xisto Community
Nameless_

Updating Drupal Core Problem I knew it. It always happens... :(

Heya people. :P I've got a problem updating the new version of Drupal 6.15 and I need your help. As you may know before, I did some file structures wrong, and instead of putting all of my non-core modules into the sites/all/modules folder, I just dumped them in the modules folder. :PI also did the same thing for the themes. Now, the newest version of Drupal is available, and I have trouble updating my Drupal core. As far as I know, you are meant to copy your sites folder, delete your whole entire site, download the new version of Drupal and then paste in your sites folder. However, I tried to move my current template into a folder in sites/all/themes, and then deleting the theme's old location, but when I refreshed the site, the template is now gone. :D I still have to move out all of my non-core modules as well, and I'm not sure if it is going to work.Can someone tell me what to do?Also, does copying your sites folder also copies the contents on your site? Because I don't know where all my blog posts and content will go if I update, and I only copied the sites folder. Thanks for the help,Nameless_

However, I tried to move my current template into a folder in sites/all/themes, and then deleting the theme's old location, but when I refreshed the site, the template is now gone.

There's a lot of confusion there. What was the previous location of your current theme. When you moved the files to?sites/all/themes, what did you delete at previous location, its parent directory? Have a look at themes administration and check if your theme is present there.

This is how I did my recent update: Downloaded the latest version, unpacked it, deleted sites folder in it, zipped it back. Uploaded it to server and unpacked there, replacing/overwriting all things there. May be its not the best method but it works. The two directories which I don't let new version replace on server are sites and files (custom location chose for uploading files on server).

All the posts and content are saved in MySQL databases. Hopefully you might be knowing about it, because you couldn't have installed drupal without first creating database. If you read a post in your previous thread, I told something about backups feature in cpanel which lets us to backup MySQL databases and/or directories and other configuration.?

Heya people. :P I've got a problem updating the new version of Drupal 6.15 and I need your help. As you may know before, I did some file structures wrong, and instead of putting all of my non-core modules into the sites/all/modules folder, I just dumped them in the modules folder. :D

I also did the same thing for the themes. Now, the newest version of Drupal is available, and I have trouble updating my Drupal core. As far as I know, you are meant to copy your sites folder, delete your whole entire site, download the new version of Drupal and then paste in your sites folder.

Yes, it is one of the ways available to update drupal core. There is a UPGRADE.txt file will be available in your drupal installation folder. Read it. It is very easy. It will guide you how to upgrade drupal. Backup your sites folder (you can copy your entire folder locally using a FTP client, or you can copy that folder to another location in your hosting account).

However, I tried to move my current template into a folder in sites/all/themes, and then deleting the theme's old location, but when I refreshed the site, the template is now gone. :D I still have to move out all of my non-core modules as well, and I'm not sure if it is going to work.

I didn't understand this fully. You tried to copy your old theme and it was gone? And if you copied your theme from the core Themes folder, you should not delete the themes folder. That is core.

I will guide you with an example. For example, your theme name is myTheme. First thing you should do before copying your myTheme into sites/all/themes is Disable myTheme in themes section. Enable a core theme(like garland). And above all, put your site OFF-LINE

Now, after copying myTheme into sites folder, delete your myTheme from original THEMES folder.

Now re-enable your myTheme in your themes section.

I think you did something wrong here.. and never delete any core drupal folder (except when upgrading your drupal).

Also, does copying your sites folder also copies the contents on your site? Because I don't know where all my blog posts and content will go if I update, and I only copied the sites folder.

NO.. Your content is not in your sites folder. It is in your DATABASE. Sites folder will have your files like images (in sites/default/files), and your themes and modules. All your content will be safe at database.

Please post if you have any other doubts, or if I confused you :P

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

Thanks xpress so much. :P I appreciate you answering to every drupal help question thread that I make. :D You don't know how many times you have saved my life. :D

I didn't understand this fully. You tried to copy your old theme and it was gone? And if you copied your theme from the core Themes folder, you should not delete the themes folder. That is core.

I will guide you with an example. For example, your theme name is myTheme. First thing you should do before copying your myTheme into sites/all/themes is Disable myTheme in themes section. Enable a core theme(like garland). And above all, put your site OFF-LINE

Now, after copying myTheme into sites folder, delete your myTheme from original THEMES folder.

Now re-enable your myTheme in your themes section.

I think you did something wrong here.. and never delete any core drupal folder (except when upgrading your drupal).

Well, what I meant was that I have put my non-core modules into my core modules folder and my non-core themes into my core themes folder. What I tried to do was copy and then delete my current theme from my core modules, and then moving it into the sites/all/themes folder, and then I refreshed my site in my browser. But the template then disappeared (from my browser) and it only showed a plain HTML page instead of the template. And that is why it didn't work.

