xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

This Is My Last Thread, Possibly Final Post. The last straw was the removal of edit function.

Well trappers. I regret to inform you all that I can't post on a forum that doesn't allow me to edit my posts any time I wish and I've become aware that posts from other members have been disappearing, and no one's talking. I can't help but think my stay here is no longer welcome by Admin or staff, so I'm not likely to come back unless things do a major turn-around. I'd like to thank those moderators who have been friendly and helpful to me in the past, and to the others, well, don't quit your day jobs. :) Mike, good luck with your degree. I hope you find yourself making a living doing what makes you smile.Jim, I'll be seeing you around the corner. Keep up the good Mod work and don't sweat the pettyness.Shree, I hope things continue to work out for you. Stay inside, away from that pollution and don't work so much all the time. It's not worth it if you can't have fun once in a while. And thanks for accommodating my requests over the years.The rest of the people here, take good care of that which matters most to you.WM :D

i have to admit, i had the same thoughts of leaving after the edit feature was taken away. i actually gave it some hard drawn out thought because i am 100% against it even after understanding the flip side in why it was the edit feature was taken away.

my reasons were selfish. trap has been so good to me in the past. gave me a lot and i wasn't going to repay them by leaving. life is full of things we don't like but it doesn't mean we have to walk away from everything we don't like or we'd always be walking away...and that is no way to live, and i am not just talking about trap.

so i apologize for what i am about to say if you don't see the hidden meaning. if you are to leave because of an edit feature issue, then maybe trap didn't need you here to begin with.

i'm a little biased in my thinking because i see trap as more than just a post to host or just another forum. if others had the same intentions of leaving for the same reasons you hold, then trap would no longer exist. based on you're goodbyes, i think maybe trap had given you something more than just an edit feature too.

whether opa or the mods or the users here realize it or not yet, i see the beginning of a transition phase for trap. everyone has their own comfort levels and very few like change. so when we are confronted with small changes in life, we have to ask ourselves where our loyalties lie. if i was playing in a championship game and was substituted out for the rest of the game, i wouldn't like it. i wouldn't walk to the locker room to undress and go home either. i would sit on the sidlines, supporting my team knowing there is something greater than my own selfishness.

i hope you reconsider because i don't think any changes no or future changes should be taken personal or someone left with a feeling that they aren't wanted around because even if you may feel it, it just ain't true.

again, i had some serious thoughts of leaving myself after the decision was handed down....but i have made the decision to stick with trap during the good and the bad....and the ugly and although i have something to offer others here, others have something to offer me. there will always be two sides to a coin. some people are to stubborn or lazy to know that and to turn the coin over as proof of it.

i think out of all the regulars here, i needed the edit feature the most....especially for my bad grammer and misspellings...but mainly because i have so much going on in my little head, that my posts really do need the most editing. i can live with it as long as trap can live with some of my double posts which was always frowned upon in the past. if i have something to say, i am going to say it. rules or no rules. at least i said it.

i've seen people come and go. normally, the people who go have lives that take them away from trap as there is only so much time during a day. i have see a select few leave on principle. you are different than those who left on principle and didn't give trap a chance. you've been here a while so i would think that you would be able to see beyond an edit feature.

nobody is forcing you to leave, you leave on your own accord....and by the sad face at the end of your "last post", it makes me wonder what you are really leaving behind.....and i would guess you already know the answer to that....that's why you didn't leave your second to last post as your "last post"....

i hope you reconsider....

Well trappers. I regret to inform you all that I can't post on a forum that doesn't allow me to edit my posts any time I wish and I've become aware that posts from other members have been disappearing, and no one's talking. I can't help but think my stay here is no longer welcome by Admin or staff, so I'm not likely to come back unless things do a major turn-around. I'd like to thank those moderators who have been friendly and helpful to me in the past, and to the others, well, don't quit your day jobs. :)
Mike, good luck with your degree. I hope you find yourself making a living doing what makes you smile.

