xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inverse_bloom

New Wordpress Blog Retrofitted Into Existing Design

Hi, ive just put Word press into my existing html site, only thing is for some reason it isnt working right...

As far as i know their is no problems with user permissions through the wordpress admin section so im a little confused. The design has been retrofitted from another design into a format that suits my site. I did this with little knowledge of the underlying structure of wordpress and even php. I know that i killed the orginal footer in the process.

Although the skin works fine on my localhost through xampp. Its getting a little late for me now but if you click a link on this page - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It returns a cgi error.

Ill write more about this tmoro if anyone is interested in helping thanks.

Just saw the error page on your site. As of now the wp-config file is missing. Copy it from wordpress zip file and upload it to server. wp-config file may need to rename if it is not renamed as per the original installation.

For quick help, check this guide for more information.

You have to rename the "wp-config-sample.php" to "wp-config.php". (Also look at the guide and give the respective database name). Once you do that then upload the file and run the installation again.

I don't know why didn't you tried wordpress from fantastico or softaculous. That will make installation faster.

Actually i've heard people mention "softaculous and fantastico" before, i have the basic 2 dollar plan are those accessible somewhere on my cpanel? I have a link entitled "easy apps" ?I retried the installation through filezilla. After a successful install (successfully created wp-config) i get the following error when i try to navigate my blog in any depth -CGI ErrorThe specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.This is from a fresh installation with out any other modifications or plugins.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Actually as it turns out that error was due to my permalinks option being switched away from default. But having it back on default still doesnt get good results, now when i click on "comments" for example it doesnt take me to a screen where i can add comments to a blog. Gawd... admin tasks.

Actually i've heard people mention "softaculous and fantastico" before, i have the basic 2 dollar plan are those accessible somewhere on my cpanel? I have a link entitled "easy apps" ?

Never heard of easy apps before. Besides that,I have trouble installing any web app using Softaculous. Still i can install wordpress from fantastico. My plan is also 1.95$ Logic Plan of CH. So it is available to me. I'm not sure why softaculous is disabled for me but atleast fantastico is enabled old version will be installed though.

Still not sure what was the comment issue with your wp installation.

I can't tell you anything about the error, sorry.

But it looks nice, like everything else on your site. You're the man. I like the RSS button.
But you need to work on the links, because the blog is at index.php, when you click home, it leads to index.html and when you click the blog link you'll be connected to blog.php.

So you could change the top menu to link to same things. And move the blog to it's own directory instead of root, like /blog or something. Another thing is, let wordpress make your head by itself. Enter this code in head tag:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />		<title><?php wp_title('«', true, 'right'); ?> <?php bloginfo('name'); ?></title>		<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />		<?php wp_get_archives('type=monthly&format=link'); ?>		<?php //comments_popup_script(); // off by default ?>		<?php wp_head(); ?>
That'll give you the title and stuff. Make sure you don't delete your own CSS meta link in the head tag. Insert it at the bottom, in case the wp_head() is getting its own stylesheets, this will be a part-time solution. If this happens(check the source in browser), find that stylesheet file and replace it with your own.
As for the fact that it reconnects to index when I try viewing a post, try this out instead of whatever php code you're using, leave out the parts you don't want:
<div <?php post_class() ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">								 <h3 class="storytitle"><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>								<div class="meta"><?php _e("Filed under:"); ?> <?php the_category(',') ?> — <?php the_tags(__('Tags: '), ', ', ' — '); ?> <?php the_author() ?> @ <?php the_time() ?> <?php edit_post_link(__('Edit This')); ?></div>															<div class="storycontent">									<?php the_content(__('(more...)')); ?>								</div>															<div class="feedback">									<?php wp_link_pages(); ?>									<?php comments_popup_link(__('Comments (0)'), __('Comments (1)'), __('Comments (%)')); ?>								</div>														</div>
Try also modifying permalinks in settings. And updating .htaccess file.
And damn, you make me jealous! :P I'm not the visually creative type, I guess. :P

Anyway, what are you going to publish on your blog?

Oh yeah, I Didn't paid attention to permalinks. But that link below is surely not good for SEO In my opinion.