I just want to ask... if that is the case, then how am I meant to then move all my non-core modules into my non-core module folder, not to mention the non-core templates as well?

NO.. Your content is not in your sites folder. It is in your DATABASE. Sites folder will have your files like images (in sites/default/files), and your themes and modules. All your content will be safe at database.

Please post if you have any other doubts, or if I confused you :P

Ah... OK, thanks a lot. :D I never knew that. So... am I meant to back up my database? I don't know how to do that, even though you have tried to teach me before. I only have a back up of the public_html folder on my computer. :D

Thanks a lot. Nameless_ :D

So... am I meant to back up my database? I don't know how to do that, even though you have tried to teach me before. I only have a back up of the public_html folder on my computer.

@Nameless: Could you check whether my username appears in your ignored list? :P

This would be the third time I am telling about MySQL backup feature in Cpanel. I think you didn't read my posts, or were they too confusing for you? If so, please tell me, I would be more lenient in explaining things next time. :P

The first time:

As for backing up, how did you copy the folder, through FTP? I use th backup wizard in cpanel. There, we have the option of either creating a full backup of site with databases, or just the databases, or home directory backup.

The second time:

If you read a post in your previous thread, I told something about backups feature in cpanel which lets us to backup MySQL databases and/or directories and other configuration.

If you couldn't understand those steps, there are some excellent video tutorials which show baby steps to backup databases and for carrying out many other chores in Cpanel. Hope those videos would make it crystal clear.

how am I meant to then move all my non-core modules into my non-core module folder, not to mention the non-core templates as well?

You can try this, delete the core directories of themes and modules as you have already messed up, upload the fresh directories of core themes and modules from new drupal download. And now in your non core directories upload all the things you want to upload. But, uninstall all the non core modules and change the theme to default core theme before carrying out the above process. Edited by BCD (see edit history)

Well, what I meant was that I have put my non-core modules into my core modules folder and my non-core themes into my core themes folder. What I tried to do was copy and then delete my current theme from my core modules, and then moving it into the sites/all/themes folder, and then I refreshed my site in my browser. But the template then disappeared (from my browser) and it only showed a plain HTML page instead of the template. And that is why it didn't work.

I just want to ask... if that is the case, then how am I meant to then move all my non-core modules into my non-core module folder, not to mention the non-core templates as well?

Well, have you checked your sites/all/themes folder? If your non-core theme is there, then go to Administer - Site Building - Themes Section. Your theme will appear in that page, enable it. If you lost your theme, just copy that theme folder from your backup and paste it in sites/all/themes.

If you want to move your contributed (non-core) modules to sites/all/modules folder, first disable all the modules you want to copy. Then move the modules from core modules section to your sites/all/modules folder. Now re-enable them. Follow the same procedure for themes(templates) as well.

Ah... OK, thanks a lot. :P I never knew that. So... am I meant to back up my database? I don't know how to do that, even though you have tried to teach me before. I only have a back up of the public_html folder on my computer. :P

Thanks a lot. Nameless_ :D

If you want to backup your database, go to Backups in your CPanel. You'll see Download a MySQL Database Backup in that page. A link will be there with your database name. Click on it to download your mysql database... you can use that to restore later, if anything messed up in your database :D

If you want to move your contributed (non-core) modules to sites/all/modules folder, first disable all the modules you want to copy. Then move the modules from core modules section to your sites/all/modules folder. Now re-enable them.

I don't know about this, as I haven't tried, but would just disabling modules and moving the directories would be fine? Aren't those previous directory paths locked into the installation? So, may be if disabling doesn't work, may be uninstalling it and reinstalling the modules might work.

I don't know about this, as I haven't tried, but would just disabling modules and moving the directories would be fine? Aren't those previous directory paths locked into the installation? So, may be if disabling doesn't work, may be uninstalling it and reinstalling the modules might work.

As far as I know, modules don't associate with any path in the database. When we install a module, it will directly creates a new table in the database. And when we access that module, it will access its table in the database regardless of its location. So, the above tip will work, to my knowledge. Just checked with some modules in my localhost and it worked. Anyway you try it once..

And UNISTALLING a module is DANGEROUS. It will delete everything related to that module from the database. That means, for example, you have NODEWORDS installed in modules, and you have associated many pages with META Keywords, and Description. Now you decided to reinstall that module by uninstalling it. What will happen? All your Meta keywords, and description will be lost. You need to enter them manually again, which is not worth. That's why Uninstalling is only suggestible if you want to get rid of a module completely.

