xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alapidus

Where Did You Learn Php?

I am currently learning from 2 sources:

1. PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson - the only PHP book in my library

and

2. http://www.hackingwithphp.com/ - the best PHP tutorial I have ever seen (there's a newer version of it at /phpbook, but i like the first version better)

I also began learning at http://php.net/ but the other sources are better.

How about you? Where did you learn PHP?

From myself. I copied and pasted codes and snippets and worked it out...still got some way to go :DPHP Bible...also

I really don't know... I tried to learn ASP with eleven years old, but latelly I begin on PHP.. but I didn't know how to test my scripts, but IIS was easist... but when I does it, with 12 years old I liked more than ASP, I've downloaded loads of codes and tutorials (tutorials did never helped me) and requesting for help on mIRC when I got some problem, and now, with 14 years old I've 2 years of experience programing in PHP :D try to download simple codes to learn with then (but don't just copy, or you'll not learn nothing...)

I started learning some ssmall stuff from snippets. But now I have PHP5-Fast&Easy Web Development, By: Julie Meloni. Its really neat and its very very easy to follow. :D

I think I learned PHP by just googling for 'PHP tutorial' and looking at the php.net specs. I started out doing very simple things, just to learn a bit how PHP worked and then went through progressivly more complex tutorials.I don't think php.net is that good for learning, but it's really handy once you know some PHP, and want to know how to use a certain function.

I don't really learn it I kind of make it up as I go.I mean I don't even know the basics...well I know like TINY and then I use that to make something up and it then comes up as errors and then the errors help me to correct it..Anyways I don't really use it that much but when I do i force my self to know it... you get me?I ain't going on some friggin website and reading about it. thats a waste of time

I have a PHP book (SAMS Teach Yourself in 24 hours), but I've barely cracked it. Everything I know about PHP is from using and looking at open source coding (mostly phpBB forums and mods). Actually, if you can stand reading through it, you can figure out what a lot of commands do and teach yourself just by looking at some open source. I can't really write much blind yet, but I can look at code and sort of understand what it does. (And I can write code if I have references. I just don't have many commands memorized yet.)

I've learned it by myself, starting with expanding a normal phpBB forum with mods and hacks, made many errors and reinstall it all many times.Did some reading through .php files and .tpl files and found a language in it not just a script :D the hardest thing was figuring out the syntaxes and algorythms in it, because all of these files work together as 1 :D When 1 file (especially php's) gets changed the tpl's wont work good too and vice versa...Sigh I wich I only sticked to HTML

I Learn PHP In PHP manual Help :P Its Fan but I HAte Read booooooooksYou can search in google and find many pdf book about PHP programmingand many forum for Q&A and many Script WebSite For Samples ;)

When I first started making my site I didn't know PHP, hell I didn't even know HTML. I used Front Page >_> yeahh.... So later I wanted to make my website private so I searched for a way to add a password to it. I found a site with Javascript scripts and tried one after another on my site. Later I realised Javascript wasn't the answer, some people have Javascript disabled and it's too easy to bypass anyway. So I researched some more. There was this option in my cPanel that made it so it protected a folder and I could add users with passwords so only they can access it. That was called .htaccess so I used it for a while.But then I really wanted to learn how other sites did it with all their users and stuff. A site I visited used ASP for their message boards so I decided to learn ASP. I was having a really hard time with this programin language, not many hosts had it and not a lot of people could help me with it. I found out that most people and hosts use PHP, they said it was the leading hosting language. So I switched to PHP, it's really great. About 3 months later even the message boards that used ASP switched to PHP.So I searched google to find some scripts that will make my site private and only allow a few users. Now this is where I learn more PHP, I edit the scripts to fit my situation and try it out. I learn a lot and soon add and edit a lot of scripts like a poll script. Later I update my whole site to MySQL. It was faster and easier to handle, easier to add and edit users and all that junk.So I guess the best way to learn your PHPs is to go open a PHP file, edit it, and see what happens.

well i really started out fairly simple. i got interested on what can PHP do. so i searched the net on how to learn it. after a while i learned to setup my own webserver...then a mysql server and evan my own nameserver! then i went to the site of PHP and grab the PHP Manual. that thing is very simple yet complete! that is a must have for me! then i learned PHP!