xisto Community
Lyon2

Review My Website, If You Can! Now really, please review my site with quality

I finished the website i wanted to create for years, i took some time and it took me 2 months to finish it, it really took more then 60 days to make it like i wanted for so long, i used to use a blog, i still do but the blog will be continued in January 2010 (freeflashclocks.eu).

I am just asking for your cleaver review, make it count please, i want to improve it even further, so please take the time to help me, if you can! :) he he he.

My flash clocks website
http://flash-clocks.com/

Thanks in advance.

Very good design,no errors or something,clean code and a perfect site.Perfect colors,contrast,and good image for logo.I can't say you have a hole in something,i can see you are working good.Haha,for a month to create a design like this.Just try to fill the right sidebar,with links or some script for bookmarking website.You didn't needed to add the drop-down menu on the bottom but anyway it looks cool.This is one of the best sites i saw,and i rate it 10/10 :o I can see you take care for the design,you add colors and backgrounds witch remind on something like clocks.So i got some feelings that this site is for clocks,without to see the title.Continue like this,i can see you are good at Flash and HTML/CSS.Nice thing is providing custom clocks...If you want we can make some link exchange.If you want to make it very very perfect,instead of adding the HTML text for clocks in textarea,add them in quoted area.Styling blockquote tag is simple,like other elements.So you are good at graphic i can see,you have:

Free Website Templates.Free Flash Clocks Site. or Free Flash Clocks Blog
Free Logotypes.
Free Website Buttons.
Free Icons.
Free Windows XP Wallpapers.
Free Banners.
Free Forum Sigs.
Free Website Headers.

PS:I just saw you are saying that you have tousands of users on your page which is not possible for website which launched for a day :) Why you lie,when there aren't some visitors,plus i can't see informations about your website on alexa
Edited by TheDarkHacker (see edit history)

rvalkass,he's website is looking good at all web browsers.You can't believe in w3.org that your website doesn't look good in other web-browsers if there are warnings.Can you check Google with w3's validator? It gives warnings for HTML,same as MSN,as Yahoo,Bing,Gmail....Plus,HTML does not matter that much like CSS matters.All popular HTML pages are with errors.But lots of websites are using CSS with no errors.So don't worry for HTML errors,and don't hear rvalkass :) You have no errors,as you can see with going here Because and your website winegumkestrel has errors,plus it doesn't have 5,it has 31 :o Sorry rvalkass,but i don't accept with this post.

Overall good design, I would look more into the top navigation bar. The white to black gradient for the active and hovered button does it's job but I get the feeling it doesn't fit in with the other buttons. So try out a background color of #521d1d, maybe that works(you can try making a gradient that has around the same color)

There are many grammar errors as well, which doesn't fit in the picture of a professional site you create in the "About Us"-page.

And you're using flat files. Which is totally fine since you aren't running a complicated website that would need dynamic content, but if you made your site dynamic, the management of content would be much easier on your end. So I recommend it, you waste less time with code and more time doing those nice flash clocks.

The way you give your e-mail address and IM contact IDs is dangerous. You'll get tons of spam. So use an image instead or make a php contact form.

It's also not very professional to have a contact e-mail of a business with a popular domain name such as gmail.com. Rather use the e-mail of your domain. I think google has some tools for this.

All popular HTML pages are with errors.But lots of websites are using CSS with no errors

Those are errors, but those are hacks which make the site compatible with all browsers. So don't hear TDH on this one, instead fix the errors, and your site will be mobile-compatible too.

But as I look at the source, I don't really think you made this on your own, but used a template or something else. So don't fix those HTML errors if you don't know what you're doing.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

I appreciate all comments, though i think html errors are not that important in my opinion, every major browser opens my site as it should if i am not mistaken, at least according to last time i checked which was not so long ago.I agree with the e-mail thing, i will check out Google tools for this, though gmail has the best anti-spam filters, i could be using my own domain e-mail but i had several business deals lost and other almost lost because the web hosting e-mail server was not working, so it is always a risk using your own domain name as the e-mail to get your deals, i used to use it but i know i lost a few deals for custom flash clocks.I do not get a spam message using my gmail account at my current domain and my old domain (freeflashclocks.eu, which is not working until January 2010), like i said, gmail is the best in spam issues, and you can use your own filters as well if in fact you get some spam e-mails, but you are right, and i will check Google tools for this, perhaps it asks to validate the domain with some metadata key or some html file to upload to my server root, but i appreciate if you could redirect me from here without having to search for it.The grammar errors will be fixed, thanks, next time point them out if you can, at least one please, so i will know what you are referring to, i check all spelling but sometimes the dictionaries and lack of time are against me.Thank you all, even to rvalkass, i know you for a long time here at Xisto, so i count on you to help me with some comments on the design if you want, thanks.Sure we can exchange links, give me the link so i can take a look ok?Thanks for your nice comments, and the textarea tip, the point was to make it noticeable, but some color would make it better for sure.-------Yes i did on my own, the template was built with ezgenerator, it is a program with templates, but not like my site is, i improved it a lot and changed many things by editing the source code of html and css files, i really can not understand why you say i did not made this on my own, please explain.-------TheDarkHacker, this domain is not exactly new, but most of the traffic comes from freeflashclocks.eu work i made, but i had a problem with hat domain, it is going back up online at January 2010, and freeflashclocks.eu is still on top of every site about flash clocks and it is offline for 1 or 2 weeks.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

