xisto Community
ghost of delete key

I'm Finally Here! Where else would I wind up?

Hello, everyone. I'm here after many long weeks of hunting and lurking, looking for just the right place to host a specialized service. I've been with another well-known host for a bit, and have become dissatisfied with the restrictions it places on their PHP features.

Sure, I'm a cheapskate, but who isn't, really? :P

Seriously though, I've been putting off the inevitability of "post-to-host" scenarios for a while, but after some reluctant research, have come to the conclusion that it may be just what will get me where I want to be.

I've read quite a bit of these boards now, and I have to admit, these are far more impressive than others of this ilk. I look forward to spamming contributing to this community, and getting a quality service site running in good time.

One thing, though...

I've checked out the procedures for signing up for the free hosting plans, and after registering this account, went to the Xisto billing link as directed.

I'm having a serious issue, as the reg page is refusing to recognize the awesome security of my chosen password(s!), and keeps telling me that my phone number is not valid! :P

I haven't found a suitable help link for that, so if anyone can direct me to a specific link, I would be greatly indebted.

Anyway, I must run for now, but I'll be back soon for more (of course :D )

See y'all tonight.

Welcome to the Xisto. I am sure you will not regret being here.As for the issues you are having with the xisto registration, What format are you using for the telephone number?

Welcome GoD, good to have you on board. You should be up and running after about 20 posts max, possibly 10 or so based on your post above. That will get you the basic package at 2 bucks a month, this you may already know. There is a slightly more secure package with more features at 6 dollars i believe. If you want a Static dedicated IP address, that is an extra 2 dollars a month. Anyways, i appreciate seeing good avatars like yours, good luck!

Welcome to the Xisto. I am sure you will not regret being here.
As for the issues you are having with the xisto registration, What format are you using for the telephone number?

It's like:
(xxx) yyy-zzzz

Why... don't tell me it requires some sort of Martian format? :D

Or could it be that it checks a phone registry and comes up with a different name? :P

Welcome GoD, good to have you on board. You should be up and running after about 20 posts max, possibly 10 or so based on your post above. That will get you the basic package at 2 bucks a month, this you may already know. There is a slightly more secure package with more features at 6 dollars i believe. If you want a Static dedicated IP address, that is an extra 2 dollars a month.
Anyways, i appreciate seeing good avatars like yours, good luck!

Hey, thanks! Refresh your page often, the avatar is on a rotator. BTW, I usually am called GoDK or ghost. :P
Godk also translates to "agree" or "approved" in some Scandinavian languages from what I understand.
You've an interesting username yourself, there.

Thanks for the package details; I have seen these in the intro vectors. I don't know If I'm all that concerned about a static dedicated IP, or wicked good security. Just as long as I can run a healthy dose of PHP script to process images living on outside URLs.
Do I understand correctly that I can park a .co.cc domain in a Xisto account? That's basically all I would need, but a healthy spread of bells and whistles would be nice too.
I can also upgrade/downgrade as needed too, no?

And yes, I can be a bit verbose. I usually live at GTAForums, and although I haven't been active in GTA modding for a while, I am still quite active in the GenChat and Web/Programming boards there with a few thousand posts and a gold-medal rep so to speak.
It's an interesting place. :D

Anyway, so far as I see, this place is pretty large, and there's a lot to see and say around here, and has quite a different character than my usual haunts. I also see that I'll have to get used to the bbcode here, it's a bit different from what I'm used to.

One thing I haven't located yet is exactly what the PHP (and other scripting language) features are for Xisto.
I've gotten the impression that they surpass those of other freehosts, but I haven't seen the details.
Any links to a phpinfo page? :D

Thanks again folks, and I'll see ya 'round the boards.

It's like:(xxx) yyy-zzzz

Why... don't tell me it requires some sort of Martian format? :P

Have you tried numbers only? I don't remember what format i typed mine in, but if any characters other than numbers were used, it would be nothing more than hyphens.

I think the security is the same for all of the hosting, unless you want to deal with the president over some secure connection in which case i think Xisto might be the wrong choice!!The main difference is the dedicated IP, custom NS and various extras like silly amounts of bandwidth and storage space and possibly extra logging features.

Have you tried numbers only? I don't remember what format i typed mine in, but if any characters other than numbers were used, it would be nothing more than hyphens.

Not yet, I'm about to give it another spin in a few minutes. I'll try that, thanks.

