xisto Community
inverse_bloom

E-book Reader

Hi i've been wondering for those who have tried them, how good are e-book readers? Although they still seem somewhat expensive, i think the convenience they offer would provide good value. For instance i read a heck a lot of e-books and for me, having it conveniently tucked away in a bag, ready for when its needed, is quite alluring. 

But i'm also just wondering what peoples opinions are on the price of these devices. Here is a relatively cheap one which looks better value then some others currently available -

http://gizmodo.com/5422046/alurateks-179-lcd-based-libre-ebook-reader-goes-cheap

I think you should really take a look at the product in real life before you buy it. Because there is a chance that the screen will annoy your eyes. I would go with Kindle as it has a bigger development team. I'm suspicious when it comes to Amazon's actions tho. Because I heard that it deleted an eBook from all Kindles. I wouldn't like to be monitored and controlled like that. So I say go get one that doesn't annoy your eyes(and has a good screen size), is affordable and so on. The fact that this thing contains an MP3 player should say something. If you already have a MP3 player, I recommend going with one that is more focused on the reading part.I don't own an eBook reader so don't take my word for this.

instead of getting bulky and expensive ebook readers ( amazon kindles ) you should get a iphone (i think $500 or something ) or ipod touch ( $199 ) ! They offer many ebooks for around $1.99 from the appstore or you can download a free app called 'wattpad' which has free ebooks. So you can have a phone, music player and a book!

So you can have a phone, music player and a book!

I'm sorry, is iPhone a book? anyway...There's no sense in that. eBook readers do much more than just view iphone app books or whatever. iPhone is a toy/brick with a touchscreen. If you already have a phone and MP3 player, there is no sense in getting a new toy of course if you don't want iPhone anyway. And kinda ironic is when you're saying he's getting a bulky and expensive thing then you recommend him a small-screen phone that isn't any good when it comes to eBooks. You need a good-sized screen to read, not some 3" touchscreen.

Custom PC did a roundup of e-book readers recently and reached the following basic conclusions:

Amazon Kindle: The proprietary file format is awful and a major flaw. Other than that, it's acceptable.

Cool-er Reader: Uses EPUB format, which is open. Very easy to use, but poor build quality.

Sony Pocket: Uses EPUB, bet all-round device. Poor screen.

I've also looked around at a few devices myself and they all have glaring flaws at the moment - none made me want to part with my cash. I'd advise waiting for new devices to enter the market and see if there are any improvements in the screens. Try them out before you buy too, as quality varies hugely. If you intend to travel with your e-book reader, try to get one with a metal case that will survive a few little knocks and dents and won't fall apart in your hands.

Thanks everyone for the advise, yeah ill wait a while. The kindle did look pretty good and a large size too, but kind of expensive for what it is, i mean for the same price you can get a good quality net book. I know they don't perform the same function but they also greatly differ on value for money by the sounds of things. I'll wait a year or so.

I'm sorry, is iPhone a book? anyway...There's no sense in that. eBook readers do much more than just view iphone app books or whatever. iPhone is a toy/brick with a touchscreen. If you already have a phone and MP3 player, there is no sense in getting a new toy of course if you don't want iPhone anyway. And kinda ironic is when you're saying he's getting a bulky and expensive thing then you recommend him a small-screen phone that isn't any good when it comes to eBooks. You need a good-sized screen to read, not some 3" touchscreen.
-Baniboy

I wouldn't push him too the side like that. The iPhone or an iPod Touch make great e-Readers if you've actually used the Barnes and Noble or Kindle or the Stanza app I wouldn't say that reading on it is a pain. Its a great device for reading especially if you need to read a manual or a longer book. Its pretty well organizes and also syncs with your desktop. Stanza lets you transfer your own personal collection no matter what the format, be it even the Amazon format, while being DRM-laden its actually compatible with the iPod Touch, so you don't need to ignore the fact that it is a rather ubiquitous device. If you haven't tried reading on it then you can't complain, most of the e-Reader apps like Classics for example makes it rather enjoyable because it lowers the contrast a bit, and provides soft colors that are easy on the eyes. You can turn down the brightness as well if that annoys you. The Kindle is an overpriced device, that does a single task, and in reality, why would you spend all your money buying books that are about the same price digital or hardcopy, when you can't make more than one copy of it.

I think you should really take a look at the product in real life before you buy it. Because there is a chance that the screen will annoy your eyes. I would go with Kindle as it has a bigger development team. I'm suspicious when it comes to Amazon's actions tho. Because I heard that it deleted an eBook from all Kindles. I wouldn't like to be monitored and controlled like that. So I say go get one that doesn't annoy your eyes(and has a good screen size), is affordable and so on. The fact that this thing contains an MP3 player should say something. If you already have a MP3 player, I recommend going with one that is more focused on the reading part.
I don't own an eBook reader so don't take my word for this.
-Baniboy

You are correct here, when you say that you do need to try it before you buy it though. The new nook should be available instores at Barnes and Noble, but even the pre-orders haven't been delivered and the device seems to be bloated and slow at the moment. Kindle is the leading application right now, but now that Stanza has released a converter for Kindle books you don't need to worry about losing the Amazon store for e-books. Stanza for desktop converts the book into an e-book format and then you can add it on the nook now. Its the same idea how people were doing the same for Amazon Mp3s into the itunes store although that would work in the opposite direction. I believe that Amazon is turning into a pre-Apple, they want to restrict their customers to a small circle, and hold them hostage. The cool*er E-reader isn't much of a threat because it lacks its own store, doesn't have any apps that sync it with other devices, doesn't have a mainstream desktop app, a store like Amazons or a brick and mortar prescence in the book industry like Barnes and Noble, or even the brand recognition of Sony, although Sony does have its own online store

I've read quite a bit of speculation that 2010 will see the release of several new models of e-book readers. It will be fun to see if the upcoming CES features some new ones too. More choice and hopefully lower prices! I'd love to get an e-reader, but the prices and restrictions on formats are off-putting to me.