xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inverse_bloom

Chilled Monkey Brains... Anyone?

I was wondering hypothetically speaking, how much money would you expect if someone was to dare you to eat chilled monkey brains?

http://www.indianajones.de/indy2/pics/film/doom_41.jpg

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/kinser/images/cebus13.jpg

Apparently there are many nutrients to be obtained from eating a brain :o , i'd imagine it would taste like mm... maybe cabbage? Personally i reckon someone would need to dare me a decent laptop before id eat some baked brains, id also prefer to have it cut into small pieces and added into a bowl of fruit loops. 

Has anyone ingested brains before ? :) Did it make you feel like a wild cannibal? as this has some stigma associated with it. Would anyone if dared, eat a blood clotted smoking monkey brain for a price? I'm not sure i would, but i guess it depends.  :D

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Ewwww. No way, i'm going to eat that. And as far as i know i never ingested brains or yucky parts of animals. I need to get those zombie viruses (as shown in movie like Resident Evil) to eat some brains and blood gore way. @_@. Not gonna try it >_< ever.

Well, I don't see why eating brains is so much different than eating any other organs of an animal. And I don't see why eating monkey meat is so much different than eating fish or beef?Eating sheep's brains and many other animals' brains like pig's brains is accepted in many countries, so why is monkey so different?Some tribes that live near or inside rain forests do eat monkey meat. Media brainwashing... What if I told you eating deer meat is disgusting? You'd be wondering why. So I'm wondering why are monkey brains so disgusting to you?I would eat those freaking brains(if I got them prepared for free :)), but only if I'm sure they have been handled carefully and the preparer has a sense of hygiene(like any other food). I know that if you cook brains(boil), they become very slimy-kind of thing. So if it's cooked in a way that they aren't slimy and actually taste like something, I would. I would not eat raw brains tho, because of hygiene.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Don't you watch movies like Indiana Jones? We'll if they don't like it, then i don't either?:o. Your one of those notorious monkey, sheep, pig brain advocates, aren't you? :) . Personally id rather be a vegetarian but my body isn't built that way and i do weights anyway so...?

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Don't you watch movies like Indiana Jones? We'll if they don't like it, then i don't either :D . Your one of those notorious monkey, sheep, pig brain advocates, aren't you? :) . Personally id rather be a vegetarian but my body isn't built that way and i do weights anyway so...

:D Indiana Jones sux :o

And FYI, I have only tasted sheep brains, once, and I didn't like the taste. :D
Anyway, someone should try eating monkey brains and told me if they taste good or not. Then, if they did taste good, I'd eat. I don't think it's very healthy tho, since brains have a lot of fat in them, so maybe I would eat one half for lunch with some fries and the other half for breakfast between bread slices B)

Ah, the monkey brain. I remember reading the rumours that people eat it, and that the monkeys are made drunk by rice wine, then their skull is cracked open and the brain is spooned out while it's still pulsing with blood. I don't think I'd eat monkey brain. I doubt I would eat any animal's brain. I know cow/sheep brain is a bit common in the US and the UK, but it's not my thing. Maybe if it was deep fried and crispy? Probably not, yuck! I'm relatively open minded when it comes to food, but I'm not so open minded my brains would fall-- nevermind, that joke was in poor taste!

There's a wikipedia entry on Monkey Brains, which you might have already seen anyway. Here's an interesting bit,

In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), chilled monkey brains are served as a dessert in a scene set in India. Hindus revere monkeys due to mythological character Hanuman in the epic Ramayana and a significant number of Hindus are lacto-vegetarians. The movie was banned in India for its "racist portrayal of Indians and overt imperialistic tendencies".[10]

I didn't know ToD was banned in India!

I am now wondering which food I would prefer to eat, Monkey brains or Prairie Oysters. If I had to choose, I think I'd go with the monkey brains...

I would probably give it a try for just the experience, that that is just my adventurous nature coming out. I mean I have eaten some disgusting things in the past such as snail. Probably the most interesting food I have tasted is desert scorpion. It has a very unique flavor that is not found any where else. So in short, yes I would give it a shot and would not expect anything in return.

