xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

What Are Some Good, Popular Games Released In The Last Few Years?

I haven't been paying much attention to commercial computer games for a few years, because my computer couldn't run most of them. I'm thinking about getting a new PC and I might finally be able to play some of the games I missed out on.What are some good games released in the past few years? I'm open to any genre. I can't play online games like WOW on my connection though.

Depend on what games do you like, but if i could buy some better hardwares like you do, i would like to play these games: Devil may cry 4Call of duty modern warfare (or something like that)Command and conquer Red alert 3Assassin's creedthat new nice looking rpg which i forgot the titleThe sims 3 And many others, but because i can't remember, i guess it's not that good :PWell, i will be very happy if there's metal gear solid 4 in the pc though

Hi!@rob86Till you get a new computer, you might want to try playing some of the following games.1. OpenTTDBased on Transport Tycoon Deluxe, this open-source game puts you in control of a transportation firm in which you transport cargo and passengers to beat your competitors in profit and company value. OpenTTD feature network (local area network and Internet) game play, add-on maps and artificial intelligence engines, and other plugins. I play this all the time!2. TremulousThis is a classic Unreal Tournament style (or CounterStrike style) first person shooter featuring the battle between aliens and humans. Each side has unique battle units. Playing with the alien units takes a while to get accustomed to.3. ChromiumThis is an arcade-style shooter with pretty decent graphics. It gets rather addictive as you try to beat your high score.4. GlestGlest is a real-time strategy which has a similar gameplay to Age of Empires and WarCraft. The graphics are not very advanced but still fun enough to play.5. Smokin' GunsThis game is loads of fun and beats CounterStrike thanks to its gameplay. Unlike in CounterStrike, when you shoot at your enemy, your enemy takes damage. CounterStrike often behaves in a totally unexpected manner when you shoot at point blank and the opponent takes no damage at all! This is a must-have for all of the guys in anti-CounterStrike club. The graphics are not too advanced, but it remains as a fun and addictive game. I did play Smokin' Guns for a long long time but then I decided to switch to CounterStrike Source. CounterStrike Source is not as much fun in terms of gameplay but the advanced graphics engine (from Half Life 2) really gets my computer's number crunching engine working.All of the games that I have mentioned above are free, open-source, or both. I would strongly recommend trying out Smokin' Guns even if you do get your new computer. We could probably organize tournaments on Xisto if we have got enough interest in the game - it's free, it's fun, and it supports Internet gameplay.

Serious Sam :First encounter HD version is released this year. And there is going to be next release for the 2nd encounter. Expect it in march or April. Other than that i think 3rd installment from croteam will be in august or so. Not sure, perhaps when they are done with first series and then second then they will launch for the sure.So i'm waiting for that. Also there is already DVC4. Looking forward to Resident evil release. Any idea about Unreal Tournament ?

Well, Prince Of Persia series is famous among my friends, and is my favorite also. I have wasted lot of my time just by dedicating my time to playing Prince of Persia :P A very addictive game. Grand Theft Auto (GTA) is also very popular and addictive game.

I haven't been paying much attention to commercial computer games for a few years, because my computer couldn't run most of them. I'm thinking about getting a new PC and I might finally be able to play some of the games I missed out on.
What are some good games released in the past few years? I'm open to any genre. I can't play online games like WOW on my connection though.

it totally depends on the field and area of intrest.one having a driving idea may like need for speed.igi,igi2,counter strike are good mission completing games.
i like zumma diluxe,call for duty ,IGI etc.

Yes, prince of persia is addictive one. But i never played that game after sand title of it. Reason was graphics not supported for next versions. GTA was boring for me(sorry, -sky- but that's it for me). Didn't like much of the way it is going in series. Instead i have found myself in either action or FPS games like:- Devil may cry: i have enjoyed this game a lot. It requires good graphics card to play the game now. - Return to castle wolfesein is just another game that i like.- Black hawk down:Delta force's campaigns were interesting and i enjoyed them a lot. (esp: man down man down voice :P)There are more that i can remember,i'll post as i remember them. :P

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Hey I forgot Need For Speed 7 (NFS 7). Thanks onkarnath for reminding me that. NFS is a really addictive game, if you are a race lover. When I was in Engineering we played NFS7 daily with other room mates, espicially the knock-out challenge. The person who wins the game will get the treat of the loser. A very interesting activity in my Engineering days.The NFS underground was a big disappointment for me. I never liked that game (Except Graphics, which are really good). Underground mode made me to quit the NFS totally. :P

Assassin's Creed II just recently came out; I bought it and it's a blast. I never played the first due to a few negative things I heard about it, but when I saw a review for Assassin's Creed II I just had to play it. It's well worth the money, and it lasts a good long time too. There's so many things to do in it; help build a city, race, and of course assassinate people. You also can really underestimate how much fun it is to run around a big city and annoy people, I've done that for hours at a time. Also, Fallout 3 is amazing. The world is so open and there is so much you can do. As one of the developers said in one of their E3 displays, it has "over 100 hours of gameplay," that's huge! The characters are interesting, and the story is pretty good. There are also a load of weapons and armor that are fun to use. You might already have this game, but if you don't, you should.Also got Devil May Cry 4 recently, which is a lot of fun. The dialogue can be a bit cheesy, but the underlying story is good. The gameplay is what's really important though, and this has it. Over the top action is present here, and it's a welcome guest. My dad watched me play it the other day and said "it seems like you just beat the crud out of stuff in this game and never get hurt." I did correct him on this, I get hurt all the time, but stuff is so seamless and over the top sometimes you don't even notice... Anyhow, it's also a great game that I'd highly recommend.

Hey I forgot Need For Speed 7 (NFS 7). Thanks onkarnath for reminding me that. NFS is a really addictive game, if you are a race lover. When I was in Engineering we played NFS7 daily with other room mates, espicially the knock-out challenge. The person who wins the game will get the treat of the loser. A very interesting activity in my Engineering days.
The NFS underground was a big disappointment for me. I never liked that game (Except Graphics, which are really good). Underground mode made me to quit the NFS totally. sad.gif

We have some things common. :P. Even i quit the NFS for the same reason. But now secretly keeping eye on the releases and tasting the graphics when my friends install it on their boxes. :P