xisto Community
Mermaid711

A Good Vegetarian Meal.

Okay, so for my New Year's resolution, I've decided to make the transition into going vegetarian (not vegan-there is a difference)So I discovered these at my local grocerie store: Morning Star Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger PattiesAnd I decided to give them a whirl.So instead of fixing it up old school I decided to make quesadillas with it (or however you spell it, I'm not hispanic haha.)So you will need:1 8 inch whole wheat (or any kind you like) tortilla1 cooked Black Bean Patty (I just microwave mine-35 seconds on each side)1/4 a cup of mozzerella cheezeAbout a teaspoon of your favorite mexican hot sauce (I use Tapatio or Chalula)1/8-1/4 cup of bagged spinachNon-stick cooking sprayNow before you begin I highly recommend that you wash of the spinach very well before cooking. I forgot to and got a nasty case of food poisoning. But as long as you give it a good rinse in luke-warm water you should be okay. :)Anyway, nuke the tortilla in the microwave for about 10 seconds to make it easier to bend without breaking. Put down half the cheese on HALF the tortilla (you'll be folding it over), HALF the spinach, and then tear the black bean burger patty in to small bits and arrange it on the tortilla. Then lay down the other half of the spinach, and then the other half of the cheese, and fold the tortilla over.Spray a pan really well with non-stick cooking spray and let it heat on the stove. When you have assembled the quesadilla, put it down and let it heat for about 30-45 seconds, and then flip. Continue this until the tortilla has turned a nice brown-ish color, or until the cheese has melted.This is really yummy and if you have people in your house who have an adversion to veggies, this is a good way to get them eating beans, spinach, corn and a few other veggies. Each quesadilla serves one and is a great dish for the beginner vegetarian.I'm sure vegan additions of this can be made, however due to past health problems of mine I probably should not go vegan.Try it and tell me what you think!

Black bean burger? That sounds like some hardcore vegetarian food there, never saw it before. I like veggies, I usually avoid veggies that try to be meat but I guess I'll try anything once. The recipe sounds pretty good though, I love quesa..quasa...queezie..quasi-dillio..whatever. Is that hot sauce you like really spicy? I like really hot sauce on my mexican food. I'm feeling too lazy to actually make this myself.. I don't have any spinach or 'black bean burgers' to make it. Too bad you couldn't just attach one of your quasiwotzits here.. I wish technology would advance faster. You probably know more vegeterian foods than I do, but when I'm feeling 'vegetarian', I make a lot of soups, lentil soup, pea soup, vegetable soup, tomato soup. I also love a barbecued Portobello mushroom burger, Mmm, mmm!

Try looking in your local grocerie store. I know Wal-Mart sells them, but I despise going into the freezer section at wal-mart, so disorganized lol.And the hot sauce I use is probably the mexican equivilant to Louisiana hot sauce.As for the taste, I'm not big on imatation meat, but these patties are yummy. I like them because they are a good mix of black beans, corn and some spices. :) The only bad thing is they can be kinda greasy, so I just pat mine down with a paper towel after I microwave them.I plan on posting more recipes later...what do you think?

I'll bet you could do the same thing with Pita bread. Cut the pita in half and stuff the goodies inside.

I plan on posting more recipes later...what do you think?

Love to see some more good recipes from you.