xisto Community
networker

The Nhl And The Shootout Not really part of a team sport?

What does anybody think of the shootout in the NHL? Some say that it shouldn't be part of the game because it's not really a 'team' oriented process in a team oriented game. Myself, I'm fine with the 5minute overtime during regular season,but really, could do without the shootout. I could see the use of it during the playoffs, IF, the NHL were a low scoring game like soccer and hadone game playoffs instead of the seven game series that we have. Fact is we don't have those things,so I wouldn't miss the shoot out.

The shootout was added by the league because of the dispute of the tie. Listen, I know soccer ends in a tie all the time, but in the USA people have a voice that league executives actually listen to sometimes. People were tired of paying top dollar to see a hockey game only to leave the arena without a definitive winner. The minor leagues, specifically the ECHL, had implemented the shootout years prior to the NHL adding it to their league. The only difference being the ECHL ended it's ties with a 5 round shootout, whereas the NHL only uses a 3 round shootout, with both leagues obviously playing a 5 minute overtime before the shootout.People have had mixed reveiws about the shooutout, and it remains a controversial and talked about topic even today. Some people would love to revert simply to an overtime with no shootout, while others enjoy the star-packed finish to a tied up game.So what's my opinion?...I love the shootout. Growing up going to ECHL games, I've watched the shootout years before it came to the NHL. It's awesome. The nerves get to you, and the adrenaline pumps. It is simply the most exciting part of the game, barring a penalty shot. Its superstar one on one with the goaltender, its like watching 6 breakaways back to back to back! I will always support the shootout and I'm extremely hopeful that the dumb Gary Bettman never takes it away.

When they first introduced the shootout in the NHL many people seemed against it but manyhave since warmed up to it. I guess I'm not as drastically against it as I was. It makes sense thatyou'd like it since you followed the ECHL. It's interesting that it took a tier 2 professionalleague to innovate, it happens though, and the NHL follows the example.

The shoot out only got implemented so Mr Shortypants Bettman could try to sell the game to US television. It creates a more predictable scheduling time.Real Hockey goes into real overtime. Play until someone wins the game.I wish Bettman would go back to where he came from. The jerk is ruining a perfectly good sport. Hockey in Florida? and Arizona? Get real... He is just sucking up to the American Owners. Why not Hamilton or Winnipeg? Atlantic Canada? Saskatoon? Quebec City? ... because Bettman can't find them on a map... the twerp!

I wish Bettman would go back to where he came from. The jerk is ruining a perfectly good sport. Hockey in Florida? and Arizona? Get real... He is just sucking up to the American Owners. Why not Hamilton or Winnipeg? Atlantic Canada? Saskatoon? Quebec City? ... because Bettman can't find them on a map... the twerp!

Couldn't of said it better. That's absolutely true. Bettman should go back to his stupid little NBA, and quit Americanizing a sport that doesn't need Americanizing. As the song goes :
I don't need your ghetto scenes
I don't need your war machines
You're no good for me!
I'm no good for you!

Another thing, who decided that Toronto and Detroit should only play each other twice out of every three years?
Bettman!
That was a fierce rivalry that Bettman has destroyed. Don't reconfigure the league for expansion teams at the
expense of destroying
the old rivalries. Let new teams find their own rivalries.
Can you imagine in the NFL, if they say broke up the Green bay/Chicago rivalry? It wouldn't happen.

Gary Bettman is a jerk.
Edited by networker (see edit history)