xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

2012 is history now! :P The hype surrounding has gone and is now around Avatar which is directed by James Cameron who gave us Titanic. It's a 3D movie and is said to be very thrilling, exciting, exhilarating and blah blah blah. So naturally everyone seems excited to watch it. All this talk reminds me of the talk before 2012 was released. i agree that 2012 became a hit (mostly due to its special effects) but it was also blamed for some shabby acting. In Avatar the only we can only judge the actors by their voices and the rest is left to animation. So do you think this movie will live up to its full expectations or will be just another dazzling movie with a weak storyline?

2012 is history now! :P The hype surrounding has gone and is now around Avatar which is directed by James Cameron who gave us Titanic. It's a 3D movie and is said to be very thrilling, exciting, exhilarating and blah blah blah. So naturally everyone seems excited to watch it. All this talk reminds me of the talk before 2012 was released. i agree that 2012 became a hit (mostly due to its special effects) but it was also blamed for some shabby acting. In Avatar the only we can only judge the actors by their voices and the rest is left to animation. So do you think this movie will live up to its full expectations or will be just another dazzling movie with a weak storyline?

Ah, I think the movie making companies these days are simply pumping out movies that, as you said, are more "dazzling" than actually having any kind of thought-out plotline or emotional effect. I saw a 60 minutes episode on Avatar, and it looked a lot like a kids movie. Probably not something I'd like to see in the near future. If you looked at it, you'd understand what I'd mean. It kind of looks like that movie that came out earlier this year, Delgo. In fact, I'd say they practically look alike, except the dudes in Avatar are blue. If they make a more mature version of these movies, I'd probably have a little more enthusiasm for the release. Otherwise, to tell you the truth, I remain uninterested.

I think Avatar is going to be a cheesy movie full of blue characters with high pitched squealing noises invading planets...kinda like how a song would be if John Mayer and Alicia Keys were singing punk. You are right thejode. This movie is applauded for it's special effects. Not blue characters who haven't hit puberty.

Before I go out and watch Avatar - 2012 I will definately read reviews and see sneak peaks, and hear a bit of audio.Then I will go out and see the move :PAs for the 3-D part, Im guessing that this movie will have some good animations. The characters, from what everyone else has been saying, seem to have a kid-like mind and emotion. That would be the only reason for me NOT to see the movie.---As for 2012, my Science teacher says its a bunch of B.S. (Bad Science) lol.

Ok I've just returned home after watching Avatar, and I must admit, it was a really different experience. At 162 minutes, the movie seemed to drag for a while but on the whole it is worth a watch in the theater. My biggest complaint about the movie is this - it seems more like an RPG rather than a movie. I say this because all we're shown is how amazing the planet Pandora is, and how mysterious its inhibitants are and how much they care about nature. Well there's nothing wrong about it, and it actually is an intriguing theme. But halfway into the movie I was wondering "Okay the graphics are amazing but where's the story heading to?!" In the end, it's just a story about a civilization trying to defend itself from aliens, who in this case, happen to be humans!

I didn't get to watch the movie in 3D so I might have missed some of the "fun",but it was a thrilling ride nevertheless. The part where Jake learns the ways of the Na'Vi could have been cut short but it was extended, maybe just to increase the number of "amazing visuals"!

Unlike 2012, which was also heavy on graphics, this one has some decent acting. The animation is simply superb and that's a huge plus for this movie. I was a little bit let-down because this one had huge expectations, but nonetheless, I was satisfied and as people around here say, this movie is complete paisa vasool! (worth the money paid! :P)

I think Avatar is a movie that came a bit late and should have been in the theates a couple of years ago. In the time of Titanic the reality that way portrayed was missing in the latest from James Cameron. I can figure out that I am playing the video game only difference being that there are more cinematography and video scenes than the amount that can be played. The involvement was not up to the mark. I find that the movie willl get a 2and half out of 5. There can be a hell lot of improvements possible.

