xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Diffusr

Bookmarking Social Vs Browser.

Most web browsing software has a bookmarking facility in order to remember websites and/or pages that the user would like to revisit at some point in the future.What are the benefits and drawbacks of browser bookmarking vs. online social bookmarking through websites such as digg, furl (now diigo I think), delicious and stumbleupon?- You have more control over the organisation of your bookmarks on your browser. It is possible to create files, folders, headings, subheadings all of your own design without having to figure out where you will put the link from a preset list of subheadings.- Although bookmarks do not take up much disk space as memory, if the user has a huge number of bookmarks, more memory will be used. This can be circumvented by using an online social bookmarking service, where memory is almost unlimited as far as the individual user is concerned.- Browser bookmarks have a higher privacy rating as they are stored locally whereas the social bookmarking sites are open to public viewing.- Stemming from the previous comment, social bookmarking offers the opportunity for further insight into the subject on display through other users comments on the link submitted. There may also be other related web locations that were previously unknown being brought to light.-Social bookmarking is, by its definition, "social", that is one can make friends, meet aquaintances and other individuals with a common interest. This is almost impossible with pure browser based bookmarking.-Certain social bookmarking requires further installation and learning to use , the browser is far simpler and easier than this.-Social bookmarking allows the storage of metadata about the tags created, aiding in organisation.There are plenty more comparisons but these were just a few.

I have tried a bookmarking website and was disappointed. Mostly because I find them unnecessary. I figure there is one in the actual browser for a reason. I did like how you can look at what other people are bookmarking but I just got tired of looking around. :) And plus Google Chrome practically makes its own bookmarks with the most visited pages page popping up when you make a new tab.