Well no problem then. So, they auto detect if there are any modules in the core and non core directories, regardless of the path they were previous installed on. Point noted. Yes, of course, uninstalling would remove all the content entered through the module. But the hassles nameless is facing, may be a fresh install would be better considering the site has not been live yet.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)

Well no problem then. So, they auto detect if there are any modules in the core and non core directories, regardless of the path they were previous installed on. Point noted. Yes, of course, uninstalling would remove all the content entered through the module. But the hassles nameless is facing, may be a fresh install would be better considering the site has not been live yet.

Yes. That's right. Drupal will automatically detect the module placed in their modules folder. And coming to this fresh installation, if he has only little amount to content then it would be fine. But if he has large number of posts, it will be burden for him to create them again. Anyway its his choice.. so, what do you choose Nameless? :P

Heya people sorry for the late reply.:P But there is good news. YAY!!! I have upgraded my newest Drupal installation without any problem!!! :D It is a think worth congratulating (yes, talk about egoism and congratulating yourself) because I have been procrastinating this for ages. :D But anyway. Yes!!! Thanks a lot people. I'll tell you what I did. :D On a boring day where I decided to tackle my messed up problem, I disable, all my modules and the non-core theme that I was using, refreshed the page, and then I moved all the files to the sites/all/modules or sites/all/themes folder, whichever one is more appropriate, and then I refreshed the page again and checked my list of non-core and core modules to make sure that they are in the right place. :PAfter that... I search in the web for how to backup your SQL database (sorry, I still didn't get you, BCD, but thanks for the help), and then I found that you could export the database into your desktop. :D I was so scared exporting meant wiping the database off the servers and pasting it on my desktop, but anyway. B) And then I copied everything in the public_html folder and moved it to a newly created directory called "backup" - I couldn't think up of a better name. :D And then I just pasted the new version of drupal in, replaced the sites folder, and voila! I'm done. B)Yes!It was weird it didn't tell me to re install though. Must've be lucky then. I helped a friend update it and it needed installing.... :( Hmm... I don't understand. But anyway. Thanks a lot people! :D I congratulate the two of you. :D

Wow.. Congratulations Nameless for your great effort. I took me lot of time to understand your post, as it is completely filled with your face (with a tongue) :P

Even though you didn't understand what we told about backup.. still you did the same thing what we've explained. Congrats again.

If you upgrade a drupal installation, it won't ask you to reinstall unless you removed your database completely. And you need to run update.php before trying to access your website directly. And you should copy your sites folder before doing so, as your settings.php file will be in your sites/all/default folder.

May be you did something wrong with your friends installation. check everything once again.

You don't need any luck to do this :P

Wow.. Congratulations Nameless for your great effort. I took me lot of time to understand your post, as it is completely filled with your face (with a tongue) :D

Even though you didn't understand what we told about backup.. still you did the same thing what we've explained. Congrats again.

If you upgrade a drupal installation, it won't ask you to reinstall unless you removed your database completely. And you need to run update.php before trying to access your website directly. And you should copy your sites folder before doing so, as your settings.php file will be in your sites/all/default folder.

May be you did something wrong with your friends installation. check everything once again.

You don't need any luck to do this :P

Ah... OK, thanks. :P Sorry, maybe it's just me, but I seem to be addicted to smileys for some reason. :D Haha, I guess it's because I'm so happy for the success. It took a long time though, and I have to work on not procrastinating. Ah... I forgot to run update.php, but its done now. I don't know anything about settings.php, but I guess I did the right thing.

For my friends site, I just had to copy the sites folder in before it's alright again, and I didn't have to install it. It's working fine. :D

But I need luck. :D Being lucky is better than being not lucky. By the way, am I free to delete the "backup" folder now? And should I?

But I need luck. :P Being lucky is better than being not lucky. By the way, am I free to delete the "backup" folder now? And should I?

Oh, yes, being lucky is better always. But you should not depend on luck when dealing with technology.. it needs right method and perfection :P

You can safely delete your backup folder. But having a backup is always safe when things gone wrong without your consent. So regularly backup your site. It will occupy a few MB's on your desktop. But will save you from lot of headache. That's a precaution to deal with disasters :D

Oh, yes, being lucky is better always. But you should not depend on luck when dealing with technology.. it needs right method and perfection :D
You can safely delete your backup folder. But having a backup is always safe when things gone wrong without your consent. So regularly backup your site. It will occupy a few MB's on your desktop. But will save you from lot of headache. That's a precaution to deal with disasters :D

You never know... it may be luck that saved my life this time, but I guess you are right. Oh, okay, thanks. I'll delete the folder right away. :P I don't see any use for engines to index it and degrade my SEO. :D But I don't mind backuping. Seems rather fun and technical and professional, and I like all three things. Thanks a lot. It'll be my ace to disaster prevention. :P