I agree with people who say the movies are jsut dazzling these days but this movie is all that plus a cool story line similar to the one of iraq and usa. Usa invading iraq for reasons known to all. I am certainly watching the movie and i know it is going to be awesome and better than 2012

I've seen both 2012 a few days ago and AVATAR -> Today. What can I say it completelly blew me away , saw the HD trailer and was expecting it to be good but not as good as it turned out to be. The problem is that beeing a relatively new movie if you dont want to see it on cinema and decide to watch it on PC , the quality is stil pretty Low and until an R5 quality shows up you should see it ONLY if you really can't wait a few weeks.I've seen it in telesync quality and it was stil great , loved the special effects , the story , action , everything.. if you haven't seen it , You must do it soon.It's better then 2012. Im not saying that 2012 was a bad movie but his strong point was the special effects and compared to it , Avatar has a cool story aside from effects.Go watch it :P

I think there is some form of reality in the storyline, albeit a little dig at mankind. Mankind, they have been destroying the nature either due to demand of industrial activities/populations growth demand or in search of natural resources. They would stop at nothing in their goal, same as in the movie. Only difference, the "aliens" won in the movie while in reality, apparently mankind is in position of a victory while the fall from the podium will be severe.

I went to watch it a couple days ago.Stunning.I loved it.I have to agree that some parts dragged on a bit, but over all it was great!I plan on going to see it tomorrow in IMAX 3D, and see how that is.I was talking to a few people, and they were saying they wanted to watch it, but in a different point of view. I watched it in the view of the aliens, and supported them, but now I want to watch it in the opposite, and see what I think!I also think the animation was truly stunning and inspirational. It made me want to race home, open up things like Adobe After Effects, Maya 3d, and things like that I start working on my animation skills again (since I recently dropped the practice).It was truly inspirational.

Alright I will admit, too. It was a good movie in the sense that I had hard time figuring out which was animation and which was the real thing during some of the scenes. Beside the blue skinned being, which I know they were clearly the animation or CGI, when the helicopters were firing at the giant tree, I was very impressed.But is it me or the film was way too political than it should have been? Why is that Hollywood likes to promote the myth of native peoples beating back capitalism? You have the underdog, the down and out, the unfortunate overcoming obstacles that seems nearly impossible. Yet, somehow these meek group find the way to triumphant! And was I the only one who felt uncomfortable that a man, after embedding to the native people (I think it's na'vi forgive the spelling if I'm wrong), turns against his own kind very violently. I mean bad are bad but to kill your own brother after serving the military himself? Isn't that bit extreme? I heard a young kid saying, "how come he has to kill our soldiers?"Through out the movie I just couldn't overcome the fact that creatures with that big of eyes should be nocturnal--half cat half humanoid. And the native people had cultures, if you can call it, similar to Native American and features similar to African tribal-men. Is that why the accents reminded me more of Africans than anything else?

This movie had great animation and all, but I didn't like the story very much, especially the point that the hero turns against his own kind. That is not a very good thing to preach....also, why should we bother about a battle on another planet?! A battle that the human race ends up losing - why should we applaud that!!! But anyway, this movie should definitely be watched for its awesome animation effects

Edited by H.O.D (see edit history)

My thoughtAvatar - The Next 2012?

I thought the movie was very good & the effects were spot on,as for the story line I thought it was very interesting...Similar in many ways to the north American Indians of the 18,19th century & present day tribes of south America,etc...

Big business & power hungry people consume all with little thought of people or animals in there way...Usually money or power driven...Perhaps there are some lessons to be learned from the movie...Fact is you don't have to travel to another world to see or hear of land being taken & people,animals being exploited...It happens right hear on earth & to are own people... 

I think Avatar has far surpassed anything 2012 ever hoped to be. 2012 is eye candy, yes, but it's forgettable. I did see it in theaters (I have not seen Avatar yet) and I would have to say you pretty much have to see it in theaters to get any enjoyment out of that movie. I found it hilarious that the girl's husband is stuck dying in one of the most gruesome ways possible (in that cogwheel thing that controls the door)and like 10 minutes later she's making out with John Cusack. It was really disappointing but I will admit it did have some awesome CGI in it. :)

Avatar is now officially the highest grossing movie in the history of cinemam and James Cameron has been dubbed 'King of the world' all over again! :) Well if it were not for the prices of 3D, I'm sure it would have taken much longer to reach that mark. But anyhow now it is the king and no one will ever forget it - long hail avatar! :D