xisto Community
Ash-Bash

Hp Camera 'can't See' Black Faces

HP camera 'can't see' black faces

A YouTube video suggesting that face recognition cameras installed in HP laptops cannot detect black faces has had over one million views.The short movie, uploaded earlier this month, features "Black Desi" and his colleague "White Wanda".

When Wanda, a white woman, is in front of the screen, the camera zooms to her face and moves as she moves.

But when Desi, a black man, does the same, the camera does not respond by tracking him.

The clip is light-hearted in tone but is titled "HP computers are racist".

"HP has been informed of a potential issue with the facial-tracking software included on some of its systems, which appears to occur when insufficient foreground lighting is available," an HP spokesman told BBC News.

"We take this seriously and are looking into it with our partners."

Well.... For one I am sure HP did not do this on purpose though I am sure Black people find it very offensive or feel it was on purpose. HP are a leading computer company I don't have a clue how this would happen as there products are tested a lot!

Please post your views!

Obviously they didn't intend to do it. I'm guessing, like the article says, it's a lighting problem - the same would probably happen with a white person in over-bright scenarios. HP should really have done more testing to see if the face recognition worked properly in all situations, but to claim they're being racist is just sensationalist and illogical.

Why would black people would find that offensive? That's just stupid. The problem is simply that the facial structure of some black people is different. We have to accept that there are certain biological differences. It isn't racist, but realistic. You can't make software compatible with EVERYTHING, you make mistakes and compromises.

It does seem a very funny video. It seems obvious that he is not offended, it takes it as a joke very well. Though other black people on Youtube and on other sites are offended. Seems like they just want to get on the news :P

well that is just racist to black people! im sure there was someone black in the testing room or something... everything i own is HP = ) no DELL im sure that its just a little bug

Yeah yeah they find the stupidest things to make news out of. If it was hp camera's not detecting white people faces that are so pale would that be racist too? lol. People just want attention.

Yeah, really. It seems like people have been turning the bug in the camera to somewhat of a publicity stunt. So far, I havn't heard anything about it on the news, but I'm on vacation, so I havn't nessesarily been keeping track of world events as much as I usually do. Anyhow, the guy doesn't seem offended at all. Rather, he looks somewhat amused. All of those fools out there who think HP is 'racist' should be ignored. Would they really do something like that? No. It would ruin their public reputation, possibly stomping it out.?

my thoughts is people need to be carefull in what they post over the internet...especially a comment like "hp is racist". that can get someone sued really quick. wouldn say that hp would care about it being posted in a place like trap that gets a lot of traffic already as much as a viral setting such as you tube where it it is possible to get a million viewsand no. black people shouldn't be offended because it can just as easily insinuate that the software needs to track the white man more than any other person.it's a foreground lighting issue for sure. i have messed with my own recognition software and i fooled around with the lighting. although i have a built in camera, i don't use it because i found it's too inconsistant just like the text to speech software i have as well. they are neat little toys, but i just dont count on themi think whoever made this video should have been more objective when showing it and not turn it in to some joke or racial situation. whoever he is, he's a fool. people need to be a little more responsible than to ruin someone's reputation. and who said it was a joke? maybe it wasn't a joke through the eyes of the racist who made and posted the video.

update: i had to see this video where i suggested a fool made it and posted it on you tube. there have now been other videos made to see how valid the claims were in the original video. it turns out, that there is a back light correction control on this camera when it's turned off, it's harder to recognize faces. when it's turned on and up, the camera has no problem recognizing faces will in fact move and adjust.so it is now obvious that i was originally correct when i stated only a fool could make those claims that hp is racists. in fact, only a racist could ever make such false claims. and in this case, it turned out to be a black man.i think this guy owes hp a huge public apology for being such a fool in his video when in fact it has been proven now that the camera DOES pick up black people. his video received over 1.6 million views, made false allegations, ruined the reputation of a company and most likely cost hp some business.i think it was unfair that he took it upon his own self to talk for ALL black people in his video because one bad apple does sometimes ruin the bunch. in the end, i am sure he still feels hp is racist....because let's face it. what else could it be??? OH!!!!!!! the back light correction controls....something as simple as that....

Yeah yeah they find the stupidest things to make news out of. If it was hp camera's not detecting white people faces that are so pale would that be racist too? lol. People just want attention.

I have to agree with you. People just want attention, and I think we have a new "most overused word" in the dictionary, racist. And to say HP did it on purpose is just stupid. It has nothing to do with any particular camara or camara company. I have owned a sony, and Epson, and a samsung, and none of them take good pictures of black dogs. Black dogs are virtually impossible to photograph decently, and I suspect the same it true for black people. So it really has nothing to do with black people, but somebody just wants to make a moutain out of a mole hill and piss and moan about how blacks are treated so badly.

OMG lolI loled so hard at this topicBut really, i dont think this was on purpose, some lighting issuesbut shame on HP for coming out witha product without full testing, i mean lighting issues are teh first things they should test when testing a camera