xisto Community
Sea Mac

Merry Christmas From Software Santa (Its my own personal Treasure Map to the Internet)

I have this not-for-profit domain I'm running: Software Santa!

http://softwaresanta.com/

Posted Image

I started it almost 3 years ago to keep a list of free things suitable for sharing with the North American English speaking audience. Most things are Open Source - some are cross platform - all resources listed are free! It's my own personal Treasure Map to the internet and I refer to it whenever a friend needs good & inexpensive software.

There are no Banner ads or links by Google - I'm not making a penny on this site! This site is my answer to the question: "If Santa Claus had a web site, what would it be like?"

There is a even a section called "You be Santa Now" where you can exercise the spirit of Christmas Giving (FREE - of Course) on an everyday basis! http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ You can actually make a positive difference in the lives of others right from your chair and it costs nothing but a minute (if that) of your time!

I've posted only a very few of my favorite topics - like "Free Money from the Feds" - in this forums' "Freebies" section already ....

So, in the Spirit of Christmas Giving I invite you to look for some software or resources that YOU might find useful on my list: and Happy Holiday wishes to all of You!

Oh, and as I've worked on it 3 years there ?may? be a few dead links by now: and if you find one I'd love it if you PLEASE told me about it here! Or, if there is something you need and can't find, please ask for it here: I delight in "Taking Requests" for "Presents".

Here's hoping the site is as useful to you as it is to me! Oh, and there are 420 games (right now) already listed ... :P

And the Domain even has a small Video Arcade for some mindless R&R ....

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Be Welcomed!

Namaste, Software Santa (AKA Sea Mac)

Edited by Sea Mac (see edit history)

Heh, it's good. It's a nice change to see a site practically overflowing with content and not trying to charge crazy money.
I really like your use of SMF to create an article database, I bet it makes editing much easier. Usually my heart sinks when I see another free program based site, but the audio-editing section caught my eye. I got hooked on your post about Songbird, everyone's been talking about that bloody application; but you're the only person to simply list all of its merits.
Assuming that you're doing the modelling for Santa, I must commend your beard. Perfect attire. :P

On a visual note, the colours are quite garish. I'd personally recommend using a monotone theme, such as this. That way you can keep the bright visuals without clashing.
Best of luck. If only I lived in S.California I could capitalize on your free gifts.

I think Santa's website has a great theme. Normally I don't like bright themes, and on most sites I would hate those colours, but it fits the theme of the site well in my opinion. In fact, one of the reasons I enjoy browsing the website is because of it's lively and cheery atmosphere. The theme makes it pleasant to look.

The site as a whole has a fitting and appropriate colour scheme for the 'Software Santa' idea, although there is insufficient contrast in some ways e.g. between dark red and dark green, the text becomes hard to read.The icons need a bit of work to smooth out the pixelated edges in the middle, in addition to the small white jagged pixelated edges of the Santa face in the top right of the page.

Thanks, you guys!

Yeah, that's my face under the Santa's Cap. My face has scared little children and small dogs before ... I'm used to that.

I know the colors are Garish Christmas and the graphics need work. I've had no time lately to even hang out here in this wonderful forum - let alone keep mine updated.

I think using SMF as a way to organize, and search through the freebies I find, clever.

I will resist ever putting ads on this site. This site is not for profit. It is basically my personal resource for keeping track of a lot of the good stuff I dig up. I'd have trouble remembering the URLs and programs details for 2,400 items - and I hope to grow it larger day by day.

I think it would be so tacky for "Santa" to come down your chimney with a hand out for "Donations" (even milk and cookies - never expect or request them) or tattooed all over with "Ads by Google".

Thank You for the honest feedback guys!

Edited by Sea Mac (see edit history)