xisto Community
Echo_of_thunder

Dealing With It How are you dealing with the cold

Well The USA is in the mist of the worst cold spell in the last 25 years now. Freezing temps all the way into Florida, Even Cozumel Mexico has reported below normal Temperatures this week. Snow in places that have not seen any in quite a while. Dallas Texas even reported a white Christmas this year Tulsa Oklahoma even had 14.1 inches of snow in one day. So much for Global Warming huh?Even much colder temps have been reported around the world too, not just here in the USA. Snow in the UK as well. This got me to thinking of everyone here. How are you all dealing with this winter? Myself here in New Jersey USA it really has not been as bad as in the middle of our country or in the south where they are not used to it. Back in Dec we had one big snow storm of over 2 feet. Dec 21st 2009 and been cold every since. Just staying inside as much as we can here. So what about you all? How are you staying warm and doing to keep busy?

"Global Warming" is a misnomer. "Climate Change is the correct word. It has to do with the change in the atmosphere, pollution, and other impacts on the physical environment caused by Man's interaction with the Earth's natural systems. Like a pot of water on a stove, it takes some time to get it boiling, but once it does, even if you turn the heat off, the boiling continues. For one thing, we need to reduce (if not stop) using Hydro-carbon based fuels and become more aware of our impact on the earth's natural systems. The energy we burn ends up with consequences. Weird weather patterns is just the tip of the iceberg. (pardon the pun)

four words:GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL!K now srsnessJust got some snow earlier this morning, less than an inch here in Richmond Virginia.A couple weeks ago we got 11 inches for snow, so many cars in ditches! This state is never prepared for snow.

i am in missouri. it keeps snowing here. the most i have seen since i moved down here from california. tomorrow, the high will be about 8 degrees, with a low of about -8 degrees. what am i doing about it? i am staying inside. so is my dog. i have to laugh everytime i let him out to go to the bathroom though. watching him try to do his business in 10 inches of snow is pretty funny.this is definately the worst winter i have experienced here my own self since i moved down here. my apartment is VERY well insulated so i am cozy keeping the thermastat on medium. it's lightly snowing right now as i write this, but after the weekend, it's supposed to get back up to the mid 30's. can't wait! i need to do some grocery shopping and have to travel 30 miles to do it :) i live in a very small town of about 300 polulation.thank god my truck still starts. i was getting worried because i didn't put any antifreeze in heheheh.i was actually loving the snow at first because the first true snowfall happened on christmas. now i'm not really liking it or the cold all that much. i like to sit outside in one of my two chairs outside the apartment to drink coffee an enjoy the nature....but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. i have to feel kinda lucky though to say the least because i know it has to be a lot worse up north. if i had to stress about going to work everyday, i probably woulda already killed myself haha....so thank god for the internet.i drank all my rum. now all i have left is miller. not a very good winter drink. the amazing thing is....the mail kept coming.....wow!

For one thing, we need to reduce (if not stop) using Hydro-carbon based fuelsPosted Image and become more aware of our impact on the earth's natural systems

I'm a 'Man made climate-change' sceptic; but I'm aware of the problems we face in terms of fuel shortages and pollution.

People always talk about 'damaging' the earth, but in reality it will be fine. The earth won't die, or the animals; it'll be us- the least adaptable creatures on the planet.

I'm always horrified by governments trying to switch to fuel efficient lighting when swathes of the rainforest are being cut down by loggers- who face no reprimands. It is proven, without a doubt, that 20% of our oxygen is sourced from the Amazon rainforest.

Another fear in terms of fuel, is the rise of car usage in Asian countries. Their demand for automotive transport is quickly rising, and if the same percentage of the population of China and India drove cars as in the USA- oil supplies would be exhausted within three hours.

So yes, while I do not believe humans have a big enough impact on the climate to warrant the fuel-effiency histeria, our actions are removing valuable resources from us. I personally don't care about future generations (because I'm a feckless teenager), but we're at risk of impacting our current population.

Back on topic:

There's always some sort of panic in British cities whenever it snows. While Northamptonshire is experiencing conditions of down to -20C (just above the temperature of the South Pole), London is just at freezing point and thousands of us are buying supplies and preparing for some sort of nuclear fallout.

It's fine. The only problem I've encountered so far is the icy pavements. While most of the roads have been liberally sprayed with salt (and rightly so), the pedestrian walkways are dangerously slippery. I fell over and twisted my arm yesterday- not because I am a dunce, but because of a particularly sneaky piece of ice: hidden underneath a layer of snow- and this morning, I had to help a woman up after she whammed against the pavement.

I've got pretty Scandinavian genes, so I'm not suffering too badly- but my shoes are crap for this kind of weather..

Are we getting same amount of snow as we were getting 30 years before, Many parts of India dont get rains for 52 days which have been reduced to 24 days. India experienced this April a temperature that was 15 degree higher than average of last decades. There are hardly winter clothing required. In Japan the snow in Toyama as not as intense as it used to be . In Giessen Germany the snow is not the same. Rains which used to come for round the year in 1977 from my personal experience dont come for more than three months. Rivers are drying. Ponds have gone. We have to be prepared! Everyone must do something.