Jim, I'll be seeing you around the corner. Keep up the good Mod work and don't sweat the pettyness.

Shree, I hope things continue to work out for you. Stay inside, away from that pollution and don't work so much all the time. It's not worth it if you can't have fun once in a while. And thanks for accommodating my requests over the years.

The rest of the people here, take good care of that which matters most to you.

WM

:D

Watermonkey,Please don't think that you are not welcomed here. Your contribution and presence surely made a difference in our forum. Xisto has grown in a way that every activity from each member has made the difference--whether it's visible or hidden.I wish you the best. The next forum place you decide to make your home will be lucky to have you as their member.

Well I see that the feature of editing is something very useful. But you can also do without this. I guess that that are members with lots of posts, and if they are given the ability to edit and delete their posts, this forum should loose lots of its visitors and maybe loose power. I think all forums do this.

Ouch! :) It's really not that bad. I have never needed to edit any of my posts. Just spell check it using firefox, if you are worried about spelling. But, really after about 3 years, your quitting now?

Dam, WM, your leaving!? But..but, but..bah crap!Ah, I wish you all the luck mate, and I hope you consider coming back soon. I must admit, your quality of posting is very good, and will miss you so much. :)

Why? Why you? I cannot imagine a life without you!!! PLEASE!!! Please, don't leave!!! :) It is so sad to see such a long membered, loyal to Xisto person go, and I mean, it's only the edit thing!!! I happens to anyone! Why do you have to go just for that? I don't understand. I believe that it IS a very very bad inconvenience, but seriously, it is nothing more than that. I makes my heart break to know that a loyal member that came to Xisto three years ago is now leaving us. Please don't go!!! I don't understand why the edit thing means so much to you!!!! :D I am so sad now. Xisto has just lost one very valuable member. All the new members coming here are all spammers and all that. Grrr. Hopefully Xisto won't become a spamming place for spammer. :(

I have to say that I have noticed these things too. The activity isn't like in the old days, and spammers seem to bite off T17 one by one... little bits at every time...

And now we can't edit our posts. This cuts me really deep(do a quick search, I bet most of my long posts have been edited at least once or twice) even tho I haven't been saying anything. Stupid Spammers!

The whole thing isn't working... what kind of impression does a forum with "a great community ready to help you anytime" give when you find out the edit feature isn't available after 10 minutes?

Apart from that, I see what you've written in the description:

The last straw was the removal of "edit" function.

So there has been other things bothering you? What? I know the mods are evil, but that can't be the case?

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Pffft. It's the EVIL Mods I actually LIKE! :)

Here's the thing. Even if I stay around, and that's a big IF, unless I'm turned blue so I can edit my own posts, I'm not going to contribute to the intellectual value of this site any more. When I signed on three years ago, I was never under any impression that once my posts were made, they'd no longer be under my control or ownership. This web site is worth around $3M USD according to some web site my significant other was looking at the other day. I'd edit this later to correct that with the actual name of the website, but I won't be able to. But the point is, the worth of the site is dependent upon the intellectual contributions of its members who, in return, receive hosting credit and other rewards. This is all fine and dandy, but I'm not working for some evil corporation under a contract that says anything I create becomes the property of the company. Further, not being hosted, I'm not looking for the credit that others look for. Seems like I should be able to transfer my rewards to someone who is, but that's another issue for another thread. I'm probably going to start a blog somewhere or something where I can build up the value of my own site. So much to say, so little time...

i have a similar issue that i canot be in agreement on either. i never really minded the creative commons license when it was implimented....although i do feel it's more appropriate for someone who owned their own site and not speak for the whole user base. BUT! when they took away the edit feature(sorry, 10 minutes doesn't cut it)....that with the combination of the ccl is very disturbing to me. THAT was when i had to give some serious thought to staying or leaving because like i said before, i am 100% against it. i am not here to promote or help promote other peoples websites. once a post is published, it's public and shared information anyway. whatever....

