xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

It's About Time Google Stopped Censoring Search Results In China

Google finally made a decision today and most would say that it is about time. Google will no longer censor search results on the Chinese version of Google--google.cn. Apparently they are serious about it, even if it ends in the shut down of Google.cn.

From the Official Google Blog:

We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.

The part of Google's motivation comes from recent complaints by at least 20 other big corporations over the weeks. They have uncovered by launching their own attacks on Google and found enough evidences that showed limitations on free speech and evidence gathered by their surveillance.

I hope more companies would learn from Google's rise with first and hard decision to take a government's bulling aside, and do what is right for a change.

Sadly though, the moment Google made this move, China will limit the companies trying to get in country even more. China wants a tight control and odds are google and everything google related will be on the ban list.

Posted Image

It's as if the citizens of China are already mourning at Google's fate. Their mourning for google.cn's death has brought fourth memorials at Google's logo.

Can you imagine long ago a lonely man stood before bunch of tanks blocking their path? Will Google stand before the government of China and be brave like the man? Back then it was a man verses machine. Now, we're faced with ideology verses a government. Will free speech finally win over the old way, old government and force people to rethink about the way we live?

all i can say is WOW. i'm glad google stepped up to the plate. it has to be costing them millions. what is this, principles over money? what does billy have to say about all this?

Like anwii... WOW. Of course, I didn't really know about Google censoring searches in China though. But I mean, it's a good thing for Google, as Google will lose their reputations if those complaints keep coming in. Why in the world are they censoring stuff anyway? I don't understand the Chinese government. It's lucky I don't live in China.Seriously, Google did the right thing, and the millions were worth it. I mean, Google's reputation was at stake as well. It's not only money. By the way, if it's only Google.cn filtering, then why doesn't China people use Google.com.au or Google.com.us or something like that? I don't understand. Anyway. China is just distorting the thing that you know... well, the whole communism thing. The we are one thing and we go together thing. The people decide together, and they share together. It's a good concept, but now, China is just making it so that it's like the heirachy thing or something like that instead.The people don't get a say on what they want. I mean, Communism is just like democracy, but there's private companies and people share everything. If people don't get to say what they want, then it's totalitarian. The government rules everything the way they want it to.

It is time for China to stamp their authority to prove that no companies should have any influences on the governing of any nations. While I do not support communist and dictatorship, I support China in this instance.

"We launched Google.cn in January 2006 in the belief that the benefits of increased access to information for people in China and a more open Internet outweighed our discomfort in agreeing to censor some results,"

Anyone with an IQ over 50 can see the problem with "increased access to information" and "agreeing to censor some results" being used in the same sentence. Google's just another doublespeaking pr-spinning publically traded company that's ultimately going to do whatever is best for its shareholders now.

I find this story to be pretty Ironic considering Google has been activley censoring searches for Americans on one of the most serious issues to come to light in recent days, "Climategate".

It seems that Google has been systematically going through the search results and are providing less and less options.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I love the comparison of these two pages.

https://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web%cbd01&hl=en

https://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web%1&hl=en%23all

The first link shows the official "Best Answer" which 11 of 79 people found helpfull, but when you expand all of the comments you see the real story. Notice how all of the other posts were more helpfull, approximately 19 of 20 people.

"Posted by ComplexNumbers at 1/12/2010 4:26 p.m.

Google should be commended for standing up for freedom and liberty (the two commodities in such short supply these days) and not bowing to the "profit" motive that has so damaged the cause of human rights in the last twenty years since Ronald Reagan made it a religion."

In response to this quote I liked the one persons comment about Googles 10 corporate philosophies:

6. You can make money without doing evil.

Our users trust our objectivity and no short-term gain could ever justify breaching that trust.

Let's not forget that both of the founders of Google have invested HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of Dollars on "Green Technology Companies". Let's also remember that Al Gore used to be a special consultant to Google, and owns a large portion of their stock. Censoring information about scientific fraud, to push an agenda that will make you even more insanely rich, but has resulted in millions of people dieing of hunger is evil.

They do not care that they caused hunger and kill people by causing millions of acres of farm land to be removed from food production to grow bio fuels because hey, who cares if the information/theory is correct, they are environmentalists and they believe all people are evil.

Needless to say, after reading about Google's actions on this mater I will never willingly use their search engine again.