I think the security is the same for all of the hosting, unless you want to deal with the president over some secure connection in which case i think Xisto might be the wrong choice!!
The main difference is the dedicated IP, custom NS and various extras like silly amounts of bandwidth and storage space and possibly extra logging features.

Heh, I really don't care to converse with the President, I'm not exactly a fan. I'll leave him to his Blackberry.
The ridiculous amounts of bandwidth are very attractive, though. I'll likely need it should my thing take off. :P

@ inverse_bloom: I just looked at the links at your site, and I just found a few resources therein for which I've recently been searching.
My humble suggestions for links to add to your collection:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
These are great galleries of "cutting edge" design, as are many of the sites they showcase.

https://snook.ca/
This guy gives away a lot of great hacks and "secrets". I've learned quite a bit there. :P

I'm already liking the heck out of this place, and I've hardly ventured beyond the front door!

welcome to the Trap, GoDK, that's quite a long name you have :Pyou've made 3 post with that length... amazing. i wonder how many myCENT will you get on your 5th post, obviously bigger than mine, since i'm such a short poster :Pgood thing that you finally registered on Trap, it's quite a nice place with many amazing, talented people and huge knowledge base to learn (and don't forget the fact that i offer you the free hosting without ads, yeah :D ). so... let me congrats, though it almost 24 hours ago, but just let me congrats because i want to :Dabout the phone number, try to put it "number only" like ( xxxyyyzzz ) or your mobile phone number. i put my mobile and that worked for me

It all depends how you entered the phone number. In most cases you might have mistyped your phone number. Or ther is a hyphen missing somewhere.In one of the sites about market survey the hyphen position was wrong and I had a great deal of trouble to deal with before I could prove my genuinity. There is no other way but to get in touch with the admin and resolve the matter.Mods, you may close the topic after the problem gets solved after giving a glimpse of what the solution was.

Cheers for the links, by coincidence ive actually been looking at updating that section only today, so thats great. I particularly like the CSS link its got some great stuff to look at there. Regarding the look of my site i compare it with the best, keeps me modest and i become better skilled for it. :PRegarding your phone number issue, like FouGilang suggested i put my mobile in for that. It seemed to fit so i just went along with it. :P

WOOT!

Ok, I figured out what the problem was...

Apparently, the input panel doesn't like punctuation.

I simply entered the number as xxx yyy zzzz instead of (xxx) yyy-zzzz, and it took it! :P

And as far as the password went, I wound up using the password generator at https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm to create one that the panel decided was strong enough to accept.

welcome to the Trap, GoDK, that's quite a long name you have :D

Thanks. 'ghost of delete key' is long? :D

It's what I use wherever I can, that or GoDK, and I've got it in VeriSign/OpenID as it will eventually be my trademark/servicemark.

I've had problems in the past with usurpers using it around other forums posting like asshats, which makes me crazy mad. I've spent a good long time making a reputable name for myself around the web, so you know what I mean.

I also currently have an issue with some nut in Japan who has taken some of my 3D models for GTA Vice City and the Myriad Islands mod project, and converted them for San Andreas, not only without my permission, but has also claimed co-authorship as well!!

I'm having a hell of a time getting his forum and hosting taken down, as I can't parse Nihongo very well, and the services he's using don't seem to have Abuse contacts. :D

I'll get him though, even if I have to DDoS his *bottom*. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone, but I've seriously considered it.

I hate rippers with all my guts.

But I digress. Nice to meet you. :P

Mods, you may close the topic after the problem gets solved after giving a glimpse of what the solution was.

:D

I wasn't aware this was a bug ticket.

I'm guessing this will stay open as others in the boards may want to introduce themselves to me.

...which is very cool; everyone who's responded so far has been helpful, and/or has something interesting and useful in their sig links.

I haven't gotten anything on today's agenda done for all the link chasing I've done in the past several hours. B) This is great. Keep em' coming!

Regarding the look of my site i compare it with the best, keeps me modest and i become better skilled for it.

Ah, a kindred spirit. I feel the same way myself.

btw, I like how clean your interface is. And your 3D skills rawk! You really need to make that car available the the GTA modding community, if you haven't already. The will honor you as a ModGod. :D

Some in-game screencaps of stuff I've modeled for Vice... a Lancia 037:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the sweeper truck model that was ripped:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope these didn't take up too much space. :D

See y'all around.

Thanks. 'ghost of delete key' is long?

yup, it took about 20 characters, and need to be .....-ed there :Pbut i guess i know how you must feel about it, and why you make it your name :P