xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inverse_bloom

Eagerly Anticipating Sherlock Holmes Movie

Hi i wondering who else wants to see this movie when it comes out? Apparently it comes out in America on Christmas Day. It comes out about mid February in Australia. From the previews it looks exciting!I've only read one novel with Sherlock Holmes in it, but it was so long ago i can barely remember it. Although, there was a series on tv quite a few years ago.Its gonna be really good i reckon, its probably going to be intense action. :P

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

The combination of Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law promises to be one of the thrilling action movie for the end of the year films.It's been a long time since Robert Downey Jr. was in any respectable film. But surprisingly he made a good review from Iron Man (2008), which even surprised my girlfriend (yes, a female who enjoyed Sci-Fi flick).I too really enjoyed sneak previews back in November. It's one of few previews I do remember vividly. Robert Downey Jr.'s acting style could turn Sherlock Holmes as blundering, clumsy, reckless yet cunning character--much different from poised, calm, sophisticated and complex Holmes from the book. But, if Star Trek can turn many die-hard trekkers into accept the fate of "out with the old, in with the new" Captain James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, I think this movie will draw different fans of Sherlock Holmes.

I've only read one novel with Sherlock Holmes in it, but it was so long ago i can barely remember it. Although, there was a series on tv quite a few years ago.

My favourite was The Hound of the Baskervilles - I remember reading it some years ago . I didn't know about this movie till now so thanks for the info. I'll be looking forward to it, although I'm not sure how they'll capture the magic in a single movie...hmmmm Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

Im not sure they'll capture the same magic or mystery in a single movie, but from the previews it definitely contains intense action. Which surprised me.

Sounds like it's going to be another disaster, not a financial disaster mind you, but an embarrassingly bad interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. Action packed? This is Sherlock Holmes, man known for his wit and intelligence, not an action star like Jet Li or Arnold Swartzeneggar. I suppose they'll take the standard hollywood formula of throwing in some guns, naked women and special effects and ruin another classic! They ALWAYS do that. They butchered the Get Smart movie I was long anticipating, squeezing out every ounce of humour and charm, and put in Anne Hathaway and guns. They did it to The Day The Earth Stood Still too. I was left in awe by the thought provoking original, and left wishing I had my life back after the FX-heavy remake. Can't blame them though, it does make money.

I used to always watch Get Smart on the T.V, it must have been popular too because it aired through most of the late 90's here in Aus. I watched about 5 minutes of the movie and put it back in the DVD cover, i can even remember the lead actor for it. Although the remake of "The Italian Job" is example of a successful remake, i like it better than the original. But the the percentage of good remakes vs bad is thin. I agree, Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be a human calculating machine devoid somewhat of emotion. Despite that fact, ill reserve that judgement while watching it, just this once. :P

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)