertainment center medium for and go from there.