In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), chilled monkey brains are served as a dessert in a scene set in India. Hindus revere monkeys due to mythological character Hanuman in the epic Ramayana and a significant number of Hindus are lacto-vegetarians. The movie was banned in India for its "racist portrayal of Indians and overt imperialistic tendencies".[10]

:) Deluded people. They even banned PS3 game "hanuman" which was based on mythologicl character. I never seen that TOD was banned in india. All of IJ movies set is available in india's leading movie renting and buying stores. I doubt about it, i think it was just limited about screening of the movie.

I recall the scene in the movie "Faces of Death" where the gleeful restaurant patrons sat around cracking the monkey's skull open with little mallets before scooping out the brains... Quite disturbing, and not something which can be erased from memory. :P Nothing I would eat, either.

Cooked brains are alright... although I can't speak for monkey, but calf brains have a texture and taste similar to scrambled eggs.

While visiting the Philippines, I have had monkey... not the brains, mind you, but the meat, grilled. It's apparently a common thing eaten there, as I found it being grilled and served on street carts, along with chicken legs. It was very good, something like pork, but something like veal.

Maybe it's only sold to tourists, I don't know, but I was game.

The balut, however... no way in hell I'm putting an exhumed rotten duck egg in my mouth. I don't care if it's called "the food of life", it looks and smells like death. :P

This is nothing to be strange about as we already know about sperm banks and baby naval deposits. These are techniques followed by ancestors to store remains of the dead or living fossilized in snow. These fossilized remains would last for generations and act as a memento to the tribes.Now with the advent of science and civilization advancing so fast, it is a common practice to keep the dead in the chilled morgue to prevent decay. There are instances in the history where the solders are mummified and kept on the museums for display.You have a choice to see the monkey brain but indeed there are human dead brains that are kept for medical studies for decades to see the effect of cold freezing ice. Medical science also tries to analyze the evolution process being affected by climate including icy cold.

yea remember that faces of death movie....they made three, didn't they? they put the monkey head on you table and you're supposed to crack it open yourself. i've eaten brain before....heck...i've tried a lot of crap just to say i did it but i wont crack a skull to do it haha. i mean, it's not like cracking upoen a crab leg.

ya, those filipinos have those chicken fetuses that they crack open and eat. the eggs incubate inderneath the ground and you know when they are ready to crack open and eat by holding it up to the light as the egg gets more transparent over time. i'd probably try it if the opportunity ever arose....but NOT monkey brains!

yea, cow brains is what i tried when living in california. i tried some when a friend of mine ordered some. they do taste like scrambled eggs. they even look like scrabbled eggs the way they prepared it at some mexican food place. that reminds me of the time when tasting cow intestine in mexico once. i will never do that again. i think the crap was still in it. it was NASTY. i only order tacos when i am there now :D

I recall the scene in the movie "Faces of Death" where the gleeful restaurant patrons sat around cracking the monkey's skull open with little mallets before scooping out the brains... Quite disturbing, and not something which can be erased from memory. :P Nothing I would eat, either.

Cooked brains are alright... although I can't speak for monkey, but calf brains have a texture and taste similar to scrambled eggs.

While visiting the Philippines, I have had monkey... not the brains, mind you, but the meat, grilled. It's apparently a common thing eaten there, as I found it being grilled and served on street carts, along with chicken legs. It was very good, something like pork, but something like veal.

Maybe it's only sold to tourists, I don't know, but I was game.

The balut, however... no way in hell I'm putting an exhumed rotten duck egg in my mouth. I don't care if it's called "the food of life", it looks and smells like death. :P

that reminds me of the time when tasting cow intestine in mexico once. i will never do that again. i think the crap was still in it. it was NASTY.

@ anwiis post 12 - Eww... yummy! The mexicans must have very diverse tastes. Either that or they like to play jokes on their customers. :P Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Yeah, I remember meeting someone from mexico who had loved brain and intestine tacos. Gross! Aren't sausage casing made out intestines, or do they not use that anymore? I don't mind sausages, they taste alright.

Hi!

You have not seen unusual till you've looked at this page:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artunusualdelicacies.html

Some of the items that the page mentions about are hedgehogs, fried grasshoppers, chocolate-dipped ants, snails, and elephant trunks. When somebody compares locusts to shrimps, that kind of makes your tummy feel funny :P