Why not to hear me? If you call that hacks,you don't know what is hack.Just look at which kind of errors Google has.Flash-Clocks.com website should not be fixed,the only errors are only doubled:

end tag for "SPAN" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this

I looked the code of his website and for me, it is 100 times better then Google's :) So people,just look at his code and then say things about that.Another thing, mobile browsers aren't so old, so the only thing which makes website to look terrible on phone is javascript and css.He do not use special JavaScripts,and his CSS is with no errors.Just continue on this way and add more clocks.Sorry because you had your website long time,but i didn't know about that.Anyway,people if you want to talk about something can't you look good at things,instead of saying so much when you don't know informations.For commenting website and it's source,you can't do that for a second,you need 2 minutes minimum.I can see he has a error which he should fix,but it is not that urgent,so you say all this.

It is a nice layout, but all that space on the right just for a search form? Take out that second column and move the search form to the bottom right area of the banner or something. Likewise, remove the text in the banner and make it real text and position it more to the bottom right area of the banner.

i think html errors are not that important in my opinion, every major browser opens my site as it should if i am not mistaken, at least according to last time i checked which was not so long ago.

All "you" (i quote this word as it could have been EZGenerator) did was forget to close one HTML element. Even though it shows 6 errors, you only need to fix one line of code, not six. Not sure if other mistakes are found in the other pages, though.

Excellent design, really nice overall!

Just one thing:

We are a team of persons who enjoy create flash clocks, we used to be a lot more but most of our team went to work on their own projects and websites, however we all have a passion for clocks and everything about it, it became so about 25 years ago for some of us.

On your "About Us" page, you say that. It's incorrect grammar, and should be:

We are a team of people who enjoy creating flash clocks. We used to have more people but most of our team went to work on their own projects and websites, however, we all have a passion for clocks and everything about it, some of us loving clocks from about 25 years ago.

Hope this helps ^^

rvalkass,he's website is looking good at all web browsers.You can't believe in w3.org that your website doesn't look good in other web-browsers if there are warnings.Can you check Google with w3's validator? It gives warnings for HTML,same as MSN,as Yahoo,Bing,Gmail....Plus,HTML does not matter that much like CSS matters.All popular HTML pages are with errors.But lots of websites are using CSS with no errors.So don't worry for HTML errors,and don't hear rvalkass :D You have no errors,as you can see with going here

Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right! :) This is how the problems were caused when Microsoft released IE7. They finally decided to fix most of the rendering bugs from IE6 so that they actually met the W3 standards. The problem was that most web developers had totally ignored the standards and used various hacks and fixes to make their sites work specifically with IE6. The standards are there for everyone to follow - including people who code browsers. If you follow them then you are guaranteed to always have your site displayed correctly. If you use hacks and have errors then your site may work now, but not in the future.

Because and your website winegumkestrel has errors,plus it doesn't have 5,it has 31 :D Sorry rvalkass,but i don't accept with this post.

The errors on that page are caused by a single URL being encoded incorrectly :o I'm redesigning the site anyway, so those errors will be gone soon, but thanks for bringing them to my attention.

I appreciate all comments, though i think html errors are not that important in my opinion, every major browser opens my site as it should if i am not mistaken, at least according to last time i checked which was not so long ago.

As I've said above, following the standards is incredibly important to make sure your site displays correctly in all new browsers being released. Coding your page to the current quirks of certain versions of certain browsers is not a good idea as it makes the code a nightmare and makes it difficult to maintain. Following the standards ensures your site always displays correctly in all current and future browser versions.

Thank you all, even to rvalkass, i know you for a long time here at Xisto, so i count on you to help me with some comments on the design if you want, thanks.

Of course. I was just a little short on time last night. The colours work well, especially the maroon background - it's different, but not overpowering. It could perhaps have a slight pattern or gradient to make it a bit more interesting, but it does work as it is at the moment. I would also perhaps move the text in your banner towards the bottom right hand corner, off the watch and just onto the sand. The text could also stand out a bit more from the background image. Having the entire right side bar just contain a small search box seems like a waste of space. I'd move the search box to the top of the main content area and expand its width.

The sheer number of Flash elements on the page makes scrolling painful. I know Flash is an integral part of the site, but could you replace each clock with a static image, perhaps with a button to cause some Javascript to replace the image with the live clock if the user wants to see it? That would allow them to see what each clock looks like without the massive slowdown of having tons of Flash elements on one page.

On a side note - all of your clocks link to your old site, and currently the link is dead. Dead links aren't good for SEO and will cause frustration to your users.

