xisto Community
rob86

What Are Some Good Short Stories? Preferably ones available freely online

I used to read a lot years ago, but as the Internet got more interesting, I stopped reading before bed, heck, I stopped going to bed! I'm thinking that I should start reading a bit more, something other than Wikipedia (Heh, anyone else a Wiki addict like me?) and short stories seems like a good place to kick-start my interest in reading. Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something that's well known and available online. I'll read just about anything, from horror stories like Edgar Allen Poe's (I've only read tell-tale heart and Cask of Amontillado) to classic "children" stories. Something a little more mature than Green Eggs and Ham though, please!

An American Author William Faulkner always tingled my brain from time to time.

His styles are rough and sometimes running with his thoughts, but his works were always praised by critiques.

Maybe the influence of World War II could be shown in his writing style. A Rose for Emily, I read as college English term paper, took on 5 different angles which the book told the story. I found that intriguing and annoying at the same time. I just couldn't keep up. But it sure did put me to sleep.

what about long poems? they can be considered short stories. a couple that stick out that are much different than eachother would be The Highway Man or Casey at the Bat

i remember my mother would pay us kids for memorizing literature. although, i usually always rejected it because i hated reading. but i think these long poems have something to offer too if you can find a site dedicated to them. i'm too tired to look for one right now though :P and although i really hated to read, i did always like poe. now....what's your problem with green eggs and ham?!?!?!?

I used to read a lot years ago, but as the Internet got more interesting, I stopped reading before bed, heck, I stopped going to bed! I'm thinking that I should start reading a bit more, something other than Wikipedia (Heh, anyone else a Wiki addict like me?) and short stories seems like a good place to kick-start my interest in reading. Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something that's well known and available online. I'll read just about anything, from horror stories like Edgar Allen Poe's (I've only read tell-tale heart and Cask of Amontillado) to classic "children" stories. Something a little more mature than Green Eggs and Ham though, please!

Helium.com is one good site to read some short stories. Some may or may not be what you want to read. But i found some stories are just too good. Other than that i remember reading some short stories on dailywritingtips.com site. Some nice stories were there.You can lurk arround some writers site and ask for short stories blog or sites if you want to read some cool stories.

You seem to already be online enough, so why not read real books for change? If you like short stories, go to your local library and borrow a novel collection. You'll have many short stories to keep you entertained before going to bed. And you don't have to search for them every time you have read one through.