xisto Community
Mermaid711

Spicy Lemon Vegetarian Ramen Noodles. Yummy :]

So I was reading the ingredients on the ramen flavor packet and appearently powdered (insert animal here) is in them. And I find that rather disturbing.So instead of eating powdered animal, why not try this?You will need:A package of ramen (doesn't matter what flavor, you won't be using the packet)One lemon (juiced)A pinch of salt1/4 of a teaspoon of garlic salt1 teaspoon of parsleyA pinch of Rosemary2 teaspoons of Chili poder1/2 a teaspoon of dillA teaspoon of your favorite extra spicy thai hotsauce (I like Sriracha)1/2 teaspoon of seasoning saltLess that 1/4 of a cup of waterFeel free to add more or less of each spice. This is just what I like to use.Instructions:Boil the ramen. When finished, just move the unflavored ramen into a bowl. In the pot, mix the other above listed ingredients (with the exception of the hotsauce) and stir well. Let it boil for a bit, and when the mixture turns a red-ish brown-ish color, take it off the heat. Add the mixture to the ramen and then add the hot sauce. Stir well.If you would like, you can add some immitation chicken or beef, I personally like to add cucumbers and some other veggies instead.Comments?

I don't know which brand, but I read it somewhere that the ramen (the noodle) itself is fried with animal fat (lard) to give an extra flavor. So no matter what you do, ramen is not 100% vegetarian. It's not even kosher.Otherwise, your recipe looks great! I've always loved the soup portion of ramen but lately they were getting way too salty. And it feels like it's getting greasier. This would be a great alternative to using the included sauce packet.You know, there's a book for 101 Ways to eat Macaroni and Cheese. Do you suppose there is 101 ways of making ramen noodle? And guess what? There is. :)

Actually, if you go to Whole Foods or North Central Market (or any big food store really, I just prefer these two), you can find vegetarian and vegan ramens.Of course if you have more time you can cook real noodles. But I'm 15 and always on the go.

the way I like ramen noodles is to cook the noodles as per directions above adding some chopped veggies, ie: broccoli, onion, mushroomand near the last 30 seconds, crack an egg into the middle of the pot, stirring enough to just break the yoke. add a spash of soya sauce, possibly a drip of tobasco or whatever you like. give it another light stir and the egg should turn white when cooked.yummy.

crack an egg into the middle of the pot, stirring enough to just break the yoke.

YES! You know how to eat your ramen!

I do enjoy scallions now and then. It gives that extra umph with egg.

Okay, okay. Egg is not vegetarian so sorry for hijacking the thread. But all this talk of ramen got me really hungry at this late night. I think I'll head over to the stove and see what king of damage I can do... all I need is some spam :) ha ha ha.

And I didn't know there were special veg/vegan ramen noodles. I'll have to pay closer attention next time at the supermarket.

Egg is not vegetarian

That may depend on the vegetarian. Yeah, the ones who avoid all animal products would not consider it, but aren't most noodles made with eggs anyway? You usually see chefs make a bowl of white flour on the table and break an egg on top of it and mix it from there, then place the mixing into some machine that stretches out the mix, then you just let it dry. There are some spinach spaghetti out there (which is pretty good, but a bit expensive) which may not contain any egg ingredients, but i haven't thoroughly checked the ingredients.