xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bash

Windows Xp - Clear Type

While setting up my new machine last night... I stumbled upon a feature of Windows I have missed for years.Right click on the desktop.Properties > Appearance > Effects...Check the box for "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" and change it from "Standard" to "Clear Type"Press OKPress ApplyThe text looks much crisper on my machine now. I run Windows at 1600x1200 on a 21" Trinitron. Webpages, icon text, everything seems much better than with "standard" smooth edges.Check it out. You may really like it.

Wow I have never noticed this tweak. Thankyou very much. It helped out a lot on my laptop. I'll tell this tweak to my friends. I just love how my laptop looks. The font makes everything easier to read so my grandpa wouldn't have to wear his glasses. Is there a reg hack for this? Because my friend can't access the menu when he presses "effects".

yea it works out pretty good its like changing the standard font to a more bold and crisp typing style. I just changed it on my school laptop and you can really see it a whole lot better, now i dont have to keep adjusting the screen on the laptop to see the font as crisp as possible. Even though it works best for laptop i just recently tried it on my computer and it does make a difference, i am typing in it right now. Basically i like it so much because i am so tired of the original windows, i always try to install skins and new mods to make things different.

Oh my god, that's so cool! Now my fonts look like fonts on macs... I love fonts on macs! Except, I'm not going to keep it like that, because all my other friends don't use this, and if I use it, then I wouldn't be used to them anymore!

haha ya i just applyed it to my computer aswell man it looks cool i had no clue this could be done. well thanks for sharing this with us. :D

i think it only looks good on a LCD monitor because it makes it look as if its the LCD on an Ipod, dont think it has the same affect on a normal monitor...

Dude, this frickin rocks! love it! Rep for you for telling us of something so cool!! :D

i think it only looks good on a LCD monitor because it makes it look as if its the LCD on an Ipod, dont think it has the same affect on a normal monitor...

49476[/snapback]

Looks fine on my 17" CRT Screen... but I do have to say it's really weird looking at text like that after being used to it being so... pixelly :D

All the bolded text looks a bit blurred though, and on the desktop, it makes all the icons look reallllllyyy bad since the text underneath is so nice :D