xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Dry Fingers - Annoying Little Problem

Well, I've never had this happen. In the past few days my skin has gotten really dry. Especially the tip of my index finger. And since I use a roller ball mouse, my finger now just slides over it, can't get any traction and can't move my cursor worth a hoot. Especially bad when I'm trying to play Zuma, my favorite game, which I just finally got the game. Right now I have to lick my finger to get it to roll the mouse ball. Which of course, is going to actually dry it out more. Anybody have any ideas so I can have sticky fingers again?

Occurrences of eczema are more pronounced around this time of year. It's a skin disease that can manifest in several ways, including dryness, itchiness, skin cracking, reddening, etc. As mentioned, using a moisturizer is a good idea, especially one with aloe/vitamin e. Additionally, as strange as it sounds, you should avoid excessive use of soap near the affected area, as it can irritate the skin. Alternatively, you could buy a good moisturizing soap with aloe or other nutrients that can help counter the effect. Reapply moisturizer each time you finish washing the affected area, too. Hope this helps.

this is what you do. you cut off your finger because it's useless now. then try using your other hand.

Well, I've never had this happen. In the past few days my skin has gotten really dry. Especially the tip of my index finger. And since I use a roller ball mouse, my finger now just slides over it, can't get any traction and can't move my cursor worth a hoot. Especially bad when I'm trying to play Zuma, my favorite game, which I just finally got the game. Right now I have to lick my finger to get it to roll the mouse ball. Which of course, is going to actually dry it out more. Anybody have any ideas so I can have sticky fingers again?

well you should try putting lotion, or cocoa butter on your hands, anything with moisture on it will help.. try taking a break and putting your fingers to rest in warm water mixed with baby oil LOLfor some reason that sounds like it would work, if it doesnt buy some gloves and keep playing HAHA

There is a special cream you can get for that prescribed from the doctors. In the past when i had stressful periods the back of my fingers and hand would get a nasty rash. By using a proper hydro cortisone cream prescribed by your doctor you can solve your problem if you think it might be eczema. Otherwise any other method people have mentioned should to the trick.

this is what you do. you cut off your finger because it's useless now. then try using your other hand.

LOL, funny you mention that. This is the finger that I accidentally got in the table saw last spring, so I nearly did take your advice. I think that is part of the problem, a bit of the tip is gone and I suspect there is a bit of scar tissue right at the tip causing part of the trouble anyway.
But I think I will otherwise pass on your sugestion. :)

Thanks everybody, I guess I'll just have to keep slathering lotion on me. And pray for spring!

i had the same problem a few years ago and my iphone wont detect my finger and it feels wierd with dry fingers, so just put some lotion, etc. or something designed for dry skin (Vaseline)! the side efect is that its all slippery and stuff now...

I know this is an old post but for those like me that find it I have a short term solution. Rub your finger in the crease of your nose or on your forhead. The natural oils on your skin in these areas works great and if you dont mind being a little gross the best lube is inside your nose. Just dont tell anyone else that is using your device, that is unless you dont want them using it in the first place... ;)

Wow, yes, this is an old post, but I'm glad you offered that solution, I'd of never thought of it. My head has fairly oily skin so that would certainly do more good than licking it and making it dry out worse than it already was. And my forehead is just almost as close as my tongue. Unfortunately, licking it has now become as much as a habit as anything else. I got a new roller ball mouse with my new computer and it's my thumb that moves the ball, but I have already caught myself a dozen times licking my finger when I go to use the mouse. With the new mouse all I do with the index finger is left click. I'll have to work on breaking that bad habit. It will probably be easier to give up than cigarettes.