Here is some observation from my side:- Design is good especially the top header nav bar is good.- Color used for background was good but less attractive. Find some good color combos for flash sites(or sites with flash widgets).- Top header image is good and no matter what don't change it. - Do check the site look for other browsers. I tried it on firefox, you should check it woth other browsers as well. That's all from me, i know short one. Keep it up with your site.

Yes i did on my own, the template was built with ezgenerator, it is a program with templates, but not like my site is, i improved it a lot and changed many things by editing the source code of html and css files, i really can not understand why you say i did not made this on my own, please explain.

Well, usually when people code CSS on their own(from the start), they have logical names for element classes and IDs. I saw that your css file had a lot of classes which contained numbers and letter combinations which didn't make sense. Let me say that using ready-made templates and modifying them to your needs is not a negative thing in any sense. I just told that if you're not familiar with the code, don't edit it to fix the errors, as you might cause some other errors. Nothing negative... Peace out.

And the grammar errors aren't fixable with spell-checkers and dictionaries, as those only check the spelling of the words. The first grammar errors I found were in the about us page as somebody here already pointed out. However, I didn't have any time to dig deeper, sorry.

As for google tools, I don't know how they work. I have used php contact forms and e-mail redirects on the server side. I set up the contact form to send the message to an address which had my domain name. Then I redirected it using the e-mail redirecting in CPanel.

I tested this website with Internet Explorer,Firefox and Opera.Working super,and fast.And,for the exchange,my website is Casual Techie.com .If you want we can have a deal,but only a test,to see how much results we can get.If you got some visitors,and i got visitors we will continue.If not, the future is removing link :) Plus,what you want,a banner,text-link,or pop-up? I would choose a little banner.I looked good at your HTML and you should fix the span tags,before closing paragraph.Anyway it shows the same on all web-browsers and it is working.I didn't saw that you are using template,can i see it? Just to check how much changes you did.And,i can see you copied flash clocks from your old website,so when i click on a clock i am redirected to your old page.Open your clocks with Flash and modify that.And are you creating all that or you are downloading them,then modifying with Flash?Because they are looking identical with lots of others i can see on the net.I think i have a idea,you should change your favicon,so it will be clock instead of star.

Thanks for the grammar tip on the about us page, you know, i am not English nor american nor from an English speaking country, i am Portuguese (i was born in France), so a lot of languages influence my writing, you are right nevertheless.For he last comment, i was hoping for your comments, all comments are important but as for old members like myself here at Xisto, the comments become very important because of obvious reasons., i thanks, and i understand your reason, that is ok.The sidebar with the search for is not to be taken, i still have a lot of things to do there, and my plan is to insert bookmarks all over the sidebar, i still have not figure it out which bookmarks and how but i will for sure, it is now a matter of time.As for so many flash elements on the home page and flash clock gallery is something you are also right, i have powerful computers so i can not really say it slows down my computer system performance, but i think now i should consider reduce the size of each flash clock from 200x200 to 150x150, or perhaps to 100x100 like my biggest competitor does (Clocklink.com), my point is to really take him out on our game, but it is a little soon.You are right again, when you talk about following standards, my website runs in Firefox, Internet explorer, maxthon and opera but, i really should consider fixing all errors because someday i could have a lot more then 5, which could lead to an incomplete load of my website pages, my point was that ,y 5 errors are still not that important...for now, TheDarkHacker has a point, all major and most popular websites have html errors nowadays, it is not that i should follow their "advice" but there are more important things for now, but i will correct each one.

It is better we exchange links with text links, text links are better for search engines, i will create a friends page with my friends links, are you ok with that?

All my flash clocks were built by myself, i have been creating flash clocks for more then 5 years, only about 1 year ago i decided to encrypt the code inside each flash clock and also put an invisible layer above each clock with a link to my domain, but before i did not encrypt nor insert any extra protection layers, so many people used my flash clocks as they wanted, many even sold and claimed they were their, i was pissed but i could not do a thing because i was doing it for fun, that is wahy some of my flash clocks are on the internet, but not that much, out of 157 new flash clocks i built this year (not counting every custom flash clock i created which is a lot more then 150), you will only find a few on the internet without my invisible layer with my domain link.

My old websites where i shared completely free flash clocks were at:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://free-flash-clocks.freehostia.com/

------------------

freeflashclocks.eu will be back up online at January and i will continue my work with both domains, so the seo stuff rvalkass is going to be fixed, this domain is only to keep my old members and flash clocks users, which are tens of thousands, more then 60.000 users at the time i checked awstats and google analytics.

------------------

google domain tools is only if you pay, i checked and i could not find my solution, your solution is to create a domain email with my cpanel and redirect using redirect, i used to use it but if the e-mail server is not working, you will not get the redirects, so i will loose deals has i did once before, and as for a contact form, i also used to use it but there are times that php gives errors as well as the email server, and i do not want to loose deals.

Thanks for the favicon tip, it is not that i never thought of it but i think i must change to a clock, i like stars so i used one, some things i just use for fun, but i want this to be a professional website, so you are right again.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)