xisto Community
Ash-Bash

Increase Your Internet Speed X2 [easy Edition]

Hello,In this tutorial I will show and tell you how to increase your internet speed x2 this will work on Windows XP (SP1,SP2,SP3), Windows Vista (All Versions), Windows 7 (All Versions)Please follow the steps below and you should have a x2 Internet speed!1) Go to Start2)My computer-(right click on)->properties->then go HARDWARE tab->3)Then Device manager->4)Once in the Window of Device Manager 5)Go to Ports section->6)Communication Port(double click on it and Open).7)Once it is open you can see Communication Port properties.8)Go the Port Setting:----and now increase your "Bits per second" to 128000 and "Flow control" change to Hardware.9) Apply and test @ http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; Any problem reply or PM me!

Can you explain to me slightly more how this works? Surely all that will do is increase the data transfer rate on serial ports, and as far as I know very few people have a serial modem on dial-up these days. The speed is limited by the copper wire connecting you to the phone exchange, then by the speed of your home network. The COM ports don't come into it at all...

Your Internet speed cannot be doubled... there are too many factors considered when it comes to transfer rates. 1.) First off, you start with your ISP. If you elect to subscribe at 1.5Mbps, you're stuck at 1.5Mbps (192KBps). Effectively, 7Mbps = 896KBps. Fiber is faster at 15Mbps (1920KBps), 25Mbps (3200KBps), and 50Mbps (6400KBps). 2.) This bandwidth is allowed to your residence. You'll either have just one client (granting you the full bandwidth) or hook it up to a wireless router that will share this bandwidth with every client on your wireless network... so your actual bandwidth to each computer or device will be different depending on usage. 3.) Of course, now that you have all of this wonderful bandwidth, it doesn't matter if the server you connect to is slower than crap. This is something YOU cannot change. If Google is being bombarded with more http requests than it can handle, your response time with Google will suck. If Twitter is suffering a Denial of Service attack, you won't be able to access it. If you're downloading something from Rapidshare and servers are busy, your transfer rates will suffer. If you download multiple things, play online games, or whatnot simultaneously, all of those applications will share the bandwidth and suffer. I actually checked for Ports to see what you were talking about but I don't have anything to modify... so this "tweak" won't exactly benefit me in the least. :)

Well I done it on my old Router before, I done a Speedtest before any tweaks and got around 6.00MB/S I done this tweak restarted my PC and got 9.56MB/SAnd your telling me this wont work?

Here are my results before the tweak:

Posted Image

And after the tweak:

Posted Image

And another after the tweak:

Posted Image

My internet is rated 25 down 15 up.

Didn't work.

Your Upload is a lot better after you look. Your download has gone down only by 00.8 which wont make a difference.

Actually one has gone up and the other has gone down. I'd put that down to network traffic, server load, etc.

Using the one Windows XP machine I can get my hands on, the results before and after the "tweak":

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

No difference whatsoever, which is to be expected considering there's nothing connected to the serial ports of this PC...

except i posted two pictures after the tweak, and in the picture they are both about equal amount apart from eachother, I am just showing how it can fluctuate.

here are more tests i did AFTER the tweak:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just to test for consistency. I don't think it helped, sorry.

I'm not at liberty to try this method. because I know just what will happen, I'm on dialup and if you set the modem rate higher then the modem speed it becomes inoperable.

Plus there's an easier way of doing that.

1) Click Start

2) Control Panel

3) Network Connections

4) Right click on the active Network Account and click properties

5) Click Configure and the setting for modem rate will be there.

also, here's my speedtest

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your network connection (or another part of your network) would have to be horribly misconfigured for it to reduce your potential bandwidth by half. In reality, this isn't likely to be the case. Even default configurations are reasonably well-suited to provide high throughput/overall throughput. And if it were true that a substantial population of users were suffering from a 50% speed reduction, Internet providers would either receive a lot more complaints about falsely advertised bandwidth ratings or would have to essentially double the throughput speed they advertise to offset the loss due to typical configurations.Small to moderate increases, on the other hand (say, of the 1-20% variety), could be possible through minor tweaking, although you would want to make sure you understand the settings you are adjusting before modifying them (e.g., they could be set lower than their maximum value intentionally to assist with error checking, etc.).

Soviet Rathe, That was not a fair test. You did not use the same location. Your first speed test at -200 Miles. Then after the tweak you done one 1650 miles away. Don't try and be smart :).

Hmm! I don't understand why it should work! I am noobie in this too! Many negative results! But is it ok if I try? and will it work if I connect under router?

With this change still applied:

Posted Image

Myth: Busted methinks. It just doesn't make sense that changing the serial ports would have any effect whatsoever on your Internet connection.

Soviet Rathe, That was not a fair test. You did not use the same location. Your first speed test at -200 Miles. Then after the tweak you done one 1650 miles away. Don't try and be smart :).

lol I never did the tweak I was just showing you my internet connection :D

Well, I also doubt anything has changed, due to usually I just check my ISP website and the plan I'm using and what speeds they're offering and do a test to see if it's true and if it's like that when it seems to work ok..

To my country:

Posted Image

To foreign country:

Posted Image

In the device manager I don't even have a section called Ports, I'm not using a modem, but I'm using Ethernet.. and can't find that setting on Network Connections. Anyway, I doubt I'll get more speed, because I get the speed I'm paying for..

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)