xisto Community
Zagubadu?

King Of Xbox Errors Ive got them all hundreds of times

Hello I hear a lot of talk about Xbox 360 and the RROD errors. Well I have some weird stuff going on with my Xbox. But I've fixed it countless times. I've gotten one ring, two rings, three rings, even all four lit up. I've seen like E64 through to like E74. All these problems its impossible I could have them all. How do I fix it when it does it? ( About every two days. ) Towel trick. I would send it in but warranty has been up forever. Yea so I just wrap it in towels and it fixes it over and over again for two days lol. Like clock work I'll have to fix it again and again. Is this normal? And also will my xbox finally just stop working. I hope not I have been lucky so far. So anyone out there with no warranty and nothing left to do. Wrap it in towels turn it on and pray!

Do you know why wrapping it in towels would work? All I can see it doing is making the problem much much worse... The chips inside generate huge amounts of heat, but with the vents covered with towels that hot air has nowhere to go. You'd just heat up the inside of the XBox to a very high temperature (way above the normal operating temperature) which would damage the machine. Any information as to why this works, and what exactly you're doing, would be appreciated.

Do you know why wrapping it in towels would work? All I can see it doing is making the problem much much worse... The chips inside generate huge amounts of heat, but with the vents covered with towels that hot air has nowhere to go. You'd just heat up the inside of the XBox to a very high temperature (way above the normal operating temperature) which would damage the machine. Any information as to why this works, and what exactly you're doing, would be appreciated.

People have a lot of theories why this works. Also its broken I mean like useless. A box. Until I do the towel trick. I know that it could be damaging it but I don't care because its the only way to get it working again. Why the towel trick works? Well some say it re-heats solder that broke do to its cycle of heating and cooling. Others say it "Resets" the chips inside (Gpu, Cpu ) Seriously that what they say. Which I don't really get what "Resets" means in this situation. As to what I'm doing? Well I just take out any game and the hard drive. ( Still lets you open and close the disc drive ) Unplug the A/V plugs. Keep the power one in and turn it on wrap it up in towels. ( I've used two sweatshirts one time while over my friends house, also a blanket one time :) ) Doesn't matter what you use all it is about is the heat.

Wow. I didn't know something like that could solve problems. You have pictures of this set-up?

Which I don't really get what "Resets" means in this situation.

From my experience with ATI (though i have no idea which graphics card brand the Xbox 360 uses), the usual reason for reseting the graphics card is because the GPU stopped responding. But if it is because the GPU stopped responding, you would probably not see anything on the screen; depending on how the card and drivers were designed may determine the system's stability.

Wow. I didn't know something like that could solve problems. You have pictures of this set-up?

From my experience with ATI (though i have no idea which graphics card brand the Xbox 360 uses), the usual reason for reseting the graphics card is because the GPU stopped responding. But if it is because the GPU stopped responding, you would probably not see anything on the screen; depending on how the card and drivers were designed may determine the system's stability.

Yea it was weird I read your post and then shortly after BAM RROD again. Made it to three days :) . Yea heres a picture of what I do its pretty simple.

Posted Image

Yea kind of hard to see whats going on, but its really simple. Thats my xbox covered in my blanket chilling on my gamer chair. ( Well actually not chilling but on fire ). Hard drive is off and the game is out. I usually keep it on for about ten minutes. Then let it cool down. And then it works just like that!

The main theory is indeed that it reflows the solder. Making it flow ever so slightly and in theory, rejoining shoddy connections. I imagine that it could trigger the safety feature of resetting the chips inside and turning it all off to stop it catching fire (which actually im surprised doesnt happen by default, i mean its conceivable that a display xbox in a case could easily overheat and cause damage to the machine itself and the display around it....) Try phoning microsoft and see if they will collect it. They might do if you whine enough :)

Well some say it re-heats solder that broke do to its cycle of heating and cooling.

The melting point of lead solder is about 183oC and I certainly wouldn't want to heat the inside of an XBox up to that temperature :D Also, you'd have no control at all over where the solder went, and presumably having the XBox in its vertical orientation would play havoc if you started melting the connections...

Having researched it on the Internet I've found suggestions ranging from "it heats the processors and melts them back on to the motherboard" to "it resolders all the graphics cards" :)

Too true, i have a little experience with soldering and before the iron is tinned it can take ages for the direct heat a soldering iron to flow the solder, let alone the air temperature within the console. Some people say that it heals tiny, tiny, tiny cracks in the solder which cause problem connections. Im not so sure.If it works then go for it. But microsoft extended the warranty to fix the RROD so phone them first!

Yes I have called them and sent it in. They sent it back saying it was tampered with and that I'm lucky they didn't ban it. I never understood what they meant and called them countless times asking for an explanation. Just to have them say a xbox with that S/N has never been sent in. Microsoft has really bad customer service. (Well at least with my experiences with them). So I will be doing this as long as it will let me. While maybe trying to save up two hundred bucks when it finally explodes :)