i am not going to let it bother me too much since it's not really directly hurting me. it's just the principle of the whole situation. but i have chosen to stay despite.

i have been a long time internet user for 25 years and for most of this internet life, i was never able to edit CRAP in the past from other sites or bbs's etc. i was also always under the impression that one you post something on a site you do not own or control, you automatically give up some of your copyright rights willingly. there was debates about when a user left a site and wanted all his information posted, deleted. it doesn't work that way. this is why users need to be responsible and know the laws when they post anything publically....ccl or no ccl. BUT, trap, i believe is exceeding authority to give ccl to anyones copywrites. at least it's implied they are doing this. i don't think this is legal....so with that and the combination of getting rid of the edit feature, i had to do some long hard thinking :D

i also don't think imlimenting certain changes will help promote trap....but... if people aren't in agreement with the changes like me, they have every right to leave and not post. it's unfortuate for trap because i am in agreement with ski when he said we are losing a valuable poster. i cannot think of one thing that these small changes will help trap in the long run, but i CAN see how they can hurt trap.

mycents were never an influence to my decision to stay since i cannot be bought off. like i said....i have things i would like to offer and the members and staff have already offered me alot. so it's the combination of sharing and giving and caring i i think personally outweighs the changes i am in disagreement on. that's just me. some people wont have that same thinking....

Pffft. It's the EVIL Mods I actually LIKE! :)

Here's the thing. Even if I stay around, and that's a big IF, unless I'm turned blue so I can edit my own posts, I'm not going to contribute to the intellectual value of this site any more. When I signed on three years ago, I was never under any impression that once my posts were made, they'd no longer be under my control or ownership. This web site is worth around $3M USD according to some web site my significant other was looking at the other day. I'd edit this later to correct that with the actual name of the website, but I won't be able to. But the point is, the worth of the site is dependent upon the intellectual contributions of its members who, in return, receive hosting credit and other rewards. This is all fine and dandy, but I'm not working for some evil corporation under a contract that says anything I create becomes the property of the company. Further, not being hosted, I'm not looking for the credit that others look for. Seems like I should be able to transfer my rewards to someone who is, but that's another issue for another thread. I'm probably going to start a blog somewhere or something where I can build up the value of my own site. So much to say, so little time...

I also don't like the thing that I can't edit my post, but I guess I need to get used to it, also it seems that in those 10 minutes I'm able to edit only once..But at least it's good that from 2 minutes, the time limit was moved to 10 minutes. This feature as we all know was removed due to spammers/cheaters wanting to get more myCents.. :)

Actually, this sucks a lot now. If I am going to really go with the change of domain on my blog and everything that anwii recommends... then seriously, this is a big problem for me. I won't be able to edit all the backlinks that I have here on Xisto, merely because I cannot edit any of my posts at all. :DUnless I can get a mod to change it for me instead though. :)

maybe they can get rid of all your spam while they're at it :D

seriously though.....you had your blog a lot longer that when the edit feature was changed so that's your own fault if there was any related content that you wanted to insert a relative link.

that's a pretty cheesy reason to be upset. you have your whole future ahead of you. i'm sure not editing anything from the little time you've been here wont be that big of a deal for ya and your future success....sheeeeeesh!

Actually, this sucks a lot now. If I am going to really go with the change of domain on my blog and everything that anwii recommends... then seriously, this is a big problem for me. I won't be able to edit all the backlinks that I have here on Xisto, merely because I cannot edit any of my posts at all. :(
Unless I can get a mod to change it for me instead though. :)
Nameless_

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

:/

rawrr.....
You make rathe sad :D

I understand what you're saying about the post belonging to you but stick around! I'm sure this is just temporary, they might go with my idea, which is the best thing they can do :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simple solution.

Ok so your using that mod I mentioned earlier correct? ok the best way is to edit the user groups. make a new default group for new members and edit the permissions for that mod to affect that group. then in that group set it to promote the member after they reach maybe... 150 posts. simple! new members with less then the posts defined will not be able to edit after the time set.