Change it to: %postname.htm
After that you can edit .htaccess and let the settings save. What was wrong in above URL is "_html"keyword. Which is unnecessary and will serve no benefit for SEO. You can still keep it that way but it will not help at all.
Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Thanks guys for replying. Regarding the .htaccess file i cant even find where that is, i presume that is meant to be in the inversebloom.com/ directory because if it is i must have deleted it. As humbling as it sounds, i don't really know what that is about or how to restore it. I presume you make a txt file and renamed .htaccess but im not sure about what the default settings should be. That is probably what is upsetting word press at the moment hey? because that is the only thing i can identify which is missing or seems strange. I've messaged Xisto regarding my wordpress issue + the missing .htaccess file and also the absence of Softaculous or Fantastico in my control panel.Regarding mahesh's comments regarding keywords in the URL in post 7, i also have "weblinks.htm", "tutorials_web_design.htm" among other links with the "html" keyword contained with in them. Would it be advisable to change the names of those pages as well, or just anything that contains "html" in its name?When you mentioned "Change it to: %postname.htm" in post 7, did you mean something like "%portfolio_1.htm" or could i simply get away with something like "portfolio_1.htm". One of my main concerns was how SEO would be affected by popping a word press install alongside with my pre existing HTML pages and having it linked together. My plan was to install word press and change "index.php" to "blog.php" and cross my fingers that it was OK for SEO, Lol. But i have been wondering today if i should be using plugins to extend word press to the point where it can operate as a CMS and plop my pre-existing HTML content into word press for the sake of consistency between links. Would that be as easy as i have made it sound, would it be necessary?To throw some further complication i was planning to put in an .xml sitemap for Google, by using a generator site to trace through everything and create a site map after each post to my blog. Would that be inadvisable?Regarding Baniboy's post 6, thanks for the kind comments. That RSS button contained on the page wasn't created by me. Actually i have been thinking of creating those sorts of buttons for the site in the past, but due to the lack of content on my site, it never really necessitated the need for me to do it. Regarding those links yeah i know their a bit of a mess at the moment but only till i manage a successful install of word press which seems to becoming an epic endeavor!Regarding moving the blog to a subdirectory, yeah will do if i don't need to amalgamate the content contained in HTML files into a word press CMS for proper SEO. Regarding you php code, would it be correct to put that the proper locations in index.php? :P I really need to start learning PHP i reckon, besides Maya 3D's PHP like language to make polygon primitives bounce around on screen and cause collisions. :P Actually i do have a small idea of the syntax, i have no idea what the workings of wp_head() function does (or what a head thingy means to word press, lol).Regarding your design comment Baniboy, its not entirely about being visually creative which leads to good results. If you learn the history of art/design + elements/principles/methods/theories/thought processes, then your chances of coming up with something good is greatly increased (although arriving at such level obviously takes some investment of time and effort but you can do it :D ).Plus i'll help you should you ever ask for it and you're really not that bad anyway (you've got skill judging on your recent template designs :D ). Regarding what i will base my blog on, i guess anything that sells and attracts visitors. Though it will mostly be web design tips i'll probably diverge into music reviews because i looove music. :D

Regarding mahesh's comments regarding keywords in the URL in post 7, i also have "weblinks.htm", "tutorials_web_design.htm" among other links with the "html" keyword contained with in them. Would it be advisable to change the names of those pages as well, or just anything that contains "html" in its name?

For that you can check permalinks settings, this is where i asked you to change the common settings for URL. You have many options to choose from. You can select : %postname.htm% as one such option.

I asked to remove html word cause you are getting it as extension already so using extra word will not benefit SE's. You can insert another word or timestamp instead to benefit from SE.

When you mentioned "Change it to: %postname.htm" in post 7, did you mean something like "%portfolio_1.htm" or could i simply get away with something like "portfolio_1.htm".

If you check "permalink settings then you can find out about that custom structure. You can either go with :"%postname%" or "%postname.html% structure.

And for .htaccess you can create demo account on some free hosting service like zymic and check out that file (if available and copy the content). It'll work for time being.

Thanks for the tips, mahesh.

Okey pokey, i've just got up to speed on what .htaccess is and also its general usage. At this point i just want to see it working at a basic level, before i change "permalinks" in Wordpress. Though i having troubles even achieving that, as it doesn't appear to be working. This link shows what htaccess currently contains - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(I transferred the file to my server http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ in "ascii" mode and i also renamed it to .htaccess what you see there is another copy)

I'm getting no joy when i try to invoke a 404 error by typing "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; or whatever. I wanna see my funny messages!

So regarding having my pre-existing HTML pages alongside a Wordpress installation, would anyone know what kind of implications that would have on SEO? (especially if I create an XML site map through - https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ ?)

I might have to start bugging Google for information soon, :P .

I'll give you link for SEO plugin for wordpress and for sitemap plugin as well. Both this plugin will solve your problems. But for that permalinks, you need to work without plugins.

So regarding having my pre-existing HTML pages alongside a Wordpress installation, would anyone know what kind of implications that would have on SEO?

Perhaps SE will assume it as duplicate content as it is from same domain. (I'm assuming that blog pages and your static having same content and are accesible from same site.)I'll search more to let you know how you can work around with that.
By the way, try thematic theme as it matches with your current theme and will help get you done things fast.

Thanks Mahesh, your right about thematic it is surprisingly similar to my own and sound like it will be quick to configure. Here is a link i found which has provides some resources to aid with thematic development - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

What i found particularly interesting was the link to "Thematic Page Structure – Blue Mandala" which gives a quick lowdown from an info graphic.

Regarding my static pages vs the blog pages, well yes they will do have very similar content and your right the fact that a SE might interpret that as duplicate content is a concern. I've just downloaded 10 or so pages on the topic of trying to get word press to work seamlessly with pre-existing static pages with SEO. I'll give an update on how i go.

Thanks.

Regarding you php code, would it be correct to put that the proper locations in index.php? :P

Yes, the index.php file. You put the contents of the first codebox in the <head> tag, okay? It will get your blog title, keywords meta tags etc. from the MySQL database. You know the PHP code that gets your blog content in index.php(= your posts)? Replace it with the content in the second codebox.
As for the .htaccess, it should be named exactly ".htaccess", not "htaccess.txt". So do these things and tell us what happened. :P

.htaccess let's you set passwords for folders, deny folder access, deny other things and redirect things. When used with mod_rewrite() in PHP, it'll let you have more SEO-friendly URLs(= http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ instead of https://de.wordpress.com/).
You can't find the .htaccess-file because it's hidden. Access root via FTP and select to show hidden files&folders. Then just upload your own .htaccess file(or the one wp generates for you).

Would that be as easy as i have made it sound, would it be necessary?

Yes, just make pages with wordpress and move your html code for the page content to the wp page-making thingy. Remember to choose to edit as source. After that simply reconstruct the links in the menu and you're done.

To throw some further complication i was planning to put in an .xml sitemap for Google, by using a generator site to trace through everything and create a site map after each post to my blog. Would that be inadvisable?

There's "Google XML Sitemaps"-add-on for WP. Always worked for me. Have fun.
And thanks for calling me not that bad :D

Here is the link to All in one SEO pack, it works for me and many others who are using wordpress. This is perfect plugin for most of your SEO needs.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/

Also, i was in search of many other sitemap plugins. Bani mentioned one already, you can try that as well. To see what works for you on SE. You can sign up for Google Webmaster tools and submit sitemap there to see if it is updating the sitemap regularly.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I'll give you some more SE related plugins but as i can't access to my own WP. So i'll give you that list as soon as i get access. Meantime work arround with these two plugins.

About thematic, yeah it is very easy to configure and i'm using it for one of my blog. Not much of editing on that theme though but i managed to use it as simple as possible. I must say there is very less clutter for thematic and that's why loading times for thematic is very good.

i wouldn't add any pugins until you get your problem resolved

as far as permalinks for seo purposes, you will have to edit your .htaccess file to include...

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>RewriteEngine OnRewriteBase /your wordpress directory/RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-fRewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-dRewriteRule . /your wordpress directory/index.php [L]</IfModule>

once you figure out your cgi errors and permalinks, then you can start messin' around with the plugins. there are some good ones. aside from the seo ones(which wordpress has EXCELLENT ones), there is also one to redirect a user to a profile page and not the dashboard. it's also the one thing i hate about wordpress.

in notepad, to save your htaccess file, you will have to save it as ".htaccess" WITH the quotes so it doesn't add the